Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month till my band-scared about hunger

I've read that one of the negatives of the band is not achieving a sense of fullness. Is this just during the liquid phase, or is it something you will always deal with?

The reason I had the band put in was to get the feeling of fullness and it work just fine in that area. The only draw back I see to the band so far is the fills needed to get to the spot where your band works the best...but it sure beats the drastic surgery the others offer and I am 200% satisfied with my decision to lapband.

Smellycat was my favorite song Lisa sang on Friends

fullnes is something you will have to work on in your head. us obese people eat until we are full stuufed and miserable , well not any more. eating until satisfied is now the rule of thumb. got to get it out of your head about eating until you are full. you will no longer be living to eat but instead eating to live.

Being banded has given me a new understanding of fullness. The hunger you hear people complaining about only occurs during the early phases when you really can't eat solid food to satisfy them. Later on, we get hungry because we're human and that's the way our bodies work, but it's easy to eat enough to be satisfied. And "enough" is a whole new can of worms. A very small can. :D

Thank you all for your insights. Greg, when you say the only drawback you've experienced is the fills... you've had trouble finding the right fill amount? Or the process/cost of fills in general? I'm trying to soak up as much advice as I can before jump in!

Well I probably shouldn't have called it a drawback. Its just a little frustrating waiting for the Dr to get the right amount in the band. And since each person is differnet its not something Dr's can just say will work. So its put some in .. then more then take some out...LOL i don't pay for anything so I should keep my formally big mouth shut LOL

But I feel I'm at the right spot with the band fills. Just have to get back on track with the proper eating.

The first few weeks I dwelled on food, but I noticed yesterday I'm not as obsessed about it as I use to be. Although, with this slow weight loss, maybe I should concentrate a little more than I have been. Errrr!

Hi. i get my band on March 1. I start a two wk liquid thing on 2/16 before that, which i am dreading because if I could have tolerated two weeks of liquid anything I might not be getting a lapband, if that makes sense.

I have two fears: One the totally irrational fear or "grief" that I will not be getting to overeat again. Seriously. I had a panic over this????!!

But two: that rather than be able to eat all foods in moderation, even if enforced, I'll not be eating all foods, and thus restricted. Not freedom from food at all.

I didn't know what "full" meant when I weighed 313 pounds. It was painful though. You won't be hungry with the Band. Well, you might get a little hungry during the liquid stage, but that's just temporary. Other than that, the food you eat will satisfy you.

I went through a grieving process for the loss of eating huge quantities of food... but it was short lived... the satisfaction of eating small amounts and being able to stop with the help of my band buried those silly thoughts I had. I was restricted during the liquid stage... but lucky for me... my surgeon allowed pureed foods starting on day three post-op. I was actually restricted right up till a few days before my first fill... and very thankful for that! THe full feeling is much different than before but just as satisfying for me... the only part that still isn't satisfied at times is my brain but that is getting better too.

I find myself eating higher-quality foods now. I used to cram anything in my mouth no matter what it tasted like. I went to a Superbowl party Sunday and made myself a nice plate. But I squished my nose up at the fruit salad cuz it was frozen fruit. Then I poo-poohed the crab salad cuz it wasn't real crab. The chili tasted store-bought so I didn't eat that either. My taste buds have become sensitive and they seem to prefer real food, the good stuff, so I ate the eggs out of the potato salad. Even the potato were too hard. I was never a picky eater (just the opposite) but the Band makes it easier to realize what foods are worth eating and which ones aren't.

We get a lot of goodies in my office. If I want something, I ask a co-worker to taste it first and tell me whether it's worth splurging on. If their eyes roll back in their heads, then I'll have some. But there were iced cinnamon rolls last week that I didn't even touch cuz 2 people said they weren't worth it. However, I just ate a square of fudge since everyone's raving about it, and they were right! Mmmm. As long as I stop now, I'll be fine.

Hi- I was really surprised and am very pleased with the bands performance.

I still do get hungry, but eat Protein first and that usually takes care of it...unless it is a mental-I'm bored,tired, cold, hunger. Then I try to eat things that do the least damage...a bowl of salad, Peanut Butter and crackers, beef jerky......I have lost 61 lbs, 22 before banding, I am now losing very slowly but that is ok, I can be patient at this point. I do sometimes grieve the loss, BUT, not as much as I thought I would...during the holidays I still felt like I was pigging out, but it was always 1/2 to 2/3 less than I would have eaten normally . Some how the being able to fit into size 12's is much more emotional than not being able to eat 3 slices of pizza and a 32 oz coke.

I LOVE it!!!!!!

Nancy

I was totally without hunger during liquids and mushies....and now on solids I am only slightly hungry and pretty much indifferent to it, as it takes so little to satisfy it....I no longer spend most the day planning what to eat next.....

You know...I know what you mean about planning what to eat next. Before the surgery--and very recently indeed-my days would be spent thinking about what yummy things I would have at the next meal...rather than if I was truly hungry for the next meal! Those days are gone...and GOOD RIDDANCE. Here's to thinking about food in a WHOLE different way...like as a source of energy.

Joan

I am four weeks post-op, my surgeon required two weeks of Clear Liquids and two of full liquids, before the mushies. I was very scared before my procedure, I did not think I would make it through that phase. I made it and it was not so bad, I was never really hungry. You will feel really great when you can see and feel a few pounds gone!

Guest AXACheerMom

I am REALLY new here...This is only my 1st post outside of Introductions, but I totally understand how you feel. I am considering getting banded, and i too feel a bit of grief. food has been my friend for so long, and has been the way the I have been shown and have shown "love" to others that it makes me sad to know that I will be losing the comfort and contentment that I have always gotten from my favorite things. I am an avid cook and have a small addiction to Food TV. My daughter and i love to cook together, although she is a tiny size "0" cheerleader... I only have a couple of years before she goes to college, and I don't want to lose our time together in the kitchen.

However, I do want to be healthy so I can still be around for her children one day