Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

School After Surgery

Hey y’all! I need some advice. I am getting the sleeve on December 6. December 30 I will fly to another state for my first semester of grad school. It’s a hybrid program, so I’ll be on campus for 9 days from 12/30-1/8 and then home again until June. I am SCARED to have surgery and then go to class so soon after. It’ll be sitting mostly and I get my own hotel room, but I don’t know what to expect. Am I crazy to try this? Any tips? For reference, I am 30 and have recovered well from surgery before. I was back at work a week after sinus surgery and able to move normally less than a week after my c-section in January. Thank you!!

14 minutes ago, kgsos said:

Hey y’all! I need some advice. I am getting the sleeve on December 6. December 30 I will fly to another state for my first semester of grad school. It’s a hybrid program, so I’ll be on campus for 9 days from 12/30-1/8 and then home again until June. I am SCARED to have surgery and then go to class so soon after. It’ll be sitting mostly and I get my own hotel room, but I don’t know what to expect. Am I crazy to try this? Any tips? For reference, I am 30 and have recovered well from surgery before. I was back at work a week after sinus surgery and able to move normally less than a week after my c-section in January. Thank you!!

The only things you may have to consider are energy levels post op, building in bathroom breaks and requesting if you can drink/eat during the classes.
It seems people bounce back a lot quicker with laparoscopic vs open surgery,

If all goes well I can't imagine you will have much trouble. Grad school is pretty cool about unobtrusive food and drink, at least it was back in Bedrock [It's a Flintstone's joke you whippershappers! Look it up! Get off my lawn!] Even bathroom breaks wouldn't be noticeable if you can resist the compulsion to sit at the front of the room.

I would have been whining in bed weeks after sinus surgery,

Oh, jeezus. And a C-section?!? Just put on the tights and cape already.

Enjoy your journey, you will rock this.

Good luck,

Tek

should be fine. Like someone else said, by that time (24 days out) you'll likely just be tired...

I agree with what other posters above are saying. The only thing I would add just pertains to the flight itself - get an aisle seat even if you have to pay extra so you can get up and walk every hour to prevent blood clots which are at higher risk after surgery. Also, see if you can get someone to lift your suitcase (maybe get a wheelchair service? this doesn't cost extra you just have to call the airport or airline in advance to reserve - I believe you can do it on the airline's website) to minimize the risk of incisional hernia.

I would say you have a 99% chance of being just fine after the surgery. I was back to work in a week and a day and was just fine. If you are sitting all day then make sure you get up every now and then and take a quick walk to stretch things out. Not a huge deal really. Ask your surgeon, but he may recommend compression stockings if you are going to be sedentary for long periods of time.

Concur about the compression stockings, and absolutely prevail upon your fellow passengers to lift your bag up and down. I'm a month out and if I lift something a bit too much I can start to feel it and set it down.

Make sure you have a supply of food that you can eat. I know that sounds obvious, but you'll still be probably in the soft foods phase.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Unless you have any unforeseen complications you should be just fine that far out. I agree with asking your doctor about compression stockings for the flight and getting up and walking during the flight.

You will be great!! Use that hotel room for extra naps!! LOL!! I never had any pain, etc, just needed those naps!

On 10/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, Tony B - NJ said:

I would say you have a 99% chance of being just fine after the surgery. I was back to work in a week and a day and was just fine. If you are sitting all day then make sure you get up every now and then and take a quick walk to stretch things out. Not a huge deal really. Ask your surgeon, but he may recommend compression stockings if you are going to be sedentary for long periods of time.
I would not advise going to work in a week or someone to continue studying and going to couples. I have had three surgeries in my entire life. Two of them did not go well due to the fact that just after the operation I went to couples. The seams came apart and it took a long time to heal. I then order an essay, you can get more info here. I did this because I couldn't even write anything myself. After the third operation, I rested well and everything healed quickly. So of course, do as you know, but I had an experience that I shared with you. Hope this is of some help to you.

It's not certain that this will be the case.

Edited by tomhanks22

1 minute ago, tomhanks22 said:

It's not certain that this will be the case.

What is certain is that the more positive the attitude is and the more a person gets up and moves early in the process the better things will turn out. Unless the patient is really, really obese in the 55-60 BMI or higher, then I think what I wrote here is entirely likely. If someone is just not able to get up and walk at all before surgery, then it will take longer of course but anyone who was relatively mobile before surgery and walks and moves right away after surgery should be fine.

10 minutes ago, Tony B - NJ said:

What is certain is that the more positive the attitude is and the more a person gets up and moves early in the process the better things will turn out. Unless the patient is really, really obese in the 55-60 BMI or higher, then I think what I wrote here is entirely likely. If someone is just not able to get up and walk at all before surgery, then it will take longer of course but anyone who was relatively mobile before surgery and walks and moves right away after surgery should be fine. 

Here I agree