Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Teeth problems after gastric bypass several years ago???



Recommended Posts

My niece says she had gastric bypass surgery about 11 years ago now. We hadn’t seen her for a couple years and she says the gastric bypass surgery caused her to lose all her teeth. Never heard of this— is this something to be concerned about?? She has a lot of other problems besides this, but just wanted to throw this question out there and see what comes back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never heard of anyone losing all their teeth to it, but I've read some (albeit not very often - maybe a couple times a year on internet forums?) of people who've had issues with decay (moreso than they had before surgery). My take on this is although it can happen, it's not very common. I asked my dentist about it before I had surgery, and he said although he'd read about it, he's never seen it in any of his patients who've had WLS. My bariatric clinic doesn't know of any patients who've had that, either (of course, not all patients do their follow-ups through their bariatric clinic, though - so it could be that they just don't personally know of any patients).

my dentist told me that the problems are likely due to excess acid, either from vomiting or unmanaged GERD. I don't have a problem with either, but he said he'd have the hygienist do a fluoride varnish on my teeth twice a year, and he also gave me a prescription for a super-high fluoride toothpaste that I use before bedtime. He said those should go a long way toward preventing any type of decay. I don't know if I necessarily needed it because I have regular dental checkups, so he may have done it just to placate me since I was so worried about it. But that's fine - I'd rather have all the extra protection!

so long story short - I've never heard of anyone losing all of their teeth. We do see maybe one or two posts a year on people have more decay issues than they did prior to surgery, though - but I would think if it was a common issue, we'd see a lot more posts like that.

Edited by catwoman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said in one of the groups I am in - that if you don't take Calcium supplements.. you could lose your teeth. Not sure how true that is. I already take calcium though and I am VERY good with my oral hygiene since the surgery.. since I get that nasty "keto breath" or whatever it is when you don't have a lot of carbs. Now I am brushing my teeth WAY more per day than I used to, ESPECIALLY with having to wear a mask because of Covid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend has gastric bypass and his teeth are awful now (they weren't before surgery) but I haven't asked him about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I've never heard of anyone losing all their teeth to it, but I've read some (albeit not very often - maybe a couple times a year on internet forums?) of people who've had issues with decay (moreso than they had before surgery). My take on this is although it can happen, it's not very common. I asked my dentist about it before I had surgery, and he said although he'd read about it, he's never seen it in any of his patients who've had WLS. My bariatric clinic doesn't know of any patients who've had that, either (of course, not all patients do their follow-ups through their bariatric clinic, though - so it could be that they just don't personally know of any patients).

my dentist told me that the problems are likely due to excess acid, either from vomiting or unmanaged GERD. I don't have a problem with either, but he said he'd have the hygienist do a fluoride varnish on my teeth twice a year, and he also gave me a prescription for a super-high fluoride toothpaste that I use before bedtime. He said those should go a long way toward preventing any type of decay. I don't know if I necessarily needed it because I have regular dental checkups, so he may have done it just to placate me since I was so worried about it. But that's fine - I'd rather have all the extra protection!

so long story short - I've never heard of anyone losing all of their teeth. We do see maybe one or two posts a year on people have more decay issues than they did prior to surgery, though - but I would think if it was a common issue, we'd see a lot more posts like that.

Thank you so much for responding!! I really appreciate that and it helps me think that it is probably other issues involved with her. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I have TMJ due to inflammation arthritis And my teeth not good

Sent from my U693CL using BariatricPal mobile app

she was asking about people whose teeth got bad after weight loss surgery, though - since you just had surgery a few days ago, sounds like you've had a problem with teeth for awhile (plus the TMJ) - sorry to hear that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had WLS 1 1/2 years ago and have been since diagnosed with dry mouth, which causes teeth erosion and cavities. I didn't have it before the surgery. I lost one molar (it just cracked in half) three months ago and have had more cavities than I ever had before. My dentist said that I will have a challenging time (and will spend a lot of money) trying to keep my remaining teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Prestonandme said:

I had WLS 1 1/2 years ago and have been since diagnosed with dry mouth, which causes teeth erosion and cavities. I didn't have it before the surgery. I lost one molar (it just cracked in half) three months ago and have had more cavities than I ever had before. My dentist said that I will have a challenging time (and will spend a lot of money) trying to keep my remaining teeth.

Do they know what caused your dry mouth? Auto-immune issue? Medication?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Do they know what caused your dry mouth? Auto-immune issue? Medication?

Definitely not autoimmune issues, GERD, stomach acid problems, or medication effects. Those have been ruled out. My Calcium levels are within normal range. The surgeon and the dentist do not know why I began having dry mouth issues just days after surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Prestonandme said:

Definitely not autoimmune issues, GERD, stomach acid problems, or medication effects. Those have been ruled out. My Calcium levels are within normal range. The surgeon and the dentist do not know why I began having dry mouth issues just days after surgery.

I know having a dry mouth can definitely cause tooth issues. Do they have you using something like artificial saliva? Even without the tooth issues, I bet having a dry mouth is really uncomfortable!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I know having a dry mouth can definitely cause tooth issues. Do they have you using something like artificial saliva? Even without the tooth issues, I bet having a dry mouth is really uncomfortable!!!

I first used XyliMelts (dissolvable tablets that are placed against the gums before bedtime) but then was told by my dentist to rinse with Biotene before going to sleep every night. I also keep Water at my bedside and sip it in the middle of the night if I awaken. I'm trying to be as proactive as possible by scheduling regular checkups and cleanings.

Yes, dry mouth is very uncomfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically if someone has teeth problems after surgery, it’s due to vitamin/mineral deficiency. Our tummy absorbs stuff differently now. If you start noticing teeth issues have your levels checked

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Prestonandme said:

Definitely not autoimmune issues, GERD, stomach acid problems, or medication effects. Those have been ruled out. My Calcium levels are within normal range. The surgeon and the dentist do not know why I began having dry mouth issues just days after surgery.

I can understand the stomach acid causing teeth problems - did you have GERD issues before the surgery? I have had gerd issues for years before my gastric bypass, as well as dry mouth from my medications. Since my surgery I have no trouble with GERD at all, and was recommended bypass over the sleeve just because of my problems with GERD. So I still don’t see how the teeth issue is from Gastric Bypass. I can’t believe how much better I feel when I go to bed without having to sit up to sleep! And my teeth are getting mighty old, and need some crowns, so it will be interesting to see if they start decaying at a faster rate. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s hormone related??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×