Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you handle the "How much have you lost" question?

I lie! LOL!! I don't want them doing the math and figuring how much I used to weigh! I start out vague, "I'm not sure exactly, I haven't weighed myself lately" which is also a huge lie as I weigh myself 10x a day! LOL!! If they really push, I say around 40 or 50, Depends on my mood! ha ha!

I have no problem admitting how much I've lost, Im proud of every little evil pound I lose. Like many of you, I've told very few people outside of my family about the wls. When someone asks me how I lost the weight, I tell them the truth, well partially. I simply say a lot of hard work with assistance of a nutritionist. I think people tend to think wls is taking the easy way out. I'm here to say, and I am sure everyone of you will agree, this is the hardest thing I have ever done.

I have only had those who know I had the surgery (not many folks, and only the family I live with) ask me, and I just go ahead and tell them. I don't get out much though. If anyone else asks, I may say I dunno... that I don't weigh myself (lie). Those I definitely do NOT want to know about the surgery will get the "I am on a medically supervised diet" line, along with an "oh, I think it was about X lbs down at my last appointment."

Hmmm...maybe I'll give my response to other questions that are noneyabizness: "Why would you ask me THAT?" LOL

Once I got over 160-ish lbs years ago, I stopped feeling comfortable admitting my weight (...as i gained up to 235 lbs).

At around 4 months post-op, when people started noticing I was losing weight, I would answer the "how much have you lost" question, but felt slightly embarrassed about it.

As I got further and further away from 235 lbs, that slight embarrassment turned into FULL ON full-of-myself-confidence; so much so that I have been known to pull out a "before" picture of me in my underwear in all my obese glory to prove to them, yes, I was that fat.

BFF waxed philosophical way back and I said that the level of comfort I have to show pics of my bigger self is cuz I no longer identify with big me, so I can look at those pics and not feel bad. I think she's right.

Guess I never minded people asking how much weight have I lost. But I did mind when people would go further with it and say you need to stop losing weight...etc
That’s when I change the subject or say oh I’ve lost everything I wanted to. People have no filter now a days. Returned a breast augmentation bra to Amazon at the Kohl’s store yesterday and the girl said to me “oh you got your breasts done” while I said yes. It occurred to me afterwards that that was super nosy of her and kinda rude to blurt out. People have no filters now a days. I don’t let it bother me much though. The asking about the weight. I’m proud of myself. Be proud of your accomplishment and don’t let anyone take that away from you by making you feel weird. Turn it around and start asking them personal questions maybe?

I just say “quite a bit”. Usually a conversation ender. If they are going to push it I will then compliment something on them “oh I love your ring /shoes/ bag. Get them to focus on themselves or something else. I lost weight to be healthy not to attract attention. Good friends know what I am doing/ have done. If someone asks with concern - as in are you alright you have lost so much weight - I smile and thank them for noticing and admire their ring/shoes....

I used to get that all the time I would tell them I lost half a person. But I had my surgery so long ago I don’t get asked anymore

Easy...i don’t answer it lol. I would never ask someone how much they gained right lol, so i just don’t talk about my weight at all with anyone. It’s weird to me.