Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hypothyroidism and gastric sleeve

Can anyone share their success story with gastric sleeve and hypothyroidism in need some support I had my surgery 17/11 and I lost 55 pounds I feel it’s too low comp. compared to anyone same surgery date I was expecting 70 lbs I don’t know if this normal or what am I doing wrong

when was your surgery?

I don't have experience with hypothyroidism.

55 pounds is fantastic. Try not to compare your weight loss with other people. I know it hard, but it will drive you crazy. Many of us are slow losers'. Its no how fast you lose its the fact you are losing weight.

I hope someone can share their experience. Hang in there😊

What was your starting weight/BMI? If you started with a BMI on the low end (~40), you're not going to lose as quickly as someone with a much higher BMI. But in any event, 55 pounds in 4.5 months is great. There are a lot of factors that can affect weight loss rate, so you shouldn't worry about how quickly you lose it, as long as you are still losing.

Are you on thyroid medication and have you had your bloodwork checked recently? I have hypothyroidism (I take medication for it) and I had gastric bypass, not sleeve, but my weight loss has been good.

I have hypothyroidism and had sleeve. Because of it, exercise is a crucial part of my plan. It helps keep my metabolism more normal. I have my thyroid levels checked to make sure my Levothyroxin doesn't need to be adjusted every six months. This is extremely important while your diet changes and you are losing weight. Make sure to keep up on your bloodwork.

Nothing has been as beneficial to my hypothroidism as 6 days a week of moderate exercise.

I lost weight much slower than many folks but I have not regained.

Edited by Creekimp13

16 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

I have hypothyroidism and had sleeve. Because of it, exercise is a crucial part of my plan. It helps keep my metabolism more normal. I have my thyroid levels checked to make sure my Levothyroxin doesn't need to be adjusted every six months. This is extremely important while your diet changes and you are losing weight. Make sure to keep up on your bloodwork.

Nothing has been as beneficial to my hypothroidism as 6 days a week of moderate exercise.

I lost weight much slower than many folks but I have not regained.

@Creekimp13 would you mind sharing more details of your exercise regimen?

Six days a week, I make sure I'm walking 13,000 steps a day, and I get 15 minutes of aerobic exercise each day. (Most of the time, I'm able to get my 15 minutes of areobic exercise by aggressively walking or jogging...I wear one of those goofy fitbits...and keep track)

I'm fairly active in general. I like to ride horses, canoe, bikejour behind my dog, garden, explore nature, go to natural exhibitions, state parks, etc.

Sometimes I barely make these goals, sometimes I exceed them by quite a lot. But these are my minimums.

Exercise is the least perscribed, and arguably, one of the most effective antidepressants available. Gives your metabolism a good kick in the pants, helps your bone density and encourages muscle retention and fat burning. It's good stuff!

Just make sure the exercise you do is something you ENJOY. Don't join a gym unless you really LIKE gyms. Whatever you do, and however you're moving...make sure it's something you look forward to.

Oh, and this is funny. I mow my yard with a push mower and I LOVE doing this. It's a weird thing to enjoy, but there is something very satisfying about seeing all those steps laid out as mowed grass. LOL. How many people do I know who have a gym membership and a riding lawn mower? Isn't that weird?

Edited by Creekimp13

Incidentally, the cool thing about walking, is that you can start wherever you're at. When I started walking at 270+ pounds, I was getting maybe 5000 steps a day and it was exhausting. I added 500 steps to my goal every month and worked my way up. You can do it as gradually as you need to. No one has to feel left out or unable.

Also remember that cardio is individual. When I was much heavier, I'd get cardio readings....doing the grocery shopping and bringing the bags in. When you're out of shape, it's easier to achieve cardio heart rate, and 15 minutes isn't a huge part of your day. Now, I kinda have to work for my 15 minutes of cardio....but it feels good. Don't get scared off by the word "cardio"....it's much easier to achieve as a very heavy person. And if you're on the road to fitness, it's just a good feeling.

I'd lost 52 lbs when I was at point where you are now, and I DON'T have hypothyroidism.

the others are right, never compare yourself to other people. Your rate of weight loss is dependent on so many factors, most of which you have little to no control over (e.g. age, gender, starting BMI, metabolic rate, genetics, whether or not you lost weight prior to surgery...). The two factors you DO have control over are how closely you stick to your clinic's eating plan and your activity level. If you do well with those, and your general weight trend is down, then you're good.

and btw - I lost over 200 lbs, so being a slow vs fast loser, in the long run, makes no difference. Your level of commitment is what makes the difference in your ultimate success.

2 minutes ago, s11rony303 said:

I started at 250 lb and I guess BMI 39 or 38

That is definitely at the low end! Most of us start with a BMI over 40 (which is the cutoff for most insurance companies if you do not have comorbidities). I started with a BMI over 60. Since you started so low, you should not expect to lose as much or as quickly as someone with a significantly higher BMI. 55 pounds in 3.5 months is fantastic!