Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maisey's Musings

9 months post RNY. Down 135 since surgery. Down 184 from HW.

***I've begun actively selling and getting rid of my old clothes. It's hard. It's a thing. I was attached to that wardrobe and there was a lot of time and money invested in finding clothing that fit, clothing that was for different weight fluctuations (or ever increasing), fit my needs and was as flattering as possible given being morbidly obese. There was clothing for work, special occasions, and travel. I should have gotten rid of items starting long ago. But I notoriously hang onto things "just in case," and then when I finally get rid of them, I want them a week later. And there is the ever present fear of failure of needing big clothes again someday. But, it was time........I'm also being selective where my items go, and I'm lazy. I would like to get some money where possible but will donate to the right cause. Despite hearing over and over that places gladly accept plus-sized clothing, I'm not finding that to be the case. I don't live in a metropolitan area where there are lots of options. The one women's shelter in town was not interested as they have no place to store clothing. Our one consignment store is a bit sketchy. You get the idea. I posted some items on social media (even that is more work than I am really interested in, so Poshmark, Mercari or the like is off the table). Long story short....a lady purchased some of my favorite items. I didn't ask for much money for them. I'm sure I could have gotten more but by this point, once I've made the decision to clean out, I just want them gone. I also let her take a great many items that had been altered but not professionally. Items that I didn't feel that I should charge for. She was so grateful and so excited. I was thrilled to see someone as excited by the nicer items as I once was. Having some of the clothing gone is liberating and I'm glad to be moving forward. I think the clothing was a security blanket of sorts that I just needed to be ready to let go of.

***I had my first appointment with a therapist. So glad I did that. I had some very specific qualifications I was looking for as well as having experience with bariatric patients. She is a perfect fit and was able to help me process some of my feelings and progress.

***As always, am grateful for the level-headed and accurate advice received here.

I have been giving away my clothes too ( 3X and 2x). I have a friend who is a single Mom and thought she would appreciate not having to spend money. I had lots of professional clothes from when I had a Management job as well as special occasion etc. I find it very cathartic cleaning out the closets. I did keep 1 pair of 3x jeans as a reference point of where I started and 1-2 of my favorite 3x dressy blouses just in case. I kept all of my hoodies since I like to wear them bigger and they can go over layers now. I gave away around 8 boxes of clothes so far. I am keeping anything 1x and below for now. Currently wearing a Medium top and size 8 or 10 pants. Not sure if this will be my lowest point or not - almost 7 months post sleeve and down 108 lbs from my heaviest weight of 264. I too felt like the clothes were a security blanket and they needed to go.

I just had my surgery a week ago, but my parents were here this week and we went through all my clothes from the last time I lost a lot of weight (through diet and exercise) six years ago. I thought I had gotten rid of them all, but I still had a lot left. They're mostly size L-XL. I got rid of some I don't like any more, and honestly, most of the others don't work for the way my life is now (they need to be ironed and I travel all the time now). I'll decide whether to get rid of the rest later. We also got rid of some of the clothes that are too big now since I'd lost 50 lbs during my time preparing for surgery. That wasn't much. For now since I'm still sore from surgery I want the big t-shirts. I am not willing to expend any time or energy trying to sell or "find good homes" for these. I just had my dad take them over to the clothing donation bin across the street. If I was more "myself" (i.e., not on lifting restrictions) I would probably try to deal with it in a better way, but I just couldn't focus, and my parents were being so helpful!

I had my first closet purge, too. Five pair of pants went into the donation bin... I haven't done much on t-shirts yet because it's okay to wear those baggy for a while, but button-down shirts are next. I already know my custom-made dress shirts are ridiculously big, and it hurts to send those out, but they're not wearable.

I always say I'm going to sell my stuff on Poshmark or eBay or Mercari and it's such a PITA I just end up giving it to charity and taking the writeoff on my taxes.

Also, this is a thing for the guys—get rid of the chonies that are too big. You don't want fabric rubbing around down there and chafing. (Obviously used chonies go in the trash, not the donation bin!)

I have kind of been purging as I go. If I put something on and it’s extra baggy? Doesn’t fit right? Wouldnt wear it out in public? It goes in the donate pile.
I used to be a 3X. I’m now an XL or Large depending on what it is.

I’ve lost 100 pounds from my highest weight.

I JUST went out today and got resized for bras. OMG. I can’t believe how great it feels to now be in the correct size. I was a 44/46H before and I am now a 36DDD. I put my old bra back on so I could pay for my new ones and I immediately missed the support of the new ones lol.