Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery diabetes



Recommended Posts

Positive post for people living with diabetes and in the pre op phase. I became a diabetic at 29 in 2018 my first blood sugar reading was 329 A1C 13.5.I was put on meds metaformin and insulin, but changed my lifestyle and was running too many lows so was taken off. In 2020 I started to get real bad yeast infections( TMI) checked my blood sugar 521 A1C 11.5 scheduled an appointment with a endocrinologist was put on humalog and trujao soloster. After getting my A1C down to 6. I was put on ozempic and trujao. Two weeks after surgery I was told discount all meds and that I didn’t have to see my endocrinologist anymore. Since surgery resting sugar is always 70 never below and after a meal in the 90’s the highest it’s been was 104. Sorry for the long post but I wanted you all to know my struggle. Btw I had surgery 3/3. I hope others who are undergoing surgery due to weight and diabetes get the same blessing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diabetes is cured by WLS like 80% of the time...that's exactly why I had it! (I was pre-diabetic, but with my symptoms getting worse and only 5 years younger than when my dad got it, I knew I was about to get it.)

It's so fascinating that drastic diabetes improvements are seen right after surgery - not just after the weight is lost. Just like you experienced! Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, that's amazing!! I needed to read this today! My decision to seriously consider WLS was motivated by my uncontrolled diabetes. I've been struggling for years to get my blood sugar under control with little success. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm nervous about the surgery but I know that my diabetes is slowly killing me and I have to do this for my long term health.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 9:23 PM, Chantrella said:

Positive post for people living with diabetes and in the pre op phase. I became a diabetic at 29 in 2018 my first blood sugar reading was 329 A1C 13.5.I was put on meds metaformin and insulin, but changed my lifestyle and was running too many lows so was taken off. In 2020 I started to get real bad yeast infections( TMI) checked my blood sugar 521 A1C 11.5 scheduled an appointment with a endocrinologist was put on humalog and trujao soloster. After getting my A1C down to 6. I was put on ozempic and trujao. Two weeks after surgery I was told discount all meds and that I didn’t have to see my endocrinologist anymore. Since surgery resting sugar is always 70 never below and after a meal in the 90’s the highest it’s been was 104. Sorry for the long post but I wanted you all to know my struggle. Btw I had surgery 3/3. I hope others who are undergoing surgery due to weight and diabetes get the same blessing!

Thats one of the many reasons why I chose gastric bypass. I have been borderline diabetic many times and im so scared of developing type 2 diabetes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MizzKay said:

Thats one of the many reasons why I chose gastric bypass. I have been borderline diabetic many times and im so scared of developing type 2 diabetes.

Yes, my doctor told me RNY is better for diabetes and that’s why I chose that one over sleeve. I’m loving the readings after and before meal and most importantly fasting sugars are great! No more lows!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2021 at 5:39 PM, Dani64519 said:

wow, that's amazing!! I needed to read this today! My decision to seriously consider WLS was motivated by my uncontrolled diabetes. I've been struggling for years to get my blood sugar under control with little success. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm nervous about the surgery but I know that my diabetes is slowly killing me and I have to do this for my long term health.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I hope you have a speedy recovery. After the surgery was a rough road for me but once the swelling goes down things start to flow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2021 at 8:12 PM, Chantrella said:

I hope you have a speedy recovery. After the surgery was a rough road for me but once the swelling goes down things start to flow!

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this post! One of the biggest reasons I am doing surgery is because of my uncontrolled diabetes. When asked why I am undergoing such a drastic choice to control my weight and diabetes, I tell them I would Rather give up part of my stomach than to give up my feet or eyesight to diabetes! Here’s to a favorable out come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was told by doctor to stop all diabetic medication 3 day prior to my two week pre diet because i have history of blood sugar dropping to low and i had surgery June 14 2021 and havnt had any diabetic mediciaton since i was on meal time insulin ozempic and bed time insulin and merfromin all Before surgery and I’m still having problems of my blood sugar dropping to low when i try to exercise its so fursting but i would rather that then be to high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm one of the sad exceptions. I was borderline pre-diabetic and chose bypass hoping to stave off diabetes. For the first three months post-op, my fasting BG was around 70-80. But after the three month mark, it shot back up into the 90's, and today, two years out, it's right back to where it was originally -- typically 95-104 fasting.

My A1C went from 4.9 right after surgery to 5.2, so I'm still reasonably okay, but the surgery did not change my situation at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/7/2021 at 1:50 AM, Prestonandme said:

I'm one of the sad exceptions. I was borderline pre-diabetic and chose bypass hoping to stave off diabetes. For the first three months post-op, my fasting BG was around 70-80. But after the three month mark, it shot back up into the 90's, and today, two years out, it's right back to where it was originally -- typically 95-104 fasting.

My A1C went from 4.9 right after surgery to 5.2, so I'm still reasonably okay, but the surgery did not change my situation at all.

@Prestonandme those are still great numbers congratulations. I am 20 days post-op my numbers went from 200 into pre-diabetic numbers 100-120 not sure if it would get better as I am loosing the weight. Happy Holidays and thank you for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 1 reply
      1. acopas

        Way to go!

    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

    • Reluctantsleever

      Scheduled for VSG and hernia repair surgery 5/18/22
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×