Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I didn’t really feel hungry for ages - 18 months. A couple of times in that time I experienced real hunger. Each time was late at night because I had eaten very little all day. The first time was at about 8 months when I was trying to maintain.

At 26 months post surgery, I still have days or part days when I’m not really hungry or interested in eating. To combat that I try to eat to a routine, at least eating three meals & try to get close to my Protein goal. I don’t mind if I don’t eat everything as long as it’s something. This morning I wasn’t hungry but I made sure I had something for Breakfast at about 9:30. While it’s okay to have the odd low calorie day & day you don’t meet your protein goals, but it should be the exception not the rule.

Have a chat with your dietician. They may be able to suggest some ways to still get in your protein & calories. You could try incorporating a Protein Shake on a no appetite day - drinking not eating.

Edited by Arabesque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Arabesque said:

I didn’t really feel hungry for ages - 18 months. A couple of times in that time I experienced real hunger. Each time was late at night because I had eaten very little all day. The first time was at about 8 months when I was trying to maintain.

At 26 months post surgery, I still have days or part days when I’m not really hungry or interested in eating. To combat that I try to eat to a routine, at least eating three meals & try to get close to my Protein goal. I don’t mind if I don’t eat everything as long as it’s something. This morning I wasn’t hungry but I made sure I had something for Breakfast at about 9:30. While it’s okay to have the odd low calorie day & day you don’t meet your Protein goals, but it should be the exception not the rule.

Have a chat with your dietician. They may be able to suggest some ways to still get in your protein & calories. You could try incorporating a Protein Shake on a no appetite day - drinking not eating.

Did you have the Endoscopic sleeve or the gastric sleeve? Looking to see how people are doing that have had ESG a while ago.

Edited by flgirl23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a sleeve gastrectomy so I had at least 75% of my stomach removed not just sectioned off. The section that was removed contains the area of the stomach where most of our hunger hormone is produced hence the lack of hunger.

Out of curiosity why did you choose the ESG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

I had a sleeve gastrectomy so I had at least 75% of my stomach removed not just sectioned off. The section that was removed contains the area of the stomach where most of our hunger hormone is produced hence the lack of hunger.

Out of curiosity why did you choose the ESG?

I haven't completely decided yet but my reasons are:

> I really don't want the down time that you have with the regular sleeve. I like the idea of a quicker recovery.

> I like the idea of losing weight at a slower pace. I don't want to get too skinny too fast. I only want to lose 50-60lbs. Of course there is that chance I won't even lose that much with ESG vs. with the sleeve the odds are better.

> I feel like if I had more to lose I would definitely do the sleeve but it seems like it is a drastic move for that amount of weight loss.

Edited by flgirl23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing. I was curious as your height & starting weight & BMI are similar to mine were. Honestly, when I started my research the permanency of the surgery was a concern too but the more reading I did & self reflection I realised the permanency was what I probably needed. Not that I was really someone who binged, emotionally ate or craved food but I felt it was the only way to alter my dead slow metabolism & the hormonal influence on my weight gain/loss cycle. That was my thinking for my situation & it’s certainly worked so far.

Good luck whatever surgery you choose. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Thanks for sharing. I was curious as your height & starting weight & BMI are similar to mine were. Honestly, when I started my research the permanency of the surgery was a concern too but the more reading I did & self reflection I realised the permanency was what I probably needed. Not that I was really someone who binged, emotionally ate or craved food but I felt it was the only way to alter my dead slow metabolism & the hormonal influence on my weight gain/loss cycle. That was my thinking for my situation & it’s certainly worked so far.

Good luck whatever surgery you choose. 😀

Thank you for bringing that point up. I have been self- reflecting as well. I am not a binge eater but I do not eat the best or exercise currently and those are things I will have to change going with either procedure. That being said the regular sleeve forces you to comply more than the ESG. I even convinced a friend that the sleeve was better for her for that reason but she had higher stats than me so it was a no brainer for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/24/2021 at 8:27 PM, Cbrinley0003 said:

Does anyone have days they bearly eat? I'm 3 months out and just don't feel hungry.

Sent from my REVVLRY using BariatricPal mobile app

In 3 months, I’ll be three years post op.

Just last Friday all I ate/drank for the entire day was 2 martinis and a a couple spoonfuls of guacamole. I forced myself to eat the guac cuz I felt i needed SOMETHING in my stomach…but I definitely did not want nor enjoy it.

But then I went to a couple bbqs the next two days, so it all evened out in the end, lol.

So yeah, no-eat days are still a reality almost 3 YEARS out (well, for me at least)

Edited by ms.sss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ms.sss said:

In 3 months, I’ll be three years post op.

Just last Friday all I ate/drank for the entire day was 2 martinis and a a couple spoonfuls of guacamole. I forced myself to eat the guac cuz I felt i needed SOMETHING in my stomach…but I definitely did not want nor enjoy it.

But then I went to a couple bbqs the next two days, so it all evened out in the end, lol.

So yeah, no-eat days are still a reality almost 3 YEARS out (well, for me at least)

Did you have the Gastric sleeve or the ESG? This is the ESG forum, but your profile says Gastric Sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flgirl23 said:

Did you have the Gastric sleeve or the ESG? This is the ESG forum, but your profile says Gastric Sleeve.

Oh, oopsies! Yes, i had the sleeve (i rarely look at the forum categories on my feed…sorry!)

Good luck, all ! ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Oh, oopsies! Yes, i had the sleeve (i rarely look at the forum categories on my feed…sorry!)

Good luck, all ! ❤️

no worries. it gives us a good comparison with the regular sleeve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Sunshine Princess

      I just had a teaspoon of hummus with a teaspoon of avocado topped with a teaspoon of greek yogurt and it. was. GLORIOUS. I'm four days out and my surgeon gave me the greenlight to work in small amounts of pureed food. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 1 reply
      1. acopas

        Way to go!

    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×