Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you start to feel normal again after surgery?

My gastric sleeve surgery journey has been far from easy. Since having surgery on December 14th , I contracted COVID-19 which made me very sick for a week. At two weeks post op I began to experience chronic nausea and vomiting endlessly day and night. It was so severe to I could not drink anything regardless of its contents or temperature. Simply being awake would evoke a violent episode of vomiting which turned into stomach acid as I was unable to consume liquids. This episode lasted for 2 weeks before I had to go to the hospital as I was deteriorating . I was admitted into the hospital for 7 days and was also diagnosed with acute pancreatitis along with my Covid-19 positive test which confirmed my suspicions early on. I ended up being sent home on a PICC line with TPN for 5 days to gain the strength to eat and drink again.

Currently I am off TPN and have been drinking and eating foods with no issues. However, I still physically feel off . I feel tingly and numb throughout the days. I feel disconnected from everything , not mentally but more so physically. My body just doesn't feel grounded. My head always feels tense. I am not sure what I should do to feel "normal again."

I know its allot to take in information wise , but any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Wow, I’m sorry you are going through this!!! That is awful! To be honest, it’s hard to say what is related purely to your WLS and not the covid and pancreatitis. Throw all that together while recovering from a major surgery, that is a huge deal. I’m glad you are doing better, and hope that you continue to do well. Getting better each day!

Hugs!!!!!

After my sleeve (2014), I also ended up in the hospital for dehydration. I had surgery Nov. 2014 and distinctly remember sitting in my living room in May 2015 feeling like I had no energy, still struggled with vomiting when I ate certain foods and overall felt "skinny" but very tired. In September of that year, I went on a two week vacation, and realized that I felt great! I could eat out, had a ton of energy and my weight loss had leveled out. So somewhere between 6 and 9 months after surgery, I felt like I had finally recuperated from surgery, adjusted to my new stomach and could really do anything I wanted to do.

That also seem to coincide with that "honeymoon" period that you always hear about - that period of rapid weight loss after bariatric surgery. Unfortunately, after the honeymoon, I had to serious watch what I ate so that I didn't start regaining the weight I had lost.

You've had a lot of health issues that have only made your surgery recovery even harder. Hang in there...….you will get better each day!

I'm not sure anyone could answer that, unless they have had the same illnesses you have had. Blimey you've had a hard time. Just the Covid after effects can last month's, so the only suggestion I have is be as nutritous as you can, get your Fluid and Protein levels right, and sleep.

The very best of luck while you heal.
X