Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories, diabetes, and a clueless doc

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post-op and a follow-up with the bariatric team. Purees are coming!

Today I saw my GP about my glucose and BP. She confirmed no more diabetes meds (YAY!!!!!) but then she said something odd. She noted that my numbers are excellent on this full liquid diet, but we'd see how I do when my diet "progresses." Now, she's young and clearly still developing her bedside manner (she's awkward) but she insinuated that my diabetes would probably come back and I'd have to go back on meds once I'm on solid food. I guess I thought most docs (even GPs) would know that bariatric surgery has a high likelihood of "curing" diabetes immediately post-op, especially as our weight goes down. Mine was mild to begin with and almost controlled through diet alone. I kinda feel like she threw a bucket of cold Water on me. (Getting rid of diabetes was one of my top reasons for surgery.)

ANYWAY, I told her I'm consuming about 400-ish calories per day on the FL diet. And I know (I KNOW, I KNOW) we're supposed to concentrate on water and Protein at this point, but I'm curious what everyone else's average per day is. Eventually I think we top out around 600-800 with 1,000-1,200 max, but anyone else willing to share where they are in the beginning stages?

I think you are correct re the diabetes information. I would guess your numbers may increase some as you have some carbs once you are months out but I would guess not to the point of going back on meds.

I was at 300-400 calories the first month and worked up to 500-600 and stayed at that level until month 6. Then I was only 10 pounds form my goal and worried about losing too quickly (I know that sounds insane right!!) so I purposely increased calories about 100/week to hit around 1000.

I worked up towards 1200-1400 around the 10 month mark and now at almost 2 years am around 1500/1600 to maintain. Honestly that seems a little high compared to what others on here say but it keeps me at my comfortable weight. According to the BMi chart I could lose another 10 pounds but I feel like it would make me look too thin and bony ( also crazy to think that would ever be a thought re. my body).

If I see my weight trending up 2-3 then I set a goal of 1200 (but usually log around 1300-1400) and that will get me down those 2 pounds within 1-2 weeks. I do think that wont be as easy in another 6-12 months as I am out of the honeymoon phase so I keep logging food/calories religiously. If I see I am low on Protein its just a matter of fact thinking ok go get a piece of cheese or drink a glass of milk vs old me would get crackers or chips at the end of the day.

I seem to stay around 400 cal range. I was prediabetic and taking Metformin before surgery. There is absolutely no way I could take one of those pills now. My bariatric NP told me it's ok to stop them. My blood glucose numbers have been normal range and some lows I haven't seem in a while.

I am about three months post VSG and the last three weeks I have been really trying hard to get to 600 to 800 calories. I was stalling out at 500 and 600 calories at two months after I started working out regularly so I bumped up my caloric intake (per dietitian) and it worked so I stuck with it. I too was type 2 diabetic and no longer on any medication and my A1C just came back at 6.2, my TSH is a little chaotic right now but we are working on it !