Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meds that need to be taken with food?

What do you do for the first couple of weeks after surgery if you have a medication that is supposed to be taken with food?

This is definitely something to discuss with your doctor. I was taking Xarelto at the time of my surgery and my hematologist told me that I would need to switch meds because I wouldn't be able to eat enough after surgery (Xarelto requires a substantial meal to be bio-available). He prescribed Eliquis since Coumadin had already proven to be ineffective for me. My insurance denied the Eliquis and I couldn't afford to pay for it out of pocket. So I stayed with the Xarelto and just as my hemadoc predicted, I got a blood clot. I couldn't eat enough at one time for Xarelto be effective. I ended up being admitted to the hospital and once I was discharged, my hematologist switched me to Lovenox (an injectable med). It's much more expensive than the Eliquis, plus the insurance company had to pay for my inpatient stay. Fortunately, I recovered okay, with no long-term effects.

I say all that to say, if your med indicates that it has to be taken with food, definitely have a conversation with your doctor about how to handle it. The food requirement might not just be to avoid stomach problems, it could actually be the difference between medicine working or not working.

Thanks so much...good to be aware of those issues, will definitely discuss. One is an anti-inflammatory that is less corrosive than the NSAIDs that gave me an ulcer, but I’m supposed to take it for another couple of months. I may just have to delay my surgery until I’m done with it.

Like jaelzion I was on a medication that required a certain number of calories in order for the body to absorb it properly. (A mood stabilizer for bipolar that requires at least 350 calories at one time which is impossible right after and counter productive even at two months out). Between the surgeon and my psychiatrist they decided to switch me to a different medication and I decided to do it ahead of time and wait to see if it worked for me before I went through with the surgery.