Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any teachers out there?

Hello everyone! I am a high school teacher and am scheduled to have the sleeve my first day of spring break. I also took off the week following that. I understand that everyone heals and recovers differently and in their own time, however, I am wondering how quickly some of you were able to return to work (if your job isn’t too physically straining)?

I work in healthcare and am planning on taking 2 weeks off after my GB. My surgeon said the big thing is not to lift anything more than 15 pounds (gallon of milk) for the first 4 weeks. Fortunately, my coworkers are all aware of this and have volunteered to move patients if they need an assist. I am concerned about fatigue afterwards but can take a nap during my 15 minute break if need be.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I took three weeks off but probably could have gone back after two. I was a university librarian at the time (have since retired), so it was mostly a desk job. I did teach classes occasionally (teaching students how to do research and use the databases), but I was only on my feet for an hour at a pop when I did that - not sure how it would be for a high school teacher if you're on your feet most of the day.

I’m a JH librarian and my surgery is March 3rd so I’m taking the rest of that week and the next off. The week after that is spring break so I’m doing your plan in reverse.

I'm a college professor. I was physically fine but in a brain fog for 2 weeks after surgery. I definitely wouldn't have had the mental capacity to teach at that time.

I’m a Pre-K teacher. I had gastric bypass surgery on Dec 23, the last day of school before winter break. I just returned to work on January 25. Timing was perfect since I would have had two weeks off anyway. I made the right choice by taking off an additional two weeks. I tend to feel a bit tired at times probably due to the restricted food intake. It did give me a chance to rest and prepare mentally and physically to return to work. I honestly felt and looked refreshed! I was cleared by my surgeon pretty early to do cardio and light weights so I did use my elliptical, recumbent bike and weights at home. It also helped that I was able to try foods at home to see what I could tolerate. I would definitely recommend taking off at least three weeks if possible.

Thank you for all your replies! I am a little worried about the mental fog, fatigue, and emotional stress. I do have additional PTO, but I hate taking time off work.

I took off four days for the surgery, one night in the hospital, and a few days recovery. I went right back to work (I sit at a desk in my basement and talk over Microsoft Teams right now), mainly because I didn't want there to be any questions about why I was taking time off. In hindsight, I wish I had taken a little more time to rest because I was super tired for a week or so and it was really tough to focus during that time. I did it, but I'm not sure how effective I was.

Edited by billho

I teach at a middle school. I had surgery on February 9th planning to take tues through Friday that week off completely and then teach remotely the following week. I was going to return 2 weeks after surgery. I knew in that second week that wasn’t going to happen. Everybody heals at different paces and I ended up back in ER due to increased heart rate, etc. My dr and I decided I needed to wait a month. So I did (am) continue to teach remotely and will go back this week in person- 1 month after surgery. Our in person is a hybrid of teaching online and in person kids at same time like many schools this year during covid. It’s exhausting without healing from surgery let alone after a major abdominal surgery. I am very thankful I did not attempt to go back in person at 2 weeks. I am much more ready at 4 weeks than I was 2 weeks ago.

I teach HS and also plan to get sleeved the Friday before Spring Break. That will give me 9 full days to recover (I'll see where I'm at after that). When I had my lap band, I had surgery on Monday and was back at school teaching on Friday (yes, I kind of regretted that), but like @billho I didn't want people to notice. I had fibbed and said I was getting a hernia repair. I don't know what my fib will be this time, but I don't plan on telling. Some teachers are gossipy and judgemental that I just don't even want to deal with them. Do any of you feel that way? I don't want anyone's pity, and I don't deal well when people are too nice either. Just let me do my thing.

PurvaVida37 I know exactly what you mean. I told 2 of my closest friends at work at that was it. The rest I said I was having a procedure that I had been putting off due to covid and needed to get it taken care of. A couple people pushed further and I said oh just a hiatal hernia but it takes some time to recover. Not a lie - I did have that taken care of too but it isn’t anyone’s business and I agree - people, especially those who don’t know me well, have no clue how hard we’ve all tried before reaching this point. Yes, people are gossipy and judgmental. I am just not looking for peoples opinions or input - just want to do this for me :)

@PuraVida37 and @Cyt thanks for sharing your experiences. I have taken 2 weeks off so far and I will see how I’m feeling at my 1 week post op with my surgeon. Being a high school teacher, it is kind of nice because I can stay stationed in one area of my room and have my kids come to me for stuff or help me pass things out. I have been fibbing to some colleagues as well; I’ve told people I’m having a ulcer removed and they seem to believe it.

I'm a high school science teacher. I had my surgery Monday Feb 8, took off for 2 days and then taught remotely for 2 days. Luckily, I was off the next week for midwinter break because I struggled with remote teaching for those 2 days. The pain medication made me tired and I just really wanted to take more naps. I was fine after 2 weeks BUT have accommodations to teach remotely for the rest of the year. I think I would have needed another week if I had to go in in person.

I’m also a teacher and am having surgery during spring break (sleeve). I am going to be off that week, then work remotely the week after. I will reassess how I feel at that point!