Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goal weight achieved, but now, how do I eat healthy? Need tips please!

So, I've reached and actually far surpassed my goal weight, and I'm ecstatic about that! However, I am ashamed to confess that, to put it bluntly, my diet SUCKS. I don't even know when it started to, probably over the 2020 holidays if I had to guess. I've continued to lose weight since then, and that's probably why I haven't felt compelled to make healthy changes to my diet. But believe me, I know how wrong that is. I just haven't wanted to face it head on until now.

The fact is, I know that reaching goal weight is NOT the end of the journey. It's just starting, in fact. I exercise daily, and that's great, but my eating habits are pure garbage. It's hard to admit this. I'm deeply ashamed of it. To have gotten the privilege of having bariatric surgery, and to, due to that privilege, reach the accomplishment of my weight loss goal, only to treat my body like a garbage can, is a huge disservice to myself and to the golden opportunity I was given. :(

Here's the thing: I don't know where to start. During my weight loss phase I had that down pat, I kept it very simple, which is part of why I don't know what to do with myself now. Being in maintenance, I'm at the point where I don't even know, what do I eat? I do not want to focus on calorie counting anymore (at this point, at least), for personal reasons - I just want to eat healthily. I want to give my body the nutrition it deserves.

But what does that look like at goal weight? Does anyone have any advice or resources I could use to help me with this? I don't mean a calorie counter type thing, I mean more like a basic "these are the foods you should eat" type thing, with ideas for Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Snacks. I don't know where to start - I'm embarrassed about that but not so embarrassed as to not ask for help when I need it...and I really do need it.

If anyone has any ideas or tips to get me started on how to eat healthy at maintenance, I'd be so grateful, thanks in advance! :)

I have not experienced this as I am still pre-surgery. However, I have heard people talk about a "pouch reset" diet when they've gained weight. I know you haven't gained, but maybe this will help you get back into your good habits.

https://store.bariatricpal.com/pages/pouch-reset-plan

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out! :)

Your question is so broad that it's hard to answer. There are a million different philosophies about what humans should eat to be healthy. Some people will tell you a plant-based diet is healthiest. Others prefer paleo. A lot of doctors promote the Mediterranean style diet as the healthiest (which the mayo Clinic describes as "While there is no single definition of the Mediterranean diet, it is typically high in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, Beans, nut and seeds, and olive oil." Most of us probably would benefit from limiting intake of processed foods and junk food.

Different bodies react differently, so it may be a matter of trial and error to see what kind of regular diet agrees with you. Personally, I do best with moderately controlled carbs (with very few of the refined, white variety). I'm also a carnivore who needs at least a little meat in my diet. I eat fruit regularly, but I can't overdo it as the sugar in fruit starts to affect me just like the sugar in a candy bar. So I pretty much eat meat, dairy, eggs, veggies, a moderate amount of fruit, nuts, and various kinds of fats. But that's what MY body likes. Your body may prefer vegan or something else entirely. It's really a matter of trying different approaches and seeing what works best. Good luck!

Idk if you’re still struggling with this but you should definitely see a nutritionist. This is literally what they do and I think it would really help you get an idea of what healthy eating looks like for you individually. Good luck!

No pouch reset for you.... only do that when you gaining too much weight... and even then, talk to your nutritionist first!

Sounds like you need to visit a nutritionist ASAP. They are wonderful and they can guide you in what you should be doing. What is best for one isn't always best for all.

What should you be eating??? Protein and Water, first and foremost. Meeting your protein goals? Then add in healthy veggies. And when OK with your nutritionist, you can add fruit too... but be mindful as to how that is affecting you. You may need to start with lower sugar fruits first. Carbs? You don't need very many of those. They come last. And talk to your nutritionist about what your nutrient goals for protein, fats and carbs are... so you can make mindful choices. And talk to the nutritionist about what carbs YOU should be eating. My main carbs are whole grain crackers and low carb tortillas. These were recommended by my nutritionist for me. What shouldn't I be eating? RICE! And breads. And Pasta. Rice is the biggest no no because it expands in your stomach. bread does too. If I do eat a tiny bit of either.. my stomach hurts afterwards. And of course avoid empty calorie food. I have an occasional sweet, but I tend to pick ones that won't send me down a slippery slope.

And measure and track your food! Your nutritionist can help much more if you know exactly what you are eating. Learn portion sizes for bariatric patients. And be sure to eat in the frequencies that the nutritionist recommends. For me that is 3 small meals and 3 small Snacks a day... every 2-3 hours. I don't always get all 3 snacks in, but I do my best!

I will add... I did awesome for the first year and a few months beyond.. but my work life has been more hectic than I could have ever imagined... so I ended up sliding a bit. Even ended up gaining a little weight... but once I saw the scale was moving in the wrong direction... I am getting back to the basics too... which for me is what I described to you. I am determined to never see the scale move more than a few pounds in the wrong direction... so I am nipping it in the bud now!

Edited by momof3_angels

I agree 100% with @Jaelzion Once you are past the specific restrictions faze, you have to learn what works best for your body to stay in a healthy weight. There are weight maintainers here who swear by Keto and others who do vegan or Mediterranean. It's the same for people who never had WLS. The truth is that there are ZERO randomized controlled long term studies on nutrition because we can't control what humans eat in the wild, and most humans are not willing to live in a cage for a few years. I can't imagine why.

So we don't know what is the "best" healthy diet; we can only guess. In the absence of good science, we have warring factions of "experts" who will sell your their diet books.

Talk to a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric patients, but also think about what foods make you and your new stomach happy. Are you a true carnivore? Probably a traditional mediterranean diet won't work for you (also true if grains don't sit well with your new stomach!). Maybe try low carb! Do fatty foods now upset your tummy? Maybe don't do keto!

Some nutritionists will tell you that artificial sweeteners are the worst thing in the world but honestly, there is no good evidence of that. Most of the limited studies have serious methodological flaws (I studied research methodology as an undergrad and I can pick apart almost any study). Newer research shows that they're basically weight neutral. Maybe you don't want to use them anyway, Fine, but if you're the type of person who needs a sweet treat, consider them an option.