Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leg numbness?? tingling sensation



Recommended Posts

Hello! I had my surgery on December 26 so I am a few months in already. Starting last week I've been having numbness in my thigh and leg area and it is sort of tingly as well. Whenever I try to stand I look like I'm a child who is barely starting to take their first steps! I can't stay standing up for too long because I feel like my legs can give out on me at any moment. My legs already gave out on me twice these last two days and I fell onto the floor and my family needed to help me up. I cannot walk properly.

I already went to the hospital and had everything checked out and they said everything is completely fine and that I'm am just lacking my B-12 Vitamins. I will admit I was not taking the vitamins that seriously which was my fault but I am taking it more seriously now.

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has ever experienced this? How long did it take for you to get the feeling back in your legs? Are there any exercises I should be doing to help? or should I just be in bed resting? Any products you recommend that I should buy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

deficiency in B Vitamins can definitely cause nerve issues. Keep on top of your vitamins for sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you crossing your legs when you sit? I ask b/c this happened to my sister when she lost weight, and she ended seeing a neurologist who quickly figured out that it was from crossing her legs (which she had been unable to do for many years), and that it was a temporary condition that would go away (which it did)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they check to see if you pinched a nerve in your back? When you lose a lot of weight your posture changes. I would look into the Vitamin issue but it could be that you are now sitting or standing with more or less of a curve in your lower back. For those of us that had thick thighs pre weight loss lying on our side kept our hips and knees in alignment. As you lose weight and your thighs get thinner your knees comes together when lying on your side and could be rotating your lower spine. Back issues are not always doing a sudden activity and getting pain. A lot can be slower due to postural changes. Maybe ask your doctor for a referral to physical therapy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ChubRub said:

Are you crossing your legs when you sit? I ask b/c this happened to my sister when she lost weight, and she ended seeing a neurologist who quickly figured out that it was from crossing her legs (which she had been unable to do for many years), and that it was a temporary condition that would go away (which it did)!

Oh wow! Yes, I actually have been crossing my legs a lot. I had no clue that this could be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

Did they check to see if you pinched a nerve in your back? When you lose a lot of weight your posture changes. I would look into the Vitamin issue but it could be that you are now sitting or standing with more or less of a curve in your lower back. For those of us that had thick thighs pre weight loss lying on our side kept our hips and knees in alignment. As you lose weight and your thighs get thinner your knees comes together when lying on your side and could be rotating your lower spine. Back issues are not always doing a sudden activity and getting pain. A lot can be slower due to postural changes. Maybe ask your doctor for a referral to physical therapy.

Yes, they checked pretty much everything. I use to have very thick thighs actually and I have noticed that I have lost a ton of weight in my thigh area. I'm guessing it's just my legs trying to get used to the new feeling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thighs went numb a couple of months ago. It was the back part of my thighs... I never got the feeling back. My labs are fine, so it wasn't that. My doctor thinks it's from my back (they suspect I have a slipped or bulging disc. I have an MRI on the 19th so I guess I'll find out then).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jklo said:

Oh wow! Yes, I actually have been crossing my legs a lot. I had no clue that this could be a problem.

My sister's doctor called it "Thinner's Leg" but when I googled it I didn't find anything, so maybe this was his personal term for it? But basically it was from losing fat and making it easier to press on the nerve when crossing your legs combined with the fact that she hadn't been able to cross her legs when she was obese, so her body had to get used to her new sitting position and also get used to not having all that fat protecting her nerves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ChubRub said:

Are you crossing your legs when you sit? I ask b/c this happened to my sister when she lost weight, and she ended seeing a neurologist who quickly figured out that it was from crossing her legs (which she had been unable to do for many years), and that it was a temporary condition that would go away (which it did)!

this totally makes sense - I hadn't even thought of that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×