Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here in Pre-op process - Anxiety & PCOS

Hi everyone! I'm new here. I just started my journey to a healthier me. I'm still deciding which procedure I would like to get, but I wanted to hear from some of you who had severe anxiety prior to going through this process. I take meds daily for my anxiety and I have suffered from Panic Disorder in the past. An anxious concern I have is the release of all those hormones when you lose the fat. Has anyone's anxiety disorder gotten worse from the surgery? And if so, did you find that it calmed down the closer you got to your goal weight? I'm one of those ppl that is "too in tune" with my body which is part of the issue lol Any input is greatly appreciated. (I'm also anxious about whether I can handle the "new me" after I lose all the weight)

Also, any ladies with PCOS? I was wondering if you found that the surgery significantly helped out with the metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance from PCOS.

Edited by Denali717

Hi there! I just had a VSG done on 10/27. I have PCOS also. It’s too early for me to tell how the surgery has affected the syndrome but the nurse practitioner stressed the need to get on some sort of birth control post op because fertility does usually increase after bariatric surgery. I’m interested to see what others say.
Hope all goes well with you.

I have PCOS and C-PTSD which results in a lot of anxiety--I didn't really have issues with feeling anxious following my surgery but I did go through a couple weeks right after the surgery where EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) was making me cry (even things that made me happy!). The tea tastes really good? Cry. My fiance has been gone for five minutes longer than he said? Cry. I see a cute dog on YouTube? Cry.

It's resolved itself pretty quickly, but your system is kind of going to be all over the place and it's probably important to make sure the people surrounding you the first couple weeks know that's normal, and you're not really losing it.

I suffer from anxiety as well and have had a handful of full blown attacks. I was actually surprised that my anxiety level going into this was not through the roof. I think it helped that the surgeon operated on my uncle twice and they think he is the best doctor ever and a friend of a friend just got the same surgery done by him and had no issues either. I also read that the chances of dying are less than the chance of dying in a car crash and I figure the chance of a car crash doesn’t stop me from driving so why would a similar chance of a severe complication stop me from getting a surgery I want and need. Afterwards, my moods were a bit all over the place (I have bipolar disorder so this is not totally uncommon for me but it was different). It was from the surgery. I was just very hyper sensitive and emotional with a bit of anxiety. Nothing I couldn’t handle myself and work through though. I would say just to let your psychiatrist know that you will be getting surgery and that you may need some temporary adjustments to your medications and don’t be afraid to call and ask for those changes if you need them. I, thankfully didn’t have to change anything but my bipolar and anxiety were pretty stable with my meds going into it.

I have generalised anxiety disorder, but it’s no longer severe (not bc of surgery). I got to a place where I only saw my psychologist every couple of months for ‘routine maintenance’, but started seeing her more regularly before my surgery and now see her every three weeks po just to sort through all these feelings.
I would really recommend working with a professional for support, ideally if possible someone who you already know and trust. Having someone who you can tell your deepest and darkest thoughts and fears to has lightened my load immensely po.

The first week I was too tired to be anxious, but the two weeks after were a little rough. I have always self soothed with food and even though I prepared myself as much as possible beforehand, the reality of that comfort being taken away was difficult. I think I felt more gloomy and sorry for myself than anxious though.. although I do now struggle with some anxiety related to the weight loss (since +- 5 weeks po), but I really don’t think that’s because of any hormones (more me not believing in myself, which leads to a lot of my anxiety in the first place).
I’m now 9 weeks po so I couldn’t tell you how it changes when weight loss slows down.
Good luck with everything! 😄🌸