Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, On 8-12-21, I had a revision from a VSG to a SADI ( mini bypass). My doctor did not adjust my sleeve and now I’m several days postop and I am left with the same hunger and food intake capability that I had before the surgery. I’m just curious, if anyone else had the SADI that didn’t include an adjustment to your stomach, and if so what was that Experience like for you? Were you satisfied with your weight loss? I’m starting to get concerned, did I choose the wrong revision or surgeon.

Um, SADI is not a mini bypass hun. It's another name for the SIPS/Loop Duodenal Switch surgery. And because the sleeve is, quite literally, the first part of the surgery they probably didn't feel the need to mess with your stomach and just went ahead and did the intestinal bit. They should have at least checked to see if there was any stretching in your original pouch, but if they didn't see anything wrong with it's size then they wouldn't have felt the need to mess with it because that would have been pointless if it wasn't necessary. If your surgeon didn't at least check your pouch then I'd complain, but if they did and didn't feel the need to mess with it then you're fine. Yes, it massively sucks that because they didn't work on your pouch you have your hunger hormone and can eat more than you would right after surgery, so that's bound to be difficult. I, myself, didn't have a revision, but had the full SADI/SIPS/Loop DS surgery 19 months ago right out the gate. It's a powerful tool and malabsorption should work really well for you weight loss as long as you watch your intake. Keep in mind that the Protein and Vitamin levels necessary are much higher than for the VSG so what you're eating is very important. Also, keep in mind that you're still really early in your revision and there's always that pesky stall that most people get right in the first month of weight loss. Buyers remorse in the beginning is normal. I know I felt it for the first two weeks or so, but I got over it pretty quickly after that and I just wish I'd done it for myself sooner. I hope everything works out for you and I wish you luck on your new journey!

the intestinal part of it (that you got - since you already had the sleeve) is the malabsorptive part. You won't absorb everything you eat - that's what makes that surgery really powerful. And I agree with NovaLuna - they probably didn't see any issues with your sleeve. Plus I believe with virgin SADI/DS surgeries, they typically make the sleeves a little larger than they do with a stand-alone sleeve -- so your sleeve was probably more than adequate for the surgery.

I am giving the VSG to SADI - (VSG in 2016) to "finish the job". Yes, I am in the statistic of regained weight. Lost 125, but put 50% back. Malabsorption and a Real Dietary Plan seems to be the missing components for me, so it's homework time. SADI-S Revision seems to have a 75%-85% long-term success rate, and I need a 2nd chance at relieving stress on my joints and organs. Where else can I find relevant information?

14 hours ago, Desilva said:

Hello, On 8-12-21, I had a revision from a VSG to a SADI ( mini bypass). My doctor did not adjust my sleeve and now I’m several days postop and I am left with the same hunger and food intake capability that I had before the surgery. I’m just curious, if anyone else had the SADI that didn’t include an adjustment to your stomach, and if so what was that Experience like for you? Were you satisfied with your weight loss? I’m starting to get concerned, did I choose the wrong revision or surgeon.

You say you had the surgery just a few weeks ago and already have the same food intake capability that you had before... are you already cleared to eat everything you're eating? Just because you CAN eat a lot doesn't mean you SHOULD. I know that one of the reasons I didn't lose weight while on weight loss medications in the past is that I've eaten when not hungry. I've confused head hunger and GERD for actual hunger. Also, just boredom can cause me to eat, as well as when I'm eating something very tasty, and I just want to keep enjoying it.

I'm not sure if with the sleeve to SADI revision you would have to do a liquid, then puree then soft food diet right after surgery, but it seems likely...

Yes you are correct, i am currently on liquids and Soups. However, my point is it requires more intake to get me satisfied than my first surgery in 2017 when i was sleeved. Having said that, I get it now, I was left with the same size stomach I had before the revision, so it’s Inevitable that I’m going to have the same stomach capacity.

Just now, Desilva said:

Yes you are correct, i am currently on liquids and Soups. However, my point is it requires more intake to get me satisfied than my first surgery in 2017 when i was sleeved. Having said that, I get it now, I was left with the same size stomach I had before the revision, so it’s Inevitable that I’m going to have the same stomach capacity.

I have read elsewhere on here that most people's restrictions didn't really kick in until puree or soft food. Maybe you just aren't remembering that part?

I had ds surgery on 8/17/21 and i lost a total of 27 lbs so far but i hit a 3 week stall and it is soooooo depressing ,., idk what to do… and yes i can eat more than i thought i should be able too.. my doctor did tell me that they didn’t touch my sleeve either … So understand you… i feel like i lost with this surgery but i’m trying my hardest to stay positive