Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I am 2 weeks post op lapband to bypass conversion. I have experienced dumping about 5 times already and it’s just absolutely so horrible. I’m not drinking while I eat, I’m still on mushy foods. It’s happened to me from tuna fish, last night it was from half a Protein Shake. I thought it was supposed to be from having too much sugar or fatty foods. Has anyone experienced it this often even while eating what you’re supposed to be eating?
It’s so disheartening and is making me regret this surgery so bad. And yes, I know this is a question for my doctor who I will be in touch with. Just looking for any personal experiences and if it got better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get this hot feeling flash over me. I start breaking out in a sweat but freezing at the same time. Super lightheaded and nauseous. Until it ends about an hour later either by throwing up or diarrhea. It’s so horrible I don’t even know what to do with myself when it’s happening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That does sound like early dumping, except the throwing up part. Check with your Doc as it almost seems like a stricture.

I couldn't throw up unless something is stuck and even then it's more akin to spitting up. Since we have no pyloric valve our food/drink drops straight to the intestines so after a minute there is nothing in a place where it could through up. This is why I think stricture or similar could be in play.

Check your Protein Drink. Not all are for weight control. Some have copious amounts of sugar.

Bang on your surgeon's head until he gets the message you need help. Bring the Protein drink and throw up on him you have have to.

Don't get discouraged you will get through this.

Good luck,

Tek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for the advice. And I don’t actually throw up. It’s more like being so nauseous that I stand at the toilet dry heaving but nothing really coming out. Eventually my stomach will cramp up and it comes out the other end.
Wow I didn’t realize that we don’t throw up anymore ?! I guess I got so accustomed to just throwing up anytime something was too uncomfortable when I had my lap band prior to this.
What about if you’re sick with a stomach bug? Even then you don’t throw up? That’s so strange to me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lisa0706 said:

Thank you so much for the advice. And I don’t actually throw up. It’s more like being so nauseous that I stand at the toilet dry heaving but nothing really coming out. Eventually my stomach will cramp up and it comes out the other end.
Wow I didn’t realize that we don’t throw up anymore ?! I guess I got so accustomed to just throwing up anytime something was too uncomfortable when I had my lap band prior to this.
What about if you’re sick with a stomach bug? Even then you don’t throw up? That’s so strange to me lol

there are some people who can't throw up, but most of us still do. I think he meant vomiting is not one of the typical signs of dumping (some people think whenever they throw up it's "dumping", but it's not - it's what you guys talked about above - racing heart, cold sweats, dizziness, diarrhea, etc...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 7:36 AM, LisaBertone said:

I am 2 weeks post op lapband to bypass conversion. I have experienced dumping about 5 times already and it’s just absolutely so horrible. I’m not drinking while I eat, I’m still on mushy foods. It’s happened to me from tuna fish, last night it was from half a Protein Shake. I thought it was supposed to be from having too much sugar or fatty foods. Has anyone experienced it this often even while eating what you’re supposed to be eating?
It’s so disheartening and is making me regret this surgery so bad. And yes, I know this is a question for my doctor who I will be in touch with. Just looking for any personal experiences and if it got better

I dump A LOT ! I have got it down to eating too much aside from when I eat something and my body says NO. You just never know what will trigger it sometimes and you will figure out the things that do for sure as you go along in the process. The first 3 or 4 months are the worst, at least it was for me. It was also harder because I could not feel anything for about 6 months during the healing process and I dont have the restriction I had with VSG. The dumping keeps me in check for sure. Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 8:48 PM, lisa0706 said:

Thank you so much for the advice. And I don’t actually throw up. It’s more like being so nauseous that I stand at the toilet dry heaving but nothing really coming out. Eventually my stomach will cramp up and it comes out the other end.
Wow I didn’t realize that we don’t throw up anymore ?! I guess I got so accustomed to just throwing up anytime something was too uncomfortable when I had my lap band prior to this.
What about if you’re sick with a stomach bug? Even then you don’t throw up? That’s so strange to me lol

YES !!! I dont throw up either and that seems to make it worse. I have laid in bed for up to 2 hrs and cried it hurts so bad, but that was more those first 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s the absolute worst! And oh man, 6 months like a really long time!! How far post op are you and do you still get it at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2021 at 11:50, Tracyringo said:






YES !!! I dont throw up either and that seems to make it worse. I have laid in bed for up to 2 hrs and cried it hurts so bad, but that was more those first 6 months.


It’s the absolute worst! And oh man, 6 months like a really long time!! How far post op are you and do you still get it at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/20/2021 at 11:47, Tracyringo said:






I dump A LOT ! I have got it down to eating too much aside from when I eat something and my body says NO. You just never know what will trigger it sometimes and you will figure out the things that do for sure as you go along in the process. The first 3 or 4 months are the worst, at least it was for me. It was also harder because I could not feel anything for about 6 months during the healing process and I dont have the restriction I had with VSG. The dumping keeps me in check for sure. Good luck


It’s so hard figuring it out! I can eat something and not have an issue with that and then the next time get really sick. Do you still get it? How far post op?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 months post op. Yes I still get sick. I have figured out somethings that will get me but like you said one time for something is okay and then the next time its not oaky. I ended up losing down to 142 from 180 after revision. I pretty much sit at 148. I dont worry about regain anymore which is good. I dont mind the trade off really, it keeps me in check. It does get better the farther out you get just listen to your body. Over eating makes me sick too and in the beginning I could not feel a thing until it was too late and I was already sick. I really have to be careful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 00:34, Tracyringo said:



17 months post op. Yes I still get sick. I have figured out somethings that will get me but like you said one time for something is okay and then the next time its not oaky. I ended up losing down to 142 from 180 after revision. I pretty much sit at 148. I dont worry about regain anymore which is good. I dont mind the trade off really, it keeps me in check. It does get better the farther out you get just listen to your body. Over eating makes me sick too and in the beginning I could not feel a thing until it was too late and I was already sick. I really have to be careful.


Oh man, it’s such a lost feeling. Because if I am told not to eat something, I totally won’t. But I hate that not knowing! It makes me feel like I can’t be in control of this, besides just staying on a liquid diet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 8:48 PM, lisa0706 said:

Wow I didn’t realize that we don’t throw up anymore ?! I guess I got so accustomed to just throwing up anytime something was too uncomfortable when I had my lap band prior to this. 
What about if you’re sick with a stomach bug? Even then you don’t throw up? That’s so strange to me lol

Vomiting (with bile) is very rare after gastric bypass because the content of your pouch doesn't contain bile. However, you can up-chuck, which is not the same as vomiting. It is merely regurgitating what you have masticated and swallowed along with some Fluid. You can make yourself do it if something gets stuck or you get the chest pain signal that you ate too much too fast. I can do it by gently putting a spoon handle in the back of my throat and coughing as I lean over the sink or toilet.

Genuine vomiting would be medically concerning. Dry heaves would not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, lisa0706 said:

Oh man, it’s such a lost feeling. Because if I am told not to eat something, I totally won’t. But I hate that not knowing! It makes me feel like I can’t be in control of this, besides just staying on a liquid diet!

Everyone is different. It has taken me a long time getting use to. I dont get sick all the time and usually its my own fault for eating too much or the wrong thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Kaguragetshealthy_87

      Keep going. I guess I'm experiencing a stall almost 6 weeks out. Keep going. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • UniquelyMe28

      I hit my stall ALREADY 🤷🏽‍♀️ been at 300 for almost a week. I’m not worried about it though, because I know that my body is healing. I’m not in a rush, I loss 30 pounds since surgery which was 3 weeks ago. I’m just going with the flow and staying positive. 😁
      · 2 replies
      1. kimdlawson06

        It's very common. Give your body a chance to "catch up" with its new reality and the weight loss will start again. Hang in there, I know it can be frustrating!

      2. slink33

        Same with me. Lost 38 lbs from the week I started clear liquids prior to surgery. Did not lose an ounce for the last 10 days, woke up this morning and decreased 2 lbs. I think it is normal. Dont panic. Your body is in shock and trying to figure out how to readjust.

    • Meganator

      First Orangetheory class back after surgery! #347 for me. Determined to take things easy- especially those ab exercises. Looking forward to hitting #350 this week.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • tcrehm

      How do I delete my account on here?
      · 1 reply
      1. SleeverSk

        Hi, I have been having a look around the site, I cant find anywhere that you can delete your account yourself, However in the rules it indicates that staff can delete accounts so maybe use the "contact us" tab at the very bottom of the page and ask for assistance there.

    • UniquelyMe28

      I loss 19 pounds my first 7 days post op 🙌🏽 (Water weight or real weight.. weight is weight to me.. I’ll take it lol) I make sure I keep my water with me 24.7 and I walk every chance I get. I cook dinner for my kids with no problems. I have zero cravings!  By next week I should be in the 200’s. Haven’t been there since high school 🥲
      · 2 replies
      1. MiaPie

        I had my surgery 11/17 and hit 299 this morning! :) Rooting for you!

      2. UniquelyMe28

        Congrats I’m at 289 now. Its a wonderful feeling, right!?

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×