Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's not working for me

Hi. I'm new. I have had my band for almost a year now. I lost 65 pounds counting the pre surgery liquid diet. I didn't eat a bite for about forty-five days and as soon as i could eat after the surgery I started eating and haven't slowed down since. As of now I have gained almost all of it back. Has anyone else had any problems with wanting to eat although they don't need to. Any advice would be appreciated.:help:

Have you gone in for any fills? Maybe you should check with your doctor and tell them what is going on. You might have a leak in your band if you don't have any restriction....just some ideas....good luck!

I have the biggest size band. I have had four fills. I have an emotional connection with being satisfied with food. I drink as I eat. I guess it is not the band's fault i'm gaining. It is a tool that i don't use. Sometimes i get restricted while eating so I am confident that the band is still working. I need help with getting with it.:cry

BB,

On boards such as these you will find a lot of people who sing the band's praises and talk about how much they love their band. In fact, I am one of these people. However, I have found a side effect to having the band that not many people have mentioned; namely, a small sense of loss that comes with no longer being able to use food as an emotional crutch. In some respects, I really miss being able to eat large portions of bread, Pasta, pizza, candy, etc. These are delicious foods! However, the good news is that this feeling of disappointment is usually short lived. I am very happy the next morning when I wake up and realize I DIDN'T eat that huge dinner. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the band is a wonderful tool, but it won't fix the underlying "issues" which caused some of us to chronically and compulsively overeat prior to being banded.

If you are often hungry (and don't drink with meals), then you need a fill. If you eat merely for the reasons I mention above, then try imagining what you'll look and feel like when you reach a healthy weight. It is a lot easier to go down this road once you are willing to embrace satiety. Does this help?

Matt

Hi Bigb,

I feel for you. I'm in the same emotional boat - hard to overcome old emotional eating habits, although now I at least eat less. I have just had my 2nd fill, but don't feel any more restriction than after the 1st fill. Dr says everyone is different and it takes a few fills to get the right balance. I only lost 2lbs over the last month!!

Maybe your eating has stretched the band? What does your Dr think?

Good luck anyway, it is a constant battle.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I often start my day with intentions of turning it all around and sometimes before I realize it, I have eaten something I shouldn't have and feel that I have blown it and will start over again tomorrow. I feel like the band is still effective but I drink so that i can feel satisfied with what I have eaten. Seems like every other thought that runs through my mind is about what I am going to eat next. I'm planning on having a good day so you guys pull for me and i'll update you later.

Hi again Bigb,

You already probably know that drinking with or straight after meals is a no-no because it helps the food move through into the big stomach below your banded one, so the feeling of satiety (if you have it) doesn't last as long as it should. I have found it hard not to drink after a meal, but if I distract myself straight after the meal, by doing the dishes, or something, before I know it, an hour or 2 has gone by, and drinking is ok. Maybe this could be part of why you are still hungry after eating. (not the emotional hunger of course).

Don't give up!

Hi. I'm new. I have had my band for almost a year now. I lost 65 pounds counting the pre surgery liquid diet. I didn't eat a bite for about forty-five days and as soon as i could eat after the surgery I started eating and haven't slowed down since. As of now I have gained almost all of it back. Has anyone else had any problems with wanting to eat although they don't need to. Any advice would be appreciated.:help:

All of the physical advise you have been given is sound (don't drink with meals, get a fill etc.). It sounds to me that none of that is really your issue. I know it is often tough for us guys, but have you considered getting some outside help? Counseling is a great tool to help us first work through emtional issues, and then make the resolve needed to carry through.

The band is a tool, a pretty good one for manageing weight, but only after the commitment t use the tools has been made. I do pastoral counseling work and can tell you that many many times all I really do is help the folks I work with focus their attention to the things that really matter to the, and then brush away the chaff.

I doesn't mean your defective, crazy or weak to get help - it just means that you found something you can't do alone. Consider getting some help, I'll bet that your band clinic can give you some low cost refferals.

the counselor I have been seeing is less invasive than I would like. i feel like she is going to baby step me to death. I have a problem staying focused the whole day through and end up eating for no reason. I have told myself not to eat any Cookies today and have done better than yesterday, but have still had six or so. I know i don't need them,but they are there and i can't help but eat one every half hour or so.

I'm being banded on 12/19 and I am hoping I won't have the same problems. I love to eat but not as much as wanting to be healther.

I would love to have a cookie. Heck there is a lady here at work that sells candy bars from fall to spring. I would love one of those also. But I don't. I have a mantra that I repete "You had surgery to lose weight, SURGERY!" (Thanks again for that one OH Juli). It also helps to have something to do when the cravings hit. I will get on my treadmill at home or go for a walk around the office at work. Heck, just coming to LBT when I had a craving helps. Good luck.

the counselor I have been seeing is less invasive than I would like. i feel like she is going to baby step me to death. I have a problem staying focused the whole day through and end up eating for no reason. I have told myself not to eat any Cookies today and have done better than yesterday, but have still had six or so. I know i don't need them,but they are there and i can't help but eat one every half hour or so.

But it sounds like you may have the wrong one... good therepy challenges us, pushes us at gets us to confront our issues rather then our excuses. Time to shop for a new one?

Bigb

I think you need a kick in the butt.... If you like Cookies and can't say no to them then why do you buy them in the first place - go throw them away !!! If they aren't there you can't eat them - If you have proper restriction you wouldn't be able to eat huge amounts of food - for your tool to work you gotta maintain it.. You say you drink with meals - Why you are not suppose to and you know this Why did you get banded?? Did you think in the back of your mind that this was the magic cure to your food issues??

I too miss food - yes we all used it to cover up our feeling - even if is was just as simple as being bored to as complicated as being abused. We used food to sooth our feelings.

You and only you have control over what you put in your mouth - you say you didn't eat for 45 day - then once you could eat you cant stop..

Why didn't you eat for 45 day??? The band is the tool to help you retrain yourself - you must eat to live - I think you may have been looking at the band as something different than what it's designed for.

Don't wait for tomorrow to start over - start over the minute you know you ate something you shouldn't..

I agree you may need to find a new counsler - you are sabotaging yourself - Why - what are you afaird of ??? I chose this surgery to help me to live longer to see my grandkids marry. Yes at times it's hard but once you truely understand this is a LIFETIME LIFESTYLE change you will succeed - I eat healthy 98% of the time - go to the gym 4-5 days a week and do allow myself treats (not cheats but treats) but when i do I pay myself back - by exercising more or eating a little less at my next meal.

I truely do not mean to come off as a "B" but imho i think you need tough band love (operative word being love) - I won't baby you - i am going to tell you eat low fat - sugar few - healthy - Protein 1st - dont drink your Water until 1/2 hr after a meal Go talk to your doctor - get the help you need - don't just sit there feeling sorry for yourself - get up off your butt and fix it - you can do it- you just have to put your mind to it - you have the tool that will help you - now help yourself.

Best of luck to you...