Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain after DS

Had DS urgery april 2018 .. lost a lot of weight . and well since covid hit I gained almost 20 lbs back in a year i cant believe this happened. what do i do? I am making appointment with surgeon ASAP. I have no idea on how to lose this again and fast! Im sorry I let this happen. 20 lbs is a lot!!!!!

it's a lot, but it's definitely do-able. It's way better than having to lose 50 lbs! Rein yourself in now before it gets out of control. Good for you for making an appt with the surgeon. I'm sure they'll tell you to get back on the plan and start tracking your food again. To be honest, I still have to do it every day at six years out. I went on vacation for a month last year, and although I wasn't eating like a pig, I wasn't tracking my food and I didn't have access to a scale. I came back a few lbs heavier than when I left. I now know that I have to monitor myself closely every freaking day...

56 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

Thanks catwoman7! I am going to lose this and im taking control now! thanks for the words of encouragement ! I sure hope they get me back on track at the surgeons office! I just didnt think I would gain especially after these past few years ive never ever gained before since surgery. ughhhh

@Glamgirl If you're a traditional DSer, the best thing to do is eat lots of Protein, low carbs and fluids. That should get your weight going in the right direction.

Edited by Postop

12 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Thanks Postop!! yes im a DSr! and I will do that! Those points are important that you mentioned! I feel like Ive failed myself... I feel like im starting over. ughhh.. but this 20 lbs is not going to get me. Ive got to lose this!!! once this 20 is gone then I can work to lose more after that. Im just so upset about the 20 additional . Ive never gained in all this time since surgery, probably doesnt help that im starting menopause... ughhh Im wondering if I will lose this fast since im a DSr if I stick to a strict plan? what do you all think?

@GlamgirlYou haven't failed yourself. You've just had a small setback. The beauty of the DS is you can still eat and eat and lose weight. Eat steak, burgers, nuts, cold cuts, cheeses...don't deny yourself.

Thanks Postop! I really appreciate your words of encouragement ! Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Yep, had DS in 2018 - I think a good quality one too, and gained about the same amount over 2020-early 2021.

I know exactly why too. Too many simple carbs (breads/sugars, chocolate and candy), processed convenience junk foods, liquid calories (sugary coffees, lots). Also lack of exercise/activity due to staying home, as well as being placed on a prescription known to cause weight gain contributed to the regain.

I simply got over-confident after a few years living with the surgery.

Simple refined carbs are our surgery's achilles heel. We do not 'malabsorb' simple carbs, we absorb them 100%. Simple carbs, for me anyway, tend to be slider foods - breads, pizza, sweets/candies/donuts/pastries, and of course liquids like 800 calorie Starbucks don't spend long in the sleeve. Those two issues spell trouble for us, at least they have for me.

Good news is once I eliminated the junk foods, simple carbs - and switched to a high-protein, low - carb diet, the weight has been melting off. I was concerned that losing regain would be difficult after the initial massive weight-loss after the surgery, but that has not been the case.

I can accurately report that I've lost about 14 pounds in the last ~28 days. I have been calorie restricting in addition to the low-carb/high-protein diet, but the sleeve component of the surgery has made that rather painless, and I'm not starving at all.

Just get back to basics and I think you'll do fine.

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.37.10 AM.png

Edited by _Shane_
grammar and in-line image attached.