Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

18 hours away...and here come the nerves

My surgery is tomorrow afternoon. I was feeling pretty good, but now it's night time and my nervousness is rising. Any words of reassurance and wisdom from those who are on the other side would be welcome!

1 hour ago, Nicossa said:

My surgery is tomorrow afternoon. I was feeling pretty good, but now it's night time and my nervousness is rising. Any words of reassurance and wisdom from those who are on the other side would be welcome!

Ahhhh. Congratulations!! You can so do it!! I didn’t sleep a wink the night before my surgery, and I had a 3.5 hour drive the next morning for my 7 o’clock sx! It’s so worth it!! I’m 2 weeks out and I feel AMAZING. Today I lifted a 20 lb bag of dog food instinctively, and ended up on the couch for the rest of the day (13 days out). But I got my fluids in and some liquid Tylenol end I feel so much better.

The best advice I can give you is to get up and walk the halls as soon as your nurses give you clearance. It helps disperse the gas in a major way. The gas pain is worse than the actual procedure!!! I wasn’t allowed out of bed for 48 hours; but as soon as I was able to get up it was almost an immediate difference!!!

You might (not everyone is, but I just wanted to share with you just incase cause I wish someone would have told me) be swollen after surgery and it maybe hard to get fluids down the first couple days! Don’t get discouraged! Experiment with temperatures, different types of liquids and SF flavor additives (preferably with electrolytes) until you find something that sits well with you. At the beginning take BABY sips. By Monday (day 9) I was able to drink 2-3 sips at a time til restriction hit, without feeling like I was drowning and that’s when I knew the swelling had gone down!!! I will say a prayer (I really hope that’s okay and not insulting, if not I’ll just send you very good thoughts) that you don’t swell up too much and you’re able to tolerate your fluids super soon!!

If you need anything from a 2 week out surgery buddy (I’m 2 weeks out, but bc of being in the hospital so long I’m really on week 1), please contact me! I may not know about the months post op stuff, but I’m right here with you in the immediate aftermath!!

Also, vets such as @catwoman7 @Jaelzion @JMJames92 @ms.sss @Arabesqueeven though not all have had the same surgeries have been a wealth of knowledge to me, I would highly highly suggest reading their posts, advice, tips, and tricks even on older threads. They’ve been a godsend, encouragement, and a stranger support system from afar that I never knew I would need and benefit so much from.

Goodluck, stay positive, and please reach out if you need anything!! Please update on how you’re doing in a few days!!!

Edited by BayouTiger
fat fingers (hopefully not for long!)

1 hour ago, BayouTiger said:

Goodluck, stay positive, and please reach out if you need anything!! Please update on how you’re doing in a few days!!!

thank you for the advice and encouragement. 💖

I’m on my way to the hospital now. Excited and anxious but I slept like a rock. I think it was the nerves all day yesterday. Best of luck. Would
Love to compare notes.

I had a 3 pm surgery. It was cruel and unusual. Lol. You got this.

5 hours ago, bufbills said:

I had a 3 pm surgery. It was cruel and unusual. Lol.

right? it's 9:30 am and already I sure would like a sip of Water.

Oh my! 3pm is late. I had to be at the hospital at7:30 am. After all the prep stuff, I went into surgery At about 10:15 am. So far all is good. The 5 laparoscopic holes don’t even have bandages. Feeling ok so far. Pain is mostly on the left side. Not much gas yet but I feel like liquids get stuck and it’s hard to feel them gong all the way down to my stomach. Ice chips and Jello in very small amounts are good. Been walking 1000 steps when I get up. Hope everyone else of doing ok.

1 hour ago, LisaZar said:

Oh my! 3pm is late. I had to be at the hospital at7:30 am. After all the prep stuff, I went into surgery At about 10:15 am. So far all is good. The 5 laparoscopic holes don’t even have bandages. Feeling ok so far. Pain is mostly on the left side. Not much gas yet but I feel like liquids get stuck and it’s hard to feel them gong all the way down to my stomach. Ice chips and Jello in very small amounts are good. Been walking 1000 steps when I get up. Hope everyone else of doing ok.

Keep walking. It helps the healing process and with gas. Sounds like you're doing well.