Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ice storm!

Batten down the hatches, people! I don't know where everybody is from, but if you're in the Heartland, we're supposed to be getting up to 2 inches of ICE (not snow!) this afternoon/tonight/tomorrow. This means power outages, impossible road conditions, and complete misery if you have to go anywhere. I have a 30 mile commute to work, so I've already told them that I'll probably have the flu or something tomorrow. :)

Anyone else out there getting ready for this crap?:tired

I'm in SW Florida, it is hot outside, I'm wearing my flip flops... loving it.

Ditto ... except I'm in SoCali. Flip flops 24/7!

I hope ya'll make it through that ice storm OK ... can't imagine what thats like since I've been here pretty much all my life. :)

I'm in central Missouri, and I wanna be wearing flip flops outside too:think.

We made it thru the last storm without losing power, I hope we stay lucky this go around, but I'm ready as can be, I guess.

I've looked at generators several times since the last bad one 2 years ago, but I haven't bought one yet. I'm hoping I don't regret that...

Well, if you must know the truth... I sometimes (not often) get a little jelouse of you all. Is it like in the movies?? Do you sit by the fireplace drinking hot cocoa?? Or better yet, make love to your mate by the fireplace?? Do you play outside in the snow?? I wish it would get a little cool here, I have tons of beautiful sweaters I could wear and jackets, too. I still have a gorgeous black leather jacket I bought with the tags on it...

But then again, sitting by the pool, drinking margaritas is real fun too...

stay warm and drink some hot cocoa for me...

Oh a generator is a must here in Florida. We get hurricanes you know?? When we had those four hurricanes come through here, we had it good cause of our generator. Everyone sat without power and was miserable. We were able to watch tv, have our a/c running (a must in Florida), life as usual.. you must get one..

4 years ago we had to go a week without power due to a ice storm. Sure wasn't fun but we managed at the time we had a gas stove which we used for heat plus a borrowed kerosene heater from a neighbor who didnt lose their power. biggest trouble for us was my cpap machine. My son was able to rig it to work off a car battery thankfully.

I learned a few things though.

One Dont expect to be able to buy lamp oil, candles or anykind of emergency lighting AFTER the power goes out. LOL..

now I keep plenty of lampoil/batterys on hand.

but if we lose power now in a all electric apartment cooking and heat will be a major issue. We do have a emergency backup on the heat but the apartment management couldnt tell me if it would work in case of power outages or not.

If it don't its of to my SIL's house where they have gas heat that will work even if the powers out. or my other SIL's who has fireplaces in her house.

Well, if you must know the truth... I sometimes (not often) get a little jelouse of you all. Is it like in the movies?? Do you sit by the fireplace drinking hot cocoa?? Or better yet, make love to your mate by the fireplace?? Do you play outside in the snow?? I wish it would get a little cool here, I have tons of beautiful sweaters I could wear and jackets, too. I still have a gorgeous black leather jacket I bought with the tags on it...

But then again, sitting by the pool, drinking margaritas is real fun too...

stay warm and drink some hot cocoa for me...

It is a little bit of both good and bad: it is kind of real cosy, and wearing sweaters and sheepskins sure is fun, but at the same time it is easy to get cabin fever, not to mention that relentless drive for a carb freak-out because it is cold and you don't see the sun much. And now that I lost all that weight I am really suffering from the cold! Oh, ugh! I used to like winter much more than I do now. The clothes are really great. And crawling into a winter bed with a duvet and flannel (my husband made me buy them!) sheets is truly cosy. And the fireplace thing is wonderful.... But the days are short, grey, and cold. Brrrr.

We don't have a fireplace, so no, we don't snuggle up in front of the fireplace with mugs of hot cocoa.... But we have been known to snuggle up on the couch with a blanket (or 2, depending on how cold it is) and have some candles lit.......

Not very romantic, because there's generally no music, because you don't want to drain the batteries in the portable radios.

So, I guess it's pretty boring compared to what you see in the movies and on tv, we usually sit and play cards in a couple of layers of sweats and our stocking hats, LOL!

OOOh, man, you mean what is in the movies is not real... Well, someday I hope to make love by the fireplace on a bearskin rug.. ha, ha....

For now, wishing you all to stay warm. Wearing my flip flops again, sending lots of love from Florida.

OOOh, man, you mean what is in the movies is not real... Well, someday I hope to make love by the fireplace on a bearskin rug.. ha, ha....

For now, wishing you all to stay warm. Wearing my flip flops again, sending lots of love from Florida.

Right now I am feeling very envious of you. Winter hit Toronto, Canada early this year and the days have been cold and grey and snowy. Apparently this is thanks to la Nina, el Nino's ugly sister. Last year I was able to wear a fall jacket right up to mid-January. That was weird but nice. :bounce: It is the lack of sunlight combined with the cold that really gets a grrl. Thanks for the Florida love. I sure do wish I was in Florida. :phanvan My parents used to spend their winters down there and we would visit them. :) My father was one of those old man drivers from hell! :)