Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm from Birmingham UK. I haven't had any surgery yet, just thinking about it but I was wondering if anyone has a problem with excess skin after a huge weight loss? Is it very noticeable? Is it worse than being over weight?

Also, I'm 70 in April 2022, am I too old or vain for such a procedure?

Edited by OhGoOn
Missed a word out

Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight is going to have at least SOME excess skin. The amount a person has depends on a bunch of different things such as your age (the elasticity of your skin tends to be better the younger you are and thus you're more likely to have less excess skin the younger you are), how long you've been obese, the amount you exercise/your exercise routine, the amount of weight you actually lose, etc. For me, I'm disabled, 34, and had been obese for 20+ years so after losing 210 pounds I have quite a lot of excess skin. However, I'd rather have that excess skin then the fat. I can easily hide the skin beneath clothes, so while I know it's there, everyone else doesn't.

In the end, the choice for surgery is very much a personal choice. Just weigh the pro's and con's and do your research. Whatever choice you make is one that you're making for YOU, so make sure it's something that makes you happy.

I lost over 200 lbs and had a TON of excess skin. I've since had it removed. It was easy to hide in clothes so no one knew it was there except for me and my husband, but I didn't like the way I looked naked or the way it slapped up against me when I exercised.

and no - it is NOT worse than weight loss. I would have taken that loose skin any day of the week over weighing almost 400 lbs again. ANY DAY.

here is a picture of me BEFORE I had the skin removed. Do you see it? Nope - easily hidden in the right clothes (long-ish slightly oversized shirt to cover the abdomenal skin, 3/4 length (or longer) sleeves to cover the batwing arms, and a very supportive bra).

and no, you are not too old. I am in my 60s.

zjune2017.thumb.JPG.fc7f7078a80989ba63655a7710789058.JPG

4 hours ago, OhGoOn said:

Hi everyone,

I'm from Birmingham UK. I haven't had any surgery yet, just thinking about it but I was wondering if anyone has a problem with excess skin after a huge weight loss? Is it very noticeable? Is it worse than being over weight?

Nothing is worse than being overweight. At least to me. Can easily hide the extra skin. I figure I'm not out there wearing a bikini anyway hehe. Every extra pound on our heart is putting pressure on our little heart. I'll be 61 in a couple of months, and I don't think 70 is too old at all as long as you pass the necessary medical clearances that both young and old need to pass. Lots of research that shows that WLS can benefit those in their 70s and even 80s, preventing heart attacks and strokes, diabetes.

I have lost 91 pounds at age 62 and would take the excess skin over the prediabetes, hypertension and exhaustion from being very obese.

Clothes do hide the extra skin along with some supportive undergarments if needed. Exercise and hydration keep your muscles taught and looking good.

I will be looking into surgery but not sure if it would be covered by insurance at all (breast lift and reduction due to continued back and neck pain maybe covered). I would be looking forward to ideas as to coverage hints and am not interested in surgery out of USA.

Best of luck and you may feel this surgery is beneficial over the accumulation of fat in and around your organs/tissues.

3 hours ago, NovaLuna said:

Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight is going to have at least SOME excess skin. The amount a person has depends on a bunch of different things such as your age (the elasticity of your skin tends to be better the younger you are and thus you're more likely to have less excess skin the younger you are), how long you've been obese, the amount you exercise/your exercise routine, the amount of weight you actually lose, etc. For me, I'm disabled, 34, and had been obese for 20+ years so after losing 210 pounds I have quite a lot of excess skin. However, I'd rather have that excess skin then the fat. I can easily hide the skin beneath clothes, so while I know it's there, everyone else doesn't.

In the end, the choice for surgery is very much a personal choice. Just weigh the pro's and con's and do your research. Whatever choice you make is one that you're making for YOU, so make sure it's something that makes you happy.

Hi NovaLuna thank you for your reply and advice. I see you've nearly reached you goal, well done.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

I lost over 200 lbs and had a TON of excess skin. I've since had it removed. It was easy to hide in clothes so no one knew it was there except for me and my husband, but I didn't like the way I looked naked or the way it slapped up against me when I exercised.

and no - it is NOT worse than weight loss. I would have taken that loose skin any day of the week over weighing almost 400 lbs again. ANY DAY.

here is a picture of me BEFORE I had the skin removed. Do you see it? Nope - easily hidden in the right clothes (long-ish slightly oversized shirt to cover the abdomenal skin, 3/4 length (or longer) sleeves to cover the batwing arms, and a very supportive bra).

Wow, you look great and no, you can't tell your hiding excess skin. Thanks for your reply.

Like catwoman I had lots of excess skin after 140lbs weight loss. It was hide able in clothes, not so much out of clothes. I had surgery to have it removed from my abdomen and arms, and will have my thighs done next year. Even if I couldn’t have had plastic surgery the weight loss was worth it. I’d take loose skin any day over those 140lbs.

image-0.00095367431640625.jpg

53 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Nothing is worse than being overweight. At least to me. Can easily hide the extra skin. I figure I'm not out there wearing a bikini anyway hehe. Every extra pound on our heart is putting pressure on our little heart. I'll be 61 in a couple of months, and I don't think 70 is too old at all as long as you pass the necessary medical clearances that both young and old need to pass. Lots of research that shows that WLS can benefit those in their 70s and even 80s, preventing heart attacks and strokes, diabetes.

Too true, our health is more important and feeling happy is too.

1 minute ago, kristieshannon said:

Like catwoman I had lots of excess skin after 140lbs weight loss. It was hide able in clothes, not so much out of clothes. I had surgery to have it removed from my abdomen and arms, and will have my thighs done next year. Even if I couldn’t have had plastic surgery the weight loss was worth it. I’d take loose skin any day over those 140lbs.

Wow you look fabulous too.

50 minutes ago, kunkelgw said:

I have lost 91 pounds at age 62 and would take the excess skin over the prediabetes, hypertension and exhaustion from being very obese.

Clothes do hide the extra skin along with some supportive undergarments if needed. Exercise and hydration keep your muscles taught and looking good.

I will be looking into surgery but not sure if it would be covered by insurance at all (breast lift and reduction due to continued back and neck pain maybe covered). I would be looking forward to ideas as to coverage hints and am not interested in surgery out of USA.

Best of luck and you may feel this surgery is beneficial over the accumulation of fat in and around your organs/tissues.

Thank you for your advice.

Hi, I am in the UK too and waiting sleeve surgery and in my 60's. I have thought about the excess skin but put it away till its an issue, at least 12 months away. Like everyone else has said loosing the pounds is better. My weight is restricting my life at the moment and I am sick of it. I want my life back..

8 hours ago, OhGoOn said:

Hi everyone,

Echoing the other responses, excess skin is very easy to hide under clothing. I’m younger but still had a excess skin. I don’t think age is a problem (for plastics) unless the surgeon tells you no.

I don’t have a lot of loose skin - not handfuls but still good pinches & crumpling. I’ve decided not to go the surgery route. Like @NovaLuna, I can easily cover it with clothes without the need of any support underwear (& that includes in fitted clothing) & no one knows it’s there but me. I feel I sort of earned my loose skin. It’s a reminder every day to stick to my program.

Plus I tend to scar pretty badly. Rather have some loose skin than scars cause I’d be wanting to cover them anyway.

Actually you can see the little pinch of looseness at my waist in the first pxt. Standing up straight though it’s really nothing. So I’ve been pretty fortunate.
B25F9CA5-DFCF-44B6-95C1-9FAB6AA09480.thumb.jpeg.626927d08937ff7adf7250b78534e898.jpeg  306655E6-93BA-4BF2-AB9B-CB40A768AC57.thumb.jpeg.da4681e91847e97e7e554ed39f39e4b4.jpeg

On 8/11/2021 at 8:48 AM, catwoman7 said:

Look great to me. Cannot even see a hint of loose skin....