Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating everything before pre op diet

Hey Y’all! My pre op diet is about to start soon ( pretty much nothing but liquids ) and everything in me wants to eat ALL THEE ABOVE NOW lol before it starts. Anyone else feeling like this. Kinda like this might be my last time eating it so what the hell! Lol

Edited by JustJazzy

it won't be the last time eating it. Yes - you won't be eating it for a while - months - but there will come a time when you can eat pretty much everything again. Just not in huge quantities (well, unless you want to regain the weight you lost - yikes!).

I thought about doing one of those "food funerals" before my pre-op diet, but I didn't do it. I'd lost 57 lbs before my surgery and was pretty proud of that and was gung-ho to have the surgery and keep losing. We did go out to dinner a couple of times that week before the pre-op diet to some of my favorite places, but I didn't make a pig of myself - so I kind of did a semi-food funeral...

23 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

it won't be the last time eating it. Yes - you won't be eating it for a while - months - but there will come a time when you can eat pretty much everything again. Just not in huge quantities (well, unless you want to regain the weight you lost - yikes!).

I thought about doing one of those "food funerals" before my pre-op diet, but I didn't do it. I'd lost 57 lbs before my surgery and was pretty proud of that and was gung-ho to have the surgery and keep losing. We did go out to dinner a couple of times that week before the pre-op diet to some of my favorite places, but I didn't make a pig of myself - so I kind of did a semi-food funeral...

57lbs Go You! wow! That’s alone just gave me motivation to not go crazy. Thank You. I’m going follow suit and have my favorite meal the day before pre op diet starts.

I had food funerals for about two weeks before my pre-op diet. It was ridiculous and I am not proud of doing that, but I did. 🤷‍♀️ Now that I am at goal I realize how silly it was, because I can eat just about everything now, just in much smaller quantities.😊

My wife and I did a few last meals before our surgeries. When we scheduled our surgery we only had 2 days before to eat whatever we wanted before we started our Preop diet. We ate responsibly and didn't over eat at that time. Our last meal was sushi and we did enjoy it. We are working on eating only foods that are an 8/10 for us and that has helped us so far on our journey.

This can be a bit of a controversial topic, and there are lots of people who say, "Don't do food funerals! You need to start your healthy lifestyle now!" And yeah, sure, it would be best for you not to go and binge on unhealthy foods now or ever again, but my personal feeling is that there can be room for food funerals.

I lost about 70 pounds in the 5 months before my surgery by intermittent fasting and tracking everything in MyFitnessPal. I had a calorie limit in MyFitnessPal and I stayed under it every day, and I challenged myself to keep decreasing my calories (mostly by changing my food choices to lower-calorie foods). When I was approaching my pre-op diet, I had that desire to eat my favorite things one last time. I did, and I'm not sorry -- but I think the important thing is that I did it within limits.

I made a list of all the things I wanted to eat "one last time" before surgery and planned it out day by day, but I stayed within my calorie limit every single day. Some days, that meant fasting all day so I could have one big dinner. I got a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory and I had to split it between two days. I feel like my approach was a good compromise, where I got some closure on all those foods I can no longer eat, but I didn't go completely off the rails and gain back the weight I had worked so hard to lose. It still kind of bothers me that I never had a chance to eat one last doughnut!

And yes, it's true that you will eventually be able to eat unhealthy foods again, but first of all, there are things you may not be able to eat again at all without getting sick, and secondly, I didn't want to go into this counting down the days until I could have pizza again. And after surgery, there's really not much room for unhealthy foods -- if you fill up on two bites of cheesecake, you're not going to have room for the Protein you need. My last two meals before surgery were pizza from my favorite pizza place (these were both "fast all day and eat half a pizza and cheesy bread for dinner" days) and I ate it with the thought that it could be the last time. I am 7 months post-op now, and based on what I've read here, I could probably eat a few bites of pizza and be ok, but you know what? I don't need to. If I'm really craving pizza, I put a little marinara sauce, cheese, and turkey pepperoni on a 1-net-carb tortilla and I'm satisfied with that.

I ate just about everything I could get my hands on before the surgery. I didn't have to lose any weight because I was 216lbs. The docs actually told me not to lose any weight. I had the surgery because I was diabetic. Now that I am 6 months out, I can't/don't want to eat any of those foods. I know they will make me sick. I actually don't miss them. I thought I missed/craved Pasta, but have tried alternatives that are better for me, and I am able to enjoy them.