Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser So Cal BMI 39.8

I was just referred to Kaisers medical weight loss program by my primary care doctor. I have orientation in a week and a half. At what point do the doctors decide if Im a candidate for surgery? Im about 3 lbs off from having a BMI of 40. Ive weighed this for 3 years. I only have pre diabetes so I dont have a comorbidity. Could this disqualify me from surgery?
My primary care doctor didn’t explain all the requirements for surgery. Online it states I need a BMI of 40 OR BMI of 35 with comorbidity.

has anyone here had experience with this?

I think it's the insurance companies that care about that, not the surgeons. I think most surgeons would do it if you're between 35-40 BMI without co-morbidities - but a lot of insurance companies won't cover it without the co-morbidities. But it'd be worth checking out, at least. Maybe yours will..

I just posted about this because I've lost a lot of weight during the process of getting ready for surgery and I got two suggestions: wear ankle weights and slouch while they're taking your height. Unfortunately those won't work for me since I won't get weighed till I check in for surgery and my height was just recorded by my PCP who is in the same system. I've just resorted to overeating, which feels pretty gross, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Edited by lizonaplane

On 8/9/2021 at 12:05 AM, Kelpo said:

I was just referred to Kaisers medical weight loss program by my primary care doctor. I have orientation in a week and a half. At what point do the doctors decide if Im a candidate for surgery? Im about 3 lbs off from having a BMI of 40. Ive weighed this for 3 years. I only have pre diabetes so I dont have a comorbidity. Could this disqualify me from surgery?
My primary care doctor didn’t explain all the requirements for surgery. Online it states I need a BMI of 40 OR BMI of 35 with comorbidity.

has anyone here had experience with this?

I think I would make another appointment and eat like crazy leading up to it then drink a quart of Water just before. Make sure you have your keys, wallet, spare rolls of quarters, heavy shoes etc on when you weight in. Silly missing out over 3 pounds.

I was JUST under the 40 bmi mark and they took me. I had kidney disease, arthritis (which interfered with mobility), and I think that was it? No real Comorbidities.
they used that initial weigh in to qualify me. As I lost weight I went under that bmi marker but it was fine and I still got the surgery. They only used the initial weight for qualification.

it was a long process though because you have to do the options classes, get all the requirements done (ekg, psych screening, support groups), and I had to get my nephrologist to sign off on it so that was an extra step for me.

then covid pushed my surgery back…..lol.

(I went through so cal Kaiser. I used the south bay facility)

I started the process with my doctor referral in March of 2020. I started the options classes in October 2020. I finally got surgery March of 2021.

(highest weight 330, surgery weight was 297, and my current weight 5 months from surgery is 235). Goal weight they wanted to see me between 175-190.