Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone in Florida???

I had my surgery with Dr Jawad, same group as Dr T. Is there anything I can help you with?

I went to the info meeting in May, had my first visit with the surgeon early June. When I went to that appointment I scheduled everything I needed to complete...3 "supervised" diet visits with the Nurse Practitioner, visit with the Dietition and the Psych eval. I completed everything by Aug. It took about a month for approval from insurance, doc was on vacation in Sept so I had surgery in Oct. Everything went very smoothly. I was only in the hospital overnight.

Hello! I am in Gainesville, Fl. having surgery (hopefully) at UF Health Shands Hospital.

I had my consult with the surgeon(Dr. Mann) Feb, 1st and have completed everything on my check list for insurance approval except my psyche consult which I have an appointment March 29th. When I went to preop for my required EGD they drew my blood for all the required labs. I was not expecting to have those labs drawn that day. I am not a heavy drinker, but I do drink moderately every other week or so. I have stopped drinking and was planning on getting those labs drawn a little close to the end of my check list to give my body time to eliminate the alcohol. So, of course I tested positive for alcohol and now the surgery coordinator is saying the bariatric team is reviewing those results, but not giving me any further information. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Could I be denied all together for having the surgery or will they delay submitting for insurance approval? I am anxious because they just handed me a booklet with a list and said go do everything on this list then call us when it is all done, but they never said stop drinking that day or gave me any real direction.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

I did mine at UF when you went in did you tell them you didn't drink? Also once you have the surgery you are going to have not drink period your body will be limited and you can't have what room you have taken up by something that will give you nothing in nutritional value. I can't say what they will or won't do but if they make you wait and do another blood my suggestion is to work on the no drinking period. If you continue to have alcohol show up they can refuse to do the surgery. Not because they don't understand but because they don't want you to fail and hurt yourself.

1 hour ago, Sandramarie1986 said:

I did mine at UF when you went in did you tell them you didn't drink? Also once you have the surgery you are going to have not drink period your body will be limited and you can't have what room you have taken up by something that will give you nothing in nutritional value. I can't say what they will or won't do but if they make you wait and do another blood my suggestion is to work on the no drinking period. If you continue to have alcohol show up they can refuse to do the surgery. Not because they don't understand but because they don't want you to fail and hurt yourself.

Awe, Hello, Sandra! So nice to see someone close to home on here!

Thank you for the response and you are right, No more drinking after surgery. I have no problem with that at all. I had my last drink (2 glasses of wine) on Valentines day. I did tell them I drank, occasionally, which is the truth. Not sure why I said moderately. I guess, to me, a few glasses of wine every other week is a lot, but I won't miss it.

I couldn't have had that much alcohol in there anyway, so hopefully it will not impact surgery, but if they feel they need to hold off I will understand.

I hope your surgery was successful and you are recovering well. Do you mind if I ask what kind of insurance you have? I have State of Florida BCBS PPO and I am so nervous about when they file for approval. I have been trying to get this surgery for years, but just recently got insurance that will cover it.

I have state of Florida Avmed. My surgery has gone well so far sorry I'm just getting back to you its been hectic this month.

Hi! I’m in the pre-op process with Dr Jawad in Orlando. I have had the info session, 1st appt with Dr Jawad, lab work, psych eval, nutrition class, EGD, cardiac clearance with ECG and Echocardiogram. My 2nd appointment with Dr Jawad is next Monday 3/29 and hoping they get the insurance approval QUICKLY! I started making the “two weeks prior to surgery” diet changes they recommended “just in case” so I’m ready!

Dr Texeira and Dr Jawad did my friend’s duodenal switch in 2019 and she has done wonderfully well!

Hello!!! I'm currently pre-op with Dr. Jawad. I started my initial consultation on 2/5 and my surgery was scheduled today for 5/28. My process went fast and smooth also quick approval with my insurance Cigna.

Edited by Neo79pr