Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

16 weeks postop and hate food

I’m looking for someone who is further out than I am who can tell me how to enjoy food again. At each sitting I can only get less than 2 ounces down and that’s only Protein. Once I eat the protein there’s no room for anything else. I haven’t eaten any veggies yet because I’m only getting between 20-30 g of protein in per day. Water is nauseating to me but I push hard to get it in but again, I’m nowhere near the 64 ounces that is required. Forget protein shakes! Since surgery I cannot tolerate them at all! I’m just wondering if this will get better with more time?

That sounds unpleasant! I hope it gets better soon. Could you try Bone Broth with added Protein Powder? I haven't had surgery yet so I don't really have suggestions, but if the sweet Protein Drinks aren't appealing, maybe the savory bone broth would be palatable. Good luck!

First, I recommend talking to your surgeon or doctor. Since it's been 16 weeks, you could go in and get your Vitamin levels check to make sure you're getting enough nutrients from your diet.

The high Protein daily recommendation isn't always feasible 16 weeks after surgery, it wasn't for me! I could only take a couple of bites of my food and then I was full. I couldn't eat a full chicken breast until about a year after the surgery. I was told to have 4-6 small, high-protein meals and then snack with fruit or veggies throughout the day. And not to worry about veggies or fruit with a meal until I could fit more into my stomach (about 1 year later). As long as your taking your Vitamins it shouldn't be a problem, you might want to add a Fiber supplement though.

The 64 oz of Water is just a rule of thumb, not everyone is able to do it or actually need it. As long as you're not dehydrated, don't worry about it. Just remember to sip throughout the day and keep some water on hand.

Regarding distaste for food, yes, it gets better. I couldn't stand some of my favorite foods after my surgery. But I'm 4 years out and I'm now able to tolerate most of them again. I also noticed (my mom did too) that eating slower helps your stomach handle food better.

TLDR: get your vitamin levels checked, but if they're good, you're fine. Don't try too hard to meet the diet "requirements" just try your best.

Edited by Stalled

Thank you! That gives me a lot of encouragement. My Vitamin levels are good and I do take them faithfully every day. It’s great to hear from someone who is past my point and can relate to my issues. Thank you for your input!!!

8 minutes ago, sleevedandhappy said:

Thank you! That gives me a lot of encouragement. My Vitamin levels are good and I do take them faithfully every day. It’s great to hear from someone who is past my point and can relate to my issues. Thank you for your input!!!

Glad to help! Also, I forgot to add something about your comment about Water being nauseating. Is that all the time? I don't drink anything about 30 minutes before and after eating. I have also found that my filtered tap water gives me heartburn, but bottled water is doesn't (depending on the brand). Different bottled water has different pH so you might want to experiment and see if there is a bottled water brand that doesn't make you nauseated. Because it might be due to pH or certain minerals in the water you're drinking.

Any Water I drink goes down rough, but adding lemon does help. I switched to just bottled water. I’m bad about drinking when I eat so maybe I should make that switch. It’s so hard not to!!

Mrs. Peachy congratulations! Even with the issues I’m having I have no regrets! I’m down 42 lbs with 21 more to my final goal.

I'd contact your surgeon. Some of us have little interest in food the first few months (because the hunger hormones have been supressed), but 16 weeks out is pretty far out to still be having issues with eating and drinking. If nothing else, I'd contact him/her for peace of mind.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, sleevedandhappy said:

I’m bad about drinking when I eat so maybe I should make that switch. It’s so hard not to!!

That may very well be the cause of some of the trouble you're having. Try strictly following your clinic's timing recommendations about fluids/solid food, and see if that improves things for you. Good luck!