Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It irritates the stomach. You should get over the caffeine withdrawal in a few days. Hang in there!

I drank coffee during my pre-op diet, but stopped on the day of surgery. I used to drink 4 or 5 cups a day, and I stopped cold turkey. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems.

BTW, I used to have a double whiskey every night, and I stopped that during the pre-op diet when my bottle ran dry.

My doctor gave me the impression that the no caffeine during pre-op was to better prepare you for post-op, when they very specifically want you to avoid caffeine for a couple of months due to risk of dehydration since caffeine dehydrates you. No caffeine was terrible but doing during pre-op helped the already jarring transition post-op!

My dietician said to wean off caffeine before Surgery, so you don’t feel even worse afterwards. So I gradually reduced and was fine.

My program is no caffeine for 3 months. I’m on week 11. I have been fine with just Decaf, so I plan to not reintroduce it until I actually need the caffeine hit.

I had similar headache from kicking Coke Zero. Alieve worked for me. (Remember you can’t have it post op though).

I was a 4-5 cup a day coffee drinker before surgery...haven't touched it since and honestly, do not really miss it. Hang in there...it does get better!

I have had to go off caffeine several times for other reasons... one thing that works for me is eating a chile (like a serrano, or a jalapeño with the little striations that means it's hot). On a liquid diet maybe you could strain some salsa?

16 hours ago, nicole525 said:

Day 1 of my two week liquid diet and they said no coffee… I have a headache and am shaking. Why no caffeine?

Pre-surgery and during surgery, caffeine slows healing. Once I was healed I always began coffee again. The benefits always outweigh the risks. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/9-reasons-why-the-right-amount-of-coffee-is-good-for-you

17 hours ago, nicole525 said:

Day 1 of my two week liquid diet and they said no coffee… I have a headache and am shaking. Why no caffeine?

Of all the restrictions, I think coffee is the most onerous for me. Mostly because I don't understand it. I have searched the internet far and wide and do not understand why. I probably have more coffee in my blood than blood cells so it is going to be difficult. for me.

13 hours ago, Shelly689 said:

I can relate, on day two and the no caffeine is tough. Did not realize how much I would miss it. but keeping my eyes on the prize. Hang in there

Sent from my SM-G981V using BariatricPal mobile app

I am not looking forward to it. I need to have coffee atleast 5 or 6 cups a day....that is going to be a challenge

I was allowed to have black coffee or tea on my preop diet. I can't imagine trying to function at work trying to do such a low calorie diet without caffeine! My doctor also allowed one cup per day after surgery.

Following bariatric surgery, it's important to avoid irritating foods to avoid gas and vomit. Caffeine is a diuretic. Drinking too much caffeine increases urination, which can lead to dehydration. Following any surgery, you don't want to risk dehydration!

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yeah. It sucked those first few days without my coffee , which I live for ! I tried Decaf, which was allowed, but it's just not the same . I just had to tough it out. I get Migraines and I did have one those first few days. By that 4th day it was better. Hang in there! It gets better!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app