Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgeries - check in!



Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Thanks for the encouragement...Yes we can do this!
My surgeon will be Dr. Minkin in St. Louis. He’s such an upbeat person and I’ve had good experiences with him doing several colonoscopies over the years for me that I’m not worried about him doing this.
I’m mostly worried about disconnecting from my comfort foods, I definitely will need to find some activity to take its place.

Boy, I'm right there with you. Finding a healthy substitute for food is the biggest challenge of all. I think of the surgery as a tool, but getting my head straight with food is really the journey. A friend who had surgery some years ago recommended a book that I am currently reading. It's called The Emotional First+Aid Kit (a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery) by Cynthia Alexander, PsyD. It has some useful guidance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

YAY, that's my day too!!!!!!!

Have you started the liquid diet yet? I’m getting nervous and thinking maybe with just doing this I won’t need the surgery but I know that this won’t last and I need the change even though I’m scared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mandya84 said:

Have you started the liquid diet yet? I’m getting nervous and thinking maybe with just doing this I won’t need the surgery but I know that this won’t last and I need the change even though I’m scared.

No. I start my pre op diet (4 shakes a day and 4, 1 cup servings of non starchy veggies) on May 8th. I have thought that same thing a million times and even did liquid diets in the past but that never lasts long (nor do I ever lose much). So I'm totally excited and ready for the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

No. I start my pre op diet (4 shakes a day and 4, 1 cup servings of non starchy veggies) on May 8th. I have thought that same thing a million times and even did liquid diets in the past but that never lasts long (nor do I ever lose much). So I'm totally excited and ready for the surgery.

I’m excited as well just anxious I guess! I started my liquid diet today. Not going to lie I had a hard time drinking the 5 Protein Shakes as I wasn’t hungry. Thinking that’s not going to last! I’m jealous of the fact you can eat! I’m all liquid and had to do 3 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mandya84 said:

I’m excited as well just anxious I guess! I started my liquid diet today. Not going to lie I had a hard time drinking the 5 Protein Shakes as I wasn’t hungry. Thinking that’s not going to last! I’m jealous of the fact you can eat! I’m all liquid and had to do 3 weeks.

Yikes!!! 3 weeks all liquid? And I thought I had it bad with just the shakes and veggies as I've seen others who were able to eat meat at least once a day. I think that it just hasn't hit me yet that this is happening. I'm sure once it gets closer I may get anxious, I don't know. Guess we'll see!! You're gonna do great! So am I! Gotta stay positive!! So happy to have someone else going in the same day as me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SummerTimeGirl said:

Yikes!!! 3 weeks all liquid? And I thought I had it bad with just the shakes and veggies as I've seen others who were able to eat meat at least once a day. I think that it just hasn't hit me yet that this is happening. I'm sure once it gets closer I may get anxious, I don't know. Guess we'll see!! You're gonna do great! So am I! Gotta stay positive!! So happy to have someone else going in the same day as me.

I totally agree! It’s great having someone going the same day! Yes, we will do fantastic!! Yes all liquid! I guess it’s a good start for the post op diet! You’ll do great on the pre op diet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Yall! I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, May 5th. I am super excited and nervous. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Has anyone found that drinking Protein Shakes make you want to vomit?!? LOL i cannot stomach them very well and i literally just want to barf thinking about having to drink one haha Yes i am drinking them but dang! I have bought from the cheap Premier ones to the expensive $80 tub of Protein Powder. Nope, money doesnt make it better thats for sure lol. Also, anyone keeping track of you weight loss on the pre op diet and so on. I have been watching my weight and my measurements. I will be doing the last set on Tuesday for my final "weigh in" I look forward to chatting with yall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 04/30/2021 at 08:55, Arcadia said:



Hello Yall! I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, May 5th. I am super excited and nervous. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Has anyone found that drinking Protein Shakes make you want to vomit?!? LOL i cannot stomach them very well and i literally just want to barf thinking about having to drink one haha Yes i am drinking them but dang! I have bought from the cheap Premier ones to the expensive $80 tub of Protein Powder. Nope, money doesnt make it better thats for sure lol. Also, anyone keeping track of you weight loss on the pre op diet and so on. I have been watching my weight and my measurements. I will be doing the last set on Tuesday for my final "weigh in" I look forward to chatting with yall


Hi Arcadia! My surgery is Monday! I am also excited and nervous—but I am ready! I have a hard time with Protein Shakes, too. I normally like them when I can mix them with almond milk and fruit, but on the liquid, pre-op diet, I can’t have fruit. I love Fairlife Core Protein —26 grams of protein and tastes like chocolate milk to me—it is the best I have found. I only drink one a day though because the sugar content is a little higher than Premier Protein. I have been keeping up with my weight-loss during the pre-op diet, and I am down 15 lbs. Let me know how your surgery goes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Hello Yall! I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday, May 5th. I am super excited and nervous. My nerves are trying to get the best of me. Has anyone found that drinking Protein Shakes make you want to vomit?!? LOL i cannot stomach them very well and i literally just want to barf thinking about having to drink one haha Yes i am drinking them but dang! I have bought from the cheap Premier ones to the expensive $80 tub of Protein Powder. Nope, money doesnt make it better thats for sure lol. Also, anyone keeping track of you weight loss on the pre op diet and so on. I have been watching my weight and my measurements. I will be doing the last set on Tuesday for my final "weigh in" I look forward to chatting with yall

Yes I am on day 3 of my liver shrink and the Protein Shakes are really hard to get down. Someone suggested to me to make freeze pops out of them and im going to try that. Might make it a bit easier. Good luck with your surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found out yesterday that I’m scheduled for May 19! I felt a wave of excitement and terror haha. My pre op appt is this Tuesday the 4th. I’m still not sure when I’m going to be able to get my lab work done, my kids had to go back to distance learning after they each had a teacher test positive for covid. Their dad is also out of town for work until June 25. When it rains it pours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LuckyKelleyK said:

I found out yesterday that I’m scheduled for May 19! I felt a wave of excitement and terror haha. My pre op appt is this Tuesday the 4th. I’m still not sure when I’m going to be able to get my lab work done, my kids had to go back to distance learning after they each had a teacher test positive for covid. Their dad is also out of town for work until June 25. When it rains it pours!

Yay, another May 19th! That's 3 of us now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All, first post, I'm scheduled for May 10th. I took 3 months from the initial visit to realize this is the best course of action for me. Coming from a family history of obesity i don't want to live like this any more. I've started the pre-op diet and am happy to say I've discovered whole new sections of our grocery store. Now just have to figure out what to do with everything in the pantry and refrigerator I can't eat any longer. It's scary but a friend of mine who had it 5 years ago has been a big help. He said you'll wake up and ask yourself what have I done, but at least its not a sex reassignment. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jmk77379 said:

Hi All, first post, I'm scheduled for May 10th. I took 3 months from the initial visit to realize this is the best course of action for me. Coming from a family history of obesity i don't want to live like this any more. I've started the pre-op diet and am happy to say I've discovered whole new sections of our grocery store. Now just have to figure out what to do with everything in the pantry and refrigerator I can't eat any longer. It's scary but a friend of mine who had it 5 years ago has been a big help. He said you'll wake up and ask yourself what have I done, but at least its not a sex reassignment. 😀

Hah! Hysterical.

It took me some time to decide to move forward as well and thankfully, I had some time to clear out the "stuff" from my kitchen that I knew I wouldn't be eating any time soon. I hear about people having regrets right after. Having a sense of humor and being kind to our bodies is a good place to start.

Let us know how your surgery goes and best wishes for a successful one and a speedy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, just joined this app/forum. My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow (5/3/21) after being cancelled in Dec because of COVID. Starting to be nervous now that the day is finally here, but some of your posts have helped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Thunder Thighs  »  countrygirl29

      hello , im a four days post op of having the Roux En Y done and things seem to be going well , alil concerned about the rather large divot in my left side if my stomach . Did you have that issue ?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Tunchi71

      3 months later and down 60 lbs......is that good?
      · 1 reply
      1. Tunchi71

        I ended up having the surgery on March 1st.

    • spatty

      June 17th is almost here. Picked up everything I need for my after surgery needs. After work will go home and finish packing a light overnight bag to make sure I don't forget anything. And the final countdown begins. Not nervous at all just looking forward to the call for my arrival time. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Fredeique2020  »  Catherinetheokay

      I am 19 days post op and I am still struggling to drink the fluids. I am not even able to drink the protein shakes their now nasty to me , I tried the protein bars & it didn’t end well. I have chest pains & I can barely eat. I am weak & my mouth is always dry, and feeling nauseous. Can anyone provide any advise. At least I doing the vitamins. Recently my chest & stomach have a burning sensation. 
      · 2 replies
      1. SamanthaC12

        I had a very difficult time finding protein shakes that tasted okay and didn't make me sick. I ended up drinking FairLife Core Power protein shakes. I love the chocolate (tastes like chocolate milk to me). I like to blend it with some ice and PB2 powder (or real PB) to give the smoothie consistency. I also found that if I put Panera's Turkey Vegetable soup through the blender, I could eat it. I survived off those two things. My chest pains were from the gas, which was incredibly bad and took so much longer than I expected to resolve. I'd definitely stay away from bars or anything solid until you've conquered liquids. I'd love to tell you the dry mouth will get better soon, but it didn't for me for a very long time (months). The plus to that was that I drank a ton of water. The good new is I suspect you are close to the light at the end of the tunnel on this first and hardest part of the journey. It gets SO much easier after this part.

      2. Iluvbats

        I am 2 days post-op and really struggling with everything. My depression isn't helping any. I couldn't even finish one shake today and swallowing meds is just excruciating.

    • Crystalmoon

      I am a week post op and I honestly feel like crap! I keep feeling so nauseous and I can’t get my self to drink a good amount of water. I honestly feel very regretful today. When does it get better? 
      · 2 replies
      1. adventuremomof4

        By the third week you will feel some relief. Don't push yourself too much with quantity that first week. I just made sure to keep sipping and walking which helped me feel better.

      2. Iluvbats

        I hear you. This has been the hardest day for me so far (2 days post-op).

  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×