Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2021 bypassers?

Just joined this site. I was scheduled for March 3 after covid knocked out all of last year’s dates. Postponed a handful of times. Imagine my complete shock when February 1 I got called and they said I was getting in February 9. I’m now post bypass and I feel good for most part. Still have some problems getting enough Protein but best decision I made for my long term health. Good luck every one❤️

Hi everyone! I’m a bit late to the party!! I had my surgery on Feb. 25th. I’m feeling pretty good overall, will be on Clear Liquids for a week, had no preop diet 🤷🏼‍♀️. Didn’t know that was a thing some surgeons did! How is everyone feeling?

Hello everyone,

Quick update! Had my Bypass on 2/8 and unfortunately I am headed back to the OR on 3/2. I have been sick since the surgery and it appears my gallbladder is the issue. It has to come out! My doc says is not unusual for this to happen but it does not happen often. Lucky me I guess. Lol! Well I am hoping that after this I can continue with my recovery and not have any issues other than the usual. Good luck everyone!

2 hours ago, Tink22 said:

Hello everyone,

Quick update! Had my Bypass on 2/8 and unfortunately I am headed back to the OR on 3/2. I have been sick since the surgery and it appears my gallbladder is the issue. It has to come out! My doc says is not unusual for this to happen but it does not happen often. Lucky me I guess. Lol! Well I am hoping that after this I can continue with my recovery and not have any issues other than the usual. Good luck everyone!

Oh I am sorry to hear that! Good luck and feel better soon!

My surgery was on tuesday feb 23rd. Im now 5 days out. I lost 10lbs in 3 days including the surgery day, in the preop stage and since the doctor told me not to weigh myself, I dont know how much I weigh now, but I will say this, I lost inches in my thighs and my neck looks like a dayum emu, ostrich, or seagull! lol! All I know when I go to the mirror my face is looking slimmer my neck is getting longer and my ta's ta's are starting to look like a national geographic native! lol I knew this would happen from the first surgery I had 9 years ago. Good luck to all of the February and future sleevers/bypass revison family the best in your surgery and future endeavors, as right after surgery will be the 1st day of a new start to set life goals and eating lifestyles until our demise.

Edited by tabrielle10

Think 22 I hope everything goes well.

I had surgery 1/28. I had a stall last week and a half as I transitioned in the diet stages to regular foods. Body has to adjust to all that new food after 2 months of Protein Shakes I guess. Luckily yesterday and today I dropped a few pounds. Notes in other posts on upping Water and Protein intake helped alot. Good luck to all of you and there is light at the end of the liquid diet tunnel.

Little update! I'm on week 2 and doing full liquids. I'm down 24 pounds altogether, 7 of which are post-op. However, I noticed within the last couple of days that the weightloss has stalled and I've been hovering between 286-287. I've been losing and Seems pretty early for a stall right? I've been losing and regaining the same 1 pound which is annoying. I'm going to up my Protein and get moving more!

Also, very odd but I have this creeping feeling that my surgery wasn't as... aggressive, compared to others. I can drink tons of Water (in sips of course) no problem. It's probably all in my head, but I'll keep with the plan regardless.

3 minutes ago, MissSmartyPants said:

Also, very odd but I have this creeping feeling that my surgery wasn't as... aggressive, compared to others. I can drink tons of Water (in sips of course) no problem. It's probably all in my head, but I'll keep with the plan regardless.

Hi MissSmartyPants. I had my surgery 2 days after you and I had similar concerns. I have not yet felt any restriction with liquids. I can drink just like pre-op and not feel a thing. I told my doc and he said “that’s great!!” He said I’ll feel it when I transition to puréed foods. He also said I can move on to non clear liquids this weekend. I’m only down 6 post op lbs so it sounds like we are twinning it! Btw we are also the same height.

1 hour ago, MissSmartyPants said:

Little update! I'm on week 2 and doing full liquids. I'm down 24 pounds altogether, 7 of which are post-op. However, I noticed within the last couple of days that the weightloss has stalled and I've been hovering between 286-287. I've been losing and Seems pretty early for a stall right? I've been losing and regaining the same 1 pound which is annoying. I'm going to up my Protein and get moving more!

I am also in the same position as you @MissSmartyPants and @ThisMomOf5. I had surgery 2/23 so am just over a week post-op doing the clear liquid stage. I've had some gas pains and incision pain but as far as drinking Water and other fluids go, I haven't noticed a difference in my ability to get them down. There was one day (when I had my first BM) when I was overall nauseous but other than that I really don't have trouble getting fluids down. Protein Shakes are a little different but I am also just so over them that I don't mind only drinking 1/2 at a time. My weight loss has been pretty ok so far (down 10 since surgery and I lost 15 during pre-op). I have my check up tomorrow and will see what my doc says.

@WahooRach what kind of Protein Shakes are you drinking? I haven’t felt any restriction when drinking mine (Premier Protein). I’m wondering if that’s because they are pretty thin. I think I’ll try to drink a slightly thicker one to see if I feel more limited. At this point I don’t feel any proof that I had surgery except the incisions and belly swelling that comes and goes. Hope there wasn’t a mixup and I got my neighbors surgery lol

Hi everybody when I was in the full liquid stage I was drinking Boost High Protein (I like to mix half chocolate and half strawberry) and Boost also make a Mobility shake which I think probably helped with my knee pain. Aren't you allowed yogurt and V8 juice at this stage? If you are try mixing 2oz beef broth and 2oz of V8 and warm it up a little in the microwave it tastes like Tomato soup! I started the puree stage today and let me tell you it's worth the wait! I had a scrambled egg this morning and I felt like I was robbing a bank! An egg, who would have thought? It felt so good to chew something other than a Vitamin. So hang in there you guys are right around the corner from hitting a good spot!!!

I was revised to mini gastric bypass on 2/23. I had to have it do to developing Barrett’s Esophagus from my sleeve which I had 12/20/15. This was the hardest surgery I have ever had. I am home one week as if today and finally feel human again. Looking for someone to share ideas, recipes, goals and ups and downs. Preferably someone who had surgery around same time as me.

6 hours ago, DeonneG said:

I was revised to mini gastric bypass on 2/23. I had to have it do to developing Barrett’s Esophagus from my sleeve which I had 12/20/15. This was the hardest surgery I have ever had. I am home one week as if today and finally feel human again. Looking for someone to share ideas, recipes, goals and ups and downs. Preferably someone who had surgery around same time as me.

@DeonneG I had my gastric bypass on 2/24. I too am a revision...kinda. I was one of the first people to undergo lap band surgery in 2003. My band slipped and I had to have it removed 13years later. I think I was slightly traumatized by my band slipping and all the medical issues and hospitalizations that ensued (but that’s a story for another day). I had met my weight loss goals and was falsely confident that I could keep the weight off without any wls tools. Flash forward 5 years and too many diets to count here I am at my highest weight ever.

I’d love for us to share ideas, recipes and experiences! ❤️ So far I’ve been living off of Premier Protein shakes, Unjury Protein broth and crystal light. I have had no restriction and no discomfort when I eat so I was just given the go ahead to advance to non clear liquids. My doc also told me to give a soft scrambled egg a try. Last night my friend dropped off a puréed lobster bisque. I strained it and drank 1/2 cup. It was divine!!! Still no restriction, never felt full. I felt like I could’ve had 2 bowls without my new stomach speaking up but I stopped on my own. I’m starting to worry that the lack of restriction and a very crappy metabolism are going to impact my weight loss. Patience has ever been a strength of mine 😏

11 hours ago, betterme2021 said:

Hi everybody when I was in the full liquid stage I was drinking Boost High Protein (I like to mix half chocolate and half strawberry) and Boost also make a Mobility shake which I think probably helped with my knee pain. Aren't you allowed yogurt and V8 juice at this stage? If you are try mixing 2oz beef broth and 2oz of V8 and warm it up a little in the microwave it tastes like Tomato soup! I started the puree stage today and let me tell you it's worth the wait! I had a scrambled egg this morning and I felt like I was robbing a bank! An egg, who would have thought? It felt so good to chew something other than a Vitamin. So hang in there you guys are right around the corner from hitting a good spot!!!

@betterme2021 Thanks for the great ideas! I’m going to try that V8/broth Soup today!

I got my bypass 2/9/21 recovery was hard. I was on Jardine for my diabetes before surgery to help me lose the mandatory 15 pounds before surgery. My surgeon was unfamiliar with the medication and should have took me off atleast 3-5 days before and didn't. As a result on 2/14/21 I ended up back in the hospital with metabolic ketosis and on top of that server dehydration .. Now on soft food I'm at the infamous 3 week stall and not feeling very hopeful. I started at the smaller end of the scale so I was warned weight loss would be slower than most but I didn't expect a stall so soon.

HW 238

SURGERY WEIGHT 219

CW 204