Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Abdominal Binder

On 08/29/2021 at 12:15, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Sorry if my response sounded a little harsh, that really wasn't my intent. I'm a nurse and I just found it odd that a doctor would suggest having pain enhances healing when we, as nurses, work so hard to to relieve pain. Sorry if I misunderstood.

No worries! Just some crossed wires 😁

4 hours ago, Lynnlovesthebeach said:

Ask your doctor if he uses the Bupivacaine Block. Anesthesia does it in your nerves in both sides of your abd. It lasts for 4 days. By that time you should be past the stage of needing opioids. I had absolutely no pain with my RNY-GB. I've also had that block with both my plastic surgeries and have not required narcotics. I have no issue with narcotics though and certainly have them available if needed. Congratulations on your sobriety. Good luck with your WLS. Now back to original question-the binder is a simple little garment that frees up your hands so you don't have to hug a pillow or use your hands to support your tender post operative abdomen-use it if necessary. I found it helpful.

@Lynnlovesthebeach I will get my binder in advance thank you for your feedback

My surgeon never even brought up the possibility of a binder and I was instructed to take Tylenol. It wasn't very helpful and I actually went to the ER about a month after surgery because of pain in my abdomen. They offered no help, so I researched and learned about the abdominal binders. Mine was a soft one purchased off of Amazon that's typically given to women following a C-Section and it made all the difference. I wore it for about a month and it helped so much! As my body was adjusting it just needed a little extra support to keep me from overworking muscles that needed to rest.

https://www.amazon.com/NYOrtho-Abdominal-Binder-Lower-Support/dp/B005DLL0CS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=abdominal+surgery+binder&qid=1634917219&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A3ODF15IF8C9XS&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQk8wWFdBRDdEOUlZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjIxMjU0MkY3VjIxMDFMNEdUUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTUzMTAyTVRWVjhYVUlZM1dUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Edited by Christina J.

On 10/22/2021 at 11:40 AM, Christina J. said:

My surgeon never even brought up the possibility of a binder and I was instructed to take Tylenol. It wasn't very helpful and I actually went to the ER about a month after surgery because of pain in my abdomen. They offered no help, so I researched and learned about the abdominal binders. Mine was a soft one purchased off of Amazon that's typically given to women following a C-Section and it made all the difference. I wore it for about a month and it helped so much! As my body was adjusting it just needed a little extra support to keep me from overworking muscles that needed to rest.

https://www.amazon.com/NYOrtho-Abdominal-Binder-Lower-Support/dp/B005DLL0CS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=abdominal+surgery+binder&qid=1634917219&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A3ODF15IF8C9XS&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQk8wWFdBRDdEOUlZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjIxMjU0MkY3VjIxMDFMNEdUUSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTUzMTAyTVRWVjhYVUlZM1dUJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thank you @Christina J. I am 3 days post op and the abdominal pressure is really discomforting

Thank you [mention=393964]Christina J.[/mention] I am 3 days post op and the abdominal pressure is really discomforting
I had bypass on November 3 and it's very uncomfortable to sit down and stand up. Or to get up from laying down. I only have Tylenol which hasn't helped me much. I do have a binder but I didn't think it helped much.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using BariatricPal mobile app

I woke up from surgery with one already on me. I took it off when I got home and never put it back on. I didn’t notice much of a difference but I didn’t have a lot of pain post op. I would ask your team if they will provide one before you waste your money and end up with two.

3 hours ago, LISS011 said:

I had bypass on November 3 and it's very uncomfortable to sit down and stand up. Or to get up from laying down. I only have Tylenol which hasn't helped me much. I do have a binder but I didn't think it helped much.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using BariatricPal mobile app

@LISS011 congratulations on your surgery. They did not give any pain meds? I take Tylenol when the pain is not that bad but when is really bad I have some narcotics that my surgeon prescribe. I thought of buying binder to assist me with the pain. Thank you for sharing wishing speedy recovery

Edited by EsojLabina

1 hour ago, ShoppGirl said:

I woke up from surgery with one already on me. I took it off when I got home and never put it back on. I didn’t notice much of a difference but I didn’t have a lot of pain post op. I would ask your team if they will provide one before you waste your money and end up with two.

@ShoppGirl thank you for sharing

I’m glad you asked this question, I was thinking about this the other day. I went thru 5 csections without a binder cause the Drs either said they didn’t carry one in my size or that it wouldn’t make any difference so there was no need. I really think it would have helped. I hope that they’ll grant me one with my DS surgery.

12 hours ago, MrsJapak said:

I’m glad you asked this question, I was thinking about this the other day. I went thru 5 csections without a binder cause the Drs either said they didn’t carry one in my size or that it wouldn’t make any difference so there was no need. I really think it would have helped. I hope that they’ll grant me one with my DS surgery.

@MrsJapak Thank you for your reply, try to ask your surgeon before going into surgery my suggestion. Best of luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

6 hours ago, Cynkentayjus1 said:

I had Nasir trauma surgery in 2013 car accident I'm getting bypass 11/30. I will be having 2 Hernias removed as well. A binder has already been discussed by my doctor due to my individual case. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Sent from my SM-A125U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you for sharing and best of wishes in your procedure