Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre - op Diet - anyone else struggling??

I am really struggling with the liquid diet, scared I won’t have shrunk my liver enough. Surgery week tomorrow😫

I just started my 14 day liquid diet today, surgery on 9/21. I'm not so much worried about liver size; as long as you are in ketosis and at a calorie deficit, your liver will shrink, which is why the pre-op diet varies so wildly from surgeon to surgeon. But I am worried about the mental piece of it. I feel like if I can't "hack it" without cheating, then I'll fail at surgery, too. What if its too hard? What if this is just like every ding dang time before? I'm having to literally take it minute by minute and remind myself that this is a long haul change, that surgery is a tool, and that the pre-op diet is just a step along the way. Good luck on your surgery! I'm sure you're going to do great! WE CAN DO THIS!

I was nauseous and exhausted last week after starting my preop diet (low carb, low fat, high protein). I felt better by Friday, then over the weekend I wasn't exactly perfect because I was with friends over the weekend and we ate out a few times so I'm not exactly sure how much oil my vegetables or meat was cooked in. I cooked most of the meals and know what was in them, but twice we went out and I know it had more oil than I use at home.

Now I'm back to being nauseous and exhausted. I'm worried because my friends always get together at restaurants, rarely at people's houses. Most of them don't cook at all, and my apartment is too small to have people over now that I had to turn my dining room into a home office. Plus, I travel for work a lot, so I feel like I'm going to have to navigate restaurants all. the. time.

On 09/07/2021 at 16:50, Kenda0928 said:

I just started my 14 day liquid diet today, surgery on 9/21. I'm not so much worried about liver size; as long as you are in ketosis and at a calorie deficit, your liver will shrink, which is why the pre-op diet varies so wildly from surgeon to surgeon. But I am worried about the mental piece of it. I feel like if I can't "hack it" without cheating, then I'll fail at surgery, too. What if its too hard? What if this is just like every ding dang time before? I'm having to literally take it minute by minute and remind myself that this is a long haul change, that surgery is a tool, and that the pre-op diet is just a step along the way. Good luck on your surgery! I'm sure you're going to do great! WE CAN DO THIS!

Thank you. I know what you mean though, it’s a constant conversation I am having with self, what if I fail here too, this last resort station I need to not fudge this up. It’s just so blooming hard when everyone around me is eating - I am not even hungry just a ‘want/need’ to eat. Maybe it’s head hunger I don’t know. But yes, if I am struggling with 2 weeks of milk and yoghurt, how the fudge will I cope after surgery. Need to find me a hubby - won’t be able to eat (at least not much, won’t be able to smoke( not that I do now) or drink by the sounds of it… all will be well!! Good luck with your 2 weeks abs look forward to hearing how you got on x

On 09/07/2021 at 17:20, lizonaplane said:

I was nauseous and exhausted last week after starting my preop diet (low carb, low fat, high protein). I felt better by Friday, then over the weekend I wasn't exactly perfect because I was with friends over the weekend and we ate out a few times so I'm not exactly sure how much oil my vegetables or meat was cooked in. I cooked most of the meals and know what was in them, but twice we went out and I know it had more oil than I use at home.

Now I'm back to being nauseous and exhausted. I'm worried because my friends always get together at restaurants, rarely at people's houses. Most of them don't cook at all, and my apartment is too small to have people over now that I had to turn my dining room into a home office. Plus, I travel for work a lot, so I feel like I'm going to have to navigate restaurants all. the. time.

I am not telling anyone (other than my sister and husband ) so no idea how I’ll navigate restaurants. The no drinking with meal will be hard - suspect I’ll probably avoid restaurants until I know what to expect, am scared I’ll cave and eat something that will be make sick or worse run to the toilet - and there being a queu 😱 good luck!! I am hoping even with a little cheat all will be well.. x

Don't forget that you may be able to have sugar-free popsicles, sugar-free Jello, and broth while on the liquid diet. (Double check with your nutritionist if you haven't been told this.)

I did the two week liquid diet after reading about it, before I even met with the bariatrics team. I wanted to know if I could do it! It turns out that this surgeon does not require the two week liquid diet, just two days of clear fluids after following a high protein/low carb food plan leading up to it. The two-week liquid diet is doable if you keep drinking Water and make use of the free items.