Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

College Student - Gastric Bypass during semester?

Hi,

I've been preparing to have laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery for a few months now. My plan has been to go to school part time (only taking two classes; Linear Algebra and Data Structures) this coming spring semester (starting in a couple weeks) , and have the surgery during the semester, probably in February. With Covid-19, being in school after the surgery won't require much physical activity on my part; just sitting in my apartment at a computer desk, writing math problems or doing work on a computer. But it occurred to me recently that I really have no idea how I'm going to feel after the surgery. If I'm always going to be tired and unable to focus, that could be a problem, because I can't just not study and do homework for two weeks straight. Would any of you be able to tell me how you felt after your surgeries? Do you think you could handle beginning to study at home again a few days after surgery?

Thanks,

Dan

I think you will be fine! The biggest issue is fatigue, but you should be able to find a little time each day to take a nap to recharge your batteries!!

I did it during grad school.

I thought I’d be able to zoom into one of my classes the day of surgery, though... and, uh... that didn’t happen. I ended up with a lot of nausea and vomiting and they knocked me out for several hours.

I didn’t have any trouble academically as a result, though.

I just had my bypass last Tuesday and honestly I think you'll be ok. Yes, there is more fatigue, but you only sleep constantly for the first few days. You still sleep more (or at least I do) thereafter, but I'm up and able to focus etc. Your mileage will vary of course. Good luck!

I worked remote prior to the "pandemic" breaking out. I had surgery on a Thursday. Was out of the hospital on Saturday. Took the next week off and returned to work on the following Monday. I was tired all the time and went to bed about 8 pm every day for a couple of weeks. I think you shouldn't have much of a problem with your plans. Good luck!

I did mine during grad school also. Thankfully though I’ve been on break. I think if I didn’t have kids, I would have only needed a couple days and could lay/sit in the bed and do homework/class. Especially since grad school is like 3944782 papers and 4848272 discussion boards. Lol.

Are you able to work ahead at all? I just had my surgery between semesters and can't imagine having to do school work in the first week postop. Give yourself a week to be safe.

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks so much for all the helpful feed. It's given me some more to think about. Working ahead could be a possibility, at least in one of the classes. We shall see. I could also do it over Spring Break in March. It's later than I want, but wouldn't be the worst idea.