Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op medications.....is this normal?

Got off the phone with the nurse who wants me to take 1000mg Tylenol, Gabapentin, and Celebrex on the way to the hospital the morning of plus the night before. Is this normal? I have never taken Gabapentin and I known it is for nerve pain. I am very sensitive to medications and I am a little worried. I was too excited when I was getting the information to ask questions :(

I’m not a medical person but it seems odd they’d prescribe Celebrex as it’s a NSAID which we’re not supposed to take after surgery (damage to the stomach lining). Tylenol doesn’t have blood thinning qualities so it’s the only over the counter pain med you can really have pre & just after surgery. But it does cause issues if you’re diabetic. Ask your medical team why you have to take them before you go to hospital? Any benefits would have worn off after 3-4 hours & I don’t think any of them are cumulative. I didn’t have to take anything. The hospital provided all the meds I needed pre & post surgery but I’m in Australia so it may be different here.

Good luck with your surgery.

Do you have a "mychart" or "patientgateway" type system where you can send a message to your provider? I would ask them through the system or call or email them to ask your questions. I know it's so hard when we get excited to ask questions, and sometimes we just don't think of them at the time!

I haven't heard of Tylenol causing issues if you're diabetic - I work in oncology clinical research and I know patients with diabetes are prescribed high doses all the time. (But again, I'm not a doctor or nurse.)

Celebrex is an NSAID but some NSAIDS are safer for the stomach lining. Gabapentin is good for nerve pain but I'm not sure about single dose usage, as I haven't seen that. Gabapentin is the only one that I would say has side effects you would likely notice, and it would likely be sleepiness, so don't drive after you take it.

Good luck!

Was not a part of my experience, but there might be good reasons why they recommend it as part of yours. Do you trust your doctor otherwise, feel comfortable with credentials, team, facility? Good reputation, etc?

I had to take several meds once I was in the hospital. I do not remember what they were- it was 5am and I was not paying attention.

I had to drink a bunch of liquid Tylenol. I have always hated grape flavored anything and of course it was grape. Plus I've never been good with liquid meds. I was gagging through it. 🤢 The nurse apologized for torturing me, lol.

I was given pain meds at the hospital, on arrival, and I had to put a nausea patch on the night before.

4 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Was not a part of my experience, but there might be good reasons why they recommend it as part of yours. Do you trust your doctor otherwise, feel comfortable with credentials, team, facility? Good reputation, etc?

Yes this is a great team Dr Higa and Boone who are doing my surgery train surgeons all over the world so I feel confident in their care and the Fresno program has nothing but a good reputation. All that being said I did call and ask...they say gabapentin will help with the pain and the doses the night before and the morning of are to " pre load", I am also allergic to Ultram which is their usual go to which is why the Celebrex.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I have a few friends and family for support but I have no one who has been through or is going through this process so this has been wonderful!