Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are BEST side effects of WLS for you besides the WL?

Hello friends!

I am about halfway through my weight management program and am looking forward to (fingers crossed!) being approved for RNY in late June.

My question for you all: I read these boards daily and I read a lot about the struggles and challenges after surgery (let’s say first six months) - I’m trying to keep a positive mindset about the first few months and was curious if you’d share besides weight loss what have the BEST side effects been for you? What can us newbies look forward to in those first six months outside of weight loss? I know a lot of this is going to be a mental process so appreciate you sharing! ❤️

more energy and sorry if TMI, better intimate relations. it just feels different.

Too many to list, really.

Increased energy and stamina, able to participate in physical activities that were out of reach for years, no more BP or cholesterol meds, no more sleep apnea, being in control of my eating and my weight (and more generally my life), pride in what I've accomplished, not feeling like I'm being stared at in public (or actually being stared at), having clothes that look good and fit well...

I could go on, but you get the idea.

One of many...medical professionals speak to me much more kindly and respectfully. Instead of dismissing everything with "You need to lose weight", they actually assess and evaluate my symptoms.

1 hour ago, Jaelzion said:

One of many...medical professionals speak to me much more kindly and respectfully. Instead of dismissing everything with "You need to lose weight", they actually assess and evaluate my symptoms.

Good one!

2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

...pride in what I've accomplished, not feeling like I'm being stared at in public (or actually being stared at), having clothes that look good and fit well...

All of this. I'm very proud of how far I've come, relieved that I don't get gawked at when I go out in public now (when I was almost 400 pounds people would stare. I hated that), and being able to fit in something that I buy off the rack without having to actually try it on and it looking GOOD! (that was rare before my weight loss. I'd try on a dozen things and be lucky if I like even one of those dozen things. Now everything fits and my problem is deciding what I want and since I'm still losing to try to not buy too much because I'm likely to go down at least 1 or 2 more sizes. I figure with the way my clothes are fitting right now if I lose another 5 pounds I'll be in a different pants size and another 10 for a different shirt size)

Edited by NovaLuna
spelling error

-No more blood pressure meds
-No more CPAP
-Buying cute clothes that I like, not just what fits me
-I can wear high heals again without my feet being in severe pain within minutes
-No red face and huffing & puffing with the smallest bit of exertion
-More confidence in general
-I can fit comfortably in a kayak, canoe, and airplane seat.
So much more. Life is good.

I hope you get your date in June.

One of the best gifts out of surgery was overcoming my stress eating. I now think of food as health and fuel. I was surprised that nutrition is still flavorful and delicious.😁

Energy, health, confidence, keeping up with the family, doing many things that my body could not do.

Energy!! Healthy! No more foot, ankle, knee pain. Cute clothes. Not being afraid to go do things because I might get too tired, be in too much pain, etc. My husband can easily wrap his arms around me for superior hugs. I can sit on his lap without fear of hurting him or breaking a chair. So. Many. Things.

Edited by WishMeSmaller

wearing shorts again! oh how i’ve missed them. life is better with bare legs. my favorite part of this journey so far is that my legs have the most noticeable changes. i carried very heavy in my legs and belly and both are shrinking at a consistent rate. down 78 pounds in 5.5 months. 2 more lbs and i’ll be halfway to my goal weight. Enjoy the journey!!

All the things others said...... + increase in sex drive. Confidence in knowing that I can do and fit in almost anything.

Also, the way others treat you..... People can say all they want that "fat" people aren't discriminated against.... but we all know that's a bunch of bull cr*p...... When i was "large" people would turn the other way. I could be on crutches, caring a baby and trying to open a door (over exaggerating)... and no help. Now walking down the street, men go out of their way to help.... open doors, help with car issues, offer to help with groceries.... etc. People look at me and not my size... I felt like i was always being "examined"...

The main one for me is no longer being a diabetic.

Don't have to use a cane, or a wheelchair to get around.

No more C-Pap machine.

Fibro has got a lot better, decreased pain.

Going from 13 meds to only 3.

Much more energy. Not sleeping for 14 hours a day.

Not sweating all the time, having a red face.

Feeling healthy, eating good for me foods. Feel good about myself for once.

Fitting in my car a lot more comfy, being able to wear my seatbelt, without it squishing me.

Much more comfy in my bed, lots more room to move around.

Actually looking forward to going to the beach, and wearing a cute bathing suit.

So many more things have changed. My outlook on life is much more positive now.

Edited by HealthyLifeStyle

This one is kinda messed up and I have mixed feelings about it.

Strangers treat you better. :(

Isn't that sad? But it's true.

Men hold the door, say hello, run over to help you do things.

I was loading giant bricks of bottled Water into my car trunk the other day and some random dude jogged over and asked to help. Same dude would have NEVER helped me when I weighed 270...and when I was 270 I needed the help a hell of a lot more than I do now. But there he was...Mr. White Knight, slaying my Ice Mountain Spring Water, talking to my boobs. LOL. You really do forget that crap like that used to happen....until it happens again and it strikes you as ridiculous.

Medical staff do listen better.

Customer service is better if you have a question or need something anywhere you go.

It says something very icky about the world....when being just a little more attractive....gives you agency and priority.

Bleh! But on a happier note!

I love being able to try on tall boots and zipping them right up without having to look for "wide calf"

Being able to sit in booths in restaurants without squishing myself in there with a shoe horn. Oh, and being able to get out of them helps, too. LOL

Here's a weird one. I take a certain pleasure in throwing half my meal away. This probably sounds awful, too, (because it's wasteful and I do try to take leftovers home when possible) but there's a freedom in it. There's a freedom in honestly not feeling obligated to order fries because I'm stopping at McDonald's. LOL. Who knew you could just order coffee and be happy with that? I like feeling like I control food and not the other way around. That's an amazing feeling. Like that first time I found one of my husband's candy bars...and instead of eating it secretly in the bathroom, I put it on a plate, sliced it up into a million little slices, had a couple, and left most of it on the counter....and actually felt good about that. Like, that felt normal...my new normal. That's a great feeling. No denial. No binge. Just....I'm gonna have a bite or two and leave it because I can and I want to. That's new...and it's freedom.

Another odd one. Feeling like I deserve pretty underwear. Never wanted to be seen naked or near naked...so bought cheapo ugly utilitarian undewear. Now, I get a certain twisted pleasure out of getting the super pretty more expensive stuff...cause even though my body isn't remotely without flaws or extra skin or scars and stuff...I feel like it's not that bad. I want the jewel tone pretty stuff now. My underwear drawer cracks me up and makes me feel weirdly pretty. Some very cool stuff in there!

Being able to shave my legs and trim and paint my toenails effortlessly.

NO MORE HEMORRHOIDS! Woohoo!!!! Things are looking (and feeling) brand new in that particular area. TMI, I know...but it's a truly wonderful thing to have fixed:)

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

People can say all they want that "fat" people aren't discriminated against.... but we all know that's a bunch of bull cr*p......

The worst being "this is no discrimination because fat people can lose weight".

Bruh, that's like saying "If you feel discriminated because of your religion you can convert to another one"...

Edited by summerset

I'm becoming more and more comfortable in my skin

I can bend over and tie my shoes.

My reflection in a mirror isn't shocking in a bad way anymore.

Clothes are fitting better and better.

Pecker is back.

I'm lifting weights again

I fit my motorcycle better.

I feel pretty damn good.