Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story... I caused my own stalls.

Good morning! This is my first post here, but I have been "lurking" for a while. 😊

I had my RNY 3/17/2021 (HW 367, SW 349) and did GREAT for the first 3 months (down to 292.6). Around month 4 I noticed I could eat much more and when boredom hit, I would munch on Snacks. I started eating "around" my surgery. Slider foods mostly. I hit my Protein goals and Water goals daily, but I have realized that I am a stress and emotional eater. In my program, we have a doctor, nutritionist, and a surgeon. I spoke with the nutritionist and the doctor about my habits and how I caused my own stalls. They were quite understanding and even offered to start a medication to control the appetite. (I work 2 jobs and I am a single mother, so I was using food to soothe myself when things were rough.) At my 6 month post-op appointment with my surgeon (279.8) I was hit with accusations of not wanting it bad enough and was told being stressed should make me lose weight, etc. Ugh! At the end of the appointment, he told me he believes in me and it frustrates him when patients aren't losing what he expects. So of course, I went home and did what I knew to do - I ate everything I could without getting sick. I woke up having lost 2 pounds. 🤦‍♀️

As angry as I was with my surgeon, he had changed something in me. He was wrong. I want it bad enough. I just don't know how to cope with stress well. I have always used food to self-medicate, to Celebrate, to cope with life. I took up smoking and when I quit, the weight piled on. Today I am 263 pounds. I am 6 1/2 months post op. I am tracking every atom of food I consume again. I am drinking a gallon to a gallon and a half of water every day. I am walking more than ever. When I see him in 5 1/2 months, I want to be at goal. His goal for me is 200 pounds. My personal goal is 167. I did not need the medication to jump-start my weight loss again. I needed to be angry. I say this to say that I was not being honest with myself and when someone was honest with me, I became defensive. I still have days when I eat like crap or days when I don't want to walk. Such is life. I am fighting this food addiction with all my might and I really have my mean old surgeon to thank for the kick in the pants. ❤️

I should add that I was not eating over 1200 calories per day, but I did not realize that my metabolism had slowed so much that 1200 is now maintenance for me.

It's great that you've taken control of your surgery, but it sounds like you should consider talking with a bariatric therapist. This should be someone they have on staff, but if not, hopefully they can refer you to someone. I'm shocked that they haven't done that.

Congrats on your 100+ lbs weight loss. That's a thing to celebrate!

Its a very hard read. People more knowledgeable than me can help you. I just want to send you a hug because your story has touched my heart

I am definitely going to talk with a bariatric therapist. It can sometimes be isolating, so I wasn’t even thinking about that. I do have that resource in my program ❤️

Glad to hear you are back on track toward reaching your goal. Thank you for sharing your challenges with us. The stalls, ups and downs & difficult aspects of bariatric surgery are something that many, if not all of us, will face at one point. Hearing your experience can help someone know that it is possible to overcome their own obstacles in this process.

Wishing you continued success & keep us posted on your progress. 😊

I should add that I was not eating over 1200 calories per day, but I did not realize that my metabolism had slowed so much that 1200 is now maintenance for me.
Congratulations on realizing your truth. It's a great story that I'm sure a lot of us can relate to. Thanks for sharing and I hope you reach that goal!!!

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

Good morning! This is my first post here, but I have been "lurking" for a while. [emoji4]
I had my RNY 3/17/2021 (HW 367, SW 349) and did GREAT for the first 3 months (down to 292.6). Around month 4 I noticed I could eat much more and when boredom hit, I would munch on Snacks. I started eating "around" my surgery. Slider foods mostly. I hit my Protein goals and Water goals daily, but I have realized that I am a stress and emotional eater. In my program, we have a doctor, nutritionist, and a surgeon. I spoke with the nutritionist and the doctor about my habits and how I caused my own stalls. They were quite understanding and even offered to start a medication to control the appetite. (I work 2 jobs and I am a single mother, so I was using food to soothe myself when things were rough.) At my 6 month post-op appointment with my surgeon (279.8) I was hit with accusations of not wanting it bad enough and was told being stressed should make me lose weight, etc. Ugh! At the end of the appointment, he told me he believes in me and it frustrates him when patients aren't losing what he expects. So of course, I went home and did what I knew to do - I ate everything I could without getting sick. I woke up having lost 2 pounds. [emoji2356]
As angry as I was with my surgeon, he had changed something in me. He was wrong. I want it bad enough. I just don't know how to cope with stress well. I have always used food to self-medicate, to Celebrate, to cope with life. I took up smoking and when I quit, the weight piled on. Today I am 263 pounds. I am 6 1/2 months post op. I am tracking every atom of food I consume again. I am drinking a gallon to a gallon and a half of Water every day. I am walking more than ever. When I see him in 5 1/2 months, I want to be at goal. His goal for me is 200 pounds. My personal goal is 167. I did not need the medication to jump-start my weight loss again. I needed to be angry. I say this to say that I was not being honest with myself and when someone was honest with me, I became defensive. I still have days when I eat like crap or days when I don't want to walk. Such is life. I am fighting this food addiction with all my might and I really have my mean old surgeon to thank for the kick in the pants. [emoji3590]

I am right there with you. I just passed my 4 months and I am so ashamed of myself for not trying harder...I've literally only lost 40 pounds! I'm at 262 this morning and I just don't know what to do anymore. I just started working this desk job and before I was a stay at home mom so I'm even more mad at myself that I didn't take advantage of the time I had off to exercise bc now I'm literally stuck in a chair for 8.5 hours a day and when I get off I have a crazy kid schedule and it's all about them and not me so no time to do anything. But I know that I gotta find the time somehow and do me! It's just so hard sometimes you just wanna give up and eat every thing in the house! [emoji20] I really thought I would lose like 100 pounds at least but it's just not happening and feel like I've missed a huge opportunity to get it off! Well anyways, I'm glad you got yourself mad and committed yourself! You will do great with the right mindset! I gotta try to get there myself lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using BariatricPal mobile app