Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get a Lap-Band?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I get a Lap-Band?

First, let me tell you all a little about me. My surgery date is set for the 31st (New Years Resolution to the Max eh?) I'm set for the surgery. All my requirements are done. My insurance is covering the costs so I'm set there too. The problem is...I'm not sure I want to go thru with it. I'm 26 years old, 5'11", and weigh 285. I'm on a pre-op diet to reduce my liver fat (I was at 302 lbs 12 days ago).

I'm not getting the lap band to make me thin. I wanted it originally to prevent any heart disease in the future. My problem is that I'm allergic to vegetables, fruit, nuts, shellfish. Going on a diet can be difficult with those limits.

Well, during the diet stage, I found out 2 things about my body. 1, if I take an allergy pill (Clarinex) before I eat a salad, I don't get a reaction (used to close my throat and cause major MAJOR pain). I also found out that if I use a steamer, it destroys whatever it is I have a reaction to. I'm eating healthy for the first time in my life and wondering if I really need a Lap-Band. I'm sure some of this comes from being nervous about the whole thing, but I honestly don't know what to do.

I don't have a problem with the way I look / feel. I think that certain foods can be good for the spirit when you need a pick-me-up.

I'm asking you as a comunity if I should go ahead with the surgery.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

First, let me tell you all a little about me. My surgery date is set for the 31st (New Years Resolution to the Max eh?) I'm set for the surgery. All my requirements are done. My insurance is covering the costs so I'm set there too. The problem is...I'm not sure I want to go thru with it. I'm 26 years old, 5'11", and weigh 285. I'm on a pre-op diet to reduce my liver fat (I was at 302 lbs 12 days ago).

I'm not getting the lap band to make me thin. I wanted it originally to prevent any heart disease in the future. My problem is that I'm allergic to vegetables, fruit, nuts, shellfish. Going on a diet can be difficult with those limits.

Well, during the diet stage, I found out 2 things about my body. 1, if I take an allergy pill (Clarinex) before I eat a salad, I don't get a reaction (used to close my throat and cause major MAJOR pain). I also found out that if I use a steamer, it destroys whatever it is I have a reaction to. I'm eating healthy for the first time in my life and wondering if I really need a Lap-Band. I'm sure some of this comes from being nervous about the whole thing, but I honestly don't know what to do.

I don't have a problem with the way I look / feel. I think that certain foods can be good for the spirit when you need a pick-me-up.

I'm asking you as a comunity if I should go ahead with the surgery.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

Justin - The band does not prevent heart disease. You can still eat high fat - high colestoral (sp) foods with the band. The band only controls your portion size when you are at correct restriction - which can take awhile.

The band is only a tool and not the magic cure to our food issues - The tool is used with a healthy eating plan and exercise which will result in weight loss - If you had control before then why where you looking into the band I am guessing that you didn't have control over the amount of food you ate before due to your weight (285) I am not trying to be mean here just stating a fact.

Even with the band if you choose to eat around it (wrong types of food) you will not loose or/& gain it all back - this is a lifetime lifestyle change.

You can eat all the salad & veggies in the world - but if you keep eating sweets & high fat foods you aren't going to loose weight..

If you have never tried eating healthy in your life prior to being banded why did you think the band was going to help you...

I am a tad confused as most of us here have been over weight most of our lives and have problems with Portion Control - I find that my band is my interior motivator - I eat healthy 98% of the time I exercise 4 to 5 times a week - I want to extend my life.. The majority of people here were banded to extend their lives - and of course we do like looking alot better - but mostly it's for health reasons.

I think you are in a bit of denial - but that's ok - the 1st step in recovery is admitting that you have a problem - You see most of us are addicted to food - it's our drug of choice and I would guess you are too

There was a guy out there who went on the McDonald diet and lost weight - so it's not always about what you eat - it's the amount of calories that you eat...

Justin - read all you can before you have surgery to really understand what being banded is -- this site is wonderfull and full of info.

I love my band and would do it all over again....

It is of course a personal decision, but you said you wanted to do it for your health. Using the lap band as a tool along w/the new eating habits, could greatly increase your health in the long run. It is not gonna help overnight, it is a long hard journy either way. If Portion Control is an issue for you, the band almost always helps the process. If sweets/snacks are your downfall the band is not always as helpful. Good luck on your journey!

Have you ever lost weight before? Most of us have lost it several times but once the body loses weight, it usually regains the weight, and more, on fewer calories than before. That's what I'm fighting. I can't stay on a 1000-1200 calorie food plan without help. I had no trouble with 1600 calories a day but I couldn't lose weight on that, even though my resting metabolic rate (BMR) is in the mid-2000 range. There are studies that document this fact and they didn't even ask me! :)

If this is your first time to lose weight, you may be one of those who can keep it off and perhaps getting the band is premature. If you've been on the roller coaster, then the band can help with Portion Control and hunger, but it will not help you with making the right choices.

There was a time when I had no trouble losing weight but now I can't even do that. I am no more addicted to food than I am addicted to sleep but, like it or not, my body has become very efficient at storing every morsel I eat as fat!

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you don't do it now, it will still be there if you need it later.

Here is the thing:

I am not sure if I could help you make a decision by voting "yes" or "no". If you are not fully committed to getting the band then I say don't get it. I firmly believe that getting banded is something that you only do if you absolutely sure you want it...because it is forever!

It is more than just about eating fruits, veggies, and shellfish. It is about being willing to give it all you got. It is about exercising. It is about putting nutritional food in your body to maximize your potential. And yes it is about being human...it is not about being on a "diet".

<O:p</O:p

I believe that you can do this, and you probably are just having a case of the "jitters". But if your doubts run deeper then maybe you should re-consider, and keep going on your own path. Surgery isn't the EASY way out, and it takes a lot work, and it is painful. Would I do it again? Hell Yeah!

I didn't vote, because I know that you already know what you are going to do! Good luck.<O:p</O:p

Um, I think if you need us to decide for you, then perhaps you have already answered your own question. You are probably not ready for the band.

It is a personal, lifelong commitment and decision that one needs to make for themselves after doing all the research they can, talking with the appropriate health professionals and examining themselves and their willingness/readiness to commit to the band and the new way of life.

If it helps any we get this same question time and time again. Everyone wonders if they should do it. Everyone wonders if they should just try one more diet. Everyone wonders if it will really work. Everyone doubts their decision. Heck I was ON the OR table thinking, "I'm still awake, it's not too late to back out...."

What you are feeling is very normal.

Ever been on a diet before? Ever lose weight before? How did that work long term?

The band is designed to help us lose weight (which most of us have done before) but the biggest benefit is that it will help us maintain our weight loss (which NONE of us have done before). The band is only a tool, it is still up to us for it to work.

Best of luck to you in making the decision.

Justin - Have you ck'd back and seen everyones replies???

Of course, going thru a lot at the moment. See I have an oppertunity to skip the trial and error in a diet life and go strait for a program that works. But I don't hate how I look or feel, so Im nervous. I'm sure if I got it, a year later I would love it, but the me right now is scared beyond words.

Of course, going thru a lot at the moment. See I have an oppertunity to skip the trial and error in a diet life and go strait for a program that works. But I don't hate how I look or feel, so Im nervous. I'm sure if I got it, a year later I would love it, but the me right now is scared beyond words.

Justin

If you haven't ever tried to change you eating habits before then I would suggest that route first - IMHO the lap band is like a last resort when all other methods have failed. It's not the magic cure to our food issues - and i just am getting a vibe that you aren't ready. I wasn't scare beyond words but I am twice your age.. You are still young and maybe 304 and 6'1 you feel good - but the damage you are doing to your body is bad... You are overweight and need to get ahold of that problem now - not in 30 yrs like a lot of us here.. We didn't have the benefit of this surgery when we were your age - all we had were diet pills and found they don't work in the long run...

My best to you on this journey - read all you can and ask tons of questions - It will all work out as it should in the end....