Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Teeth problems after gastric bypass several years ago???



Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Grammie2 said:

I can understand the stomach acid causing teeth problems - did you have GERD issues before the surgery?

No, I never had GERD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Prestonandme said:

No, I never had GERD.

Well, I’m so sorry that has happened to you, I’m sure that was/is frustrating and expensive on top of the life changes you’ve had with the WLS. Are you still taking all your supplements you took right after surgery? I know some have opted to just take a regular or even children’s chewable vitamins, but I’d hate to take the chance. There have been a few who say they have had severe teeth problems since their surgery, so you are not alone, but thankfully it doesn’t seem to be a big problem. I’m going to ask about it when I go to my family dr and the Bariatric dr again in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Grammie2 said:

Are you still taking all your supplements you took right after surgery? I know some have opted to just take a regular or even children’s chewable vitamins, but I’d hate to take the chance. There have been a few who say they have had severe teeth problems since their surgery, so you are not alone, but thankfully it doesn’t seem to be a big problem. I’m going to ask about it when I go to my family dr and the Bariatric dr again in January.

Yes, I take my bariatric vitamin/mineral supplements every day. My former roommate had WLS ten years ago and has had a lot of dental problems, too, including the loss of two teeth, but that could be due to other factors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Prestonandme said:

Yes, I take my bariatric vitamin/mineral supplements every day. My former roommate had WLS ten years ago and has had a lot of dental problems, too, including the loss of two teeth, but that could be due to other factors.

Thanks for your input. I wouldn’t want to undo this operation, but I’ll certainly be interested to see how this all plays out over time. Congratulations on all your weightloss!! You are an awesome example of how to go about it!!! How long did it take for you to meet your goal? I’m going very slowly right now. Had started at 4 lbs. a week for 3 weeks or so, and went down to 2 then 1 for the last couple weeks. I struggle so much with getting Water and Protein. Now that I’m on regular food I don’t drink those stinkin high Protein Shakes anymore, and I know that’s probably a lot of it, but I’m not hungry most of the time. I know my taste has changed. But if I can keep losing at least 1 pound a week I’ll get there........just slower...... YOU ROCK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Grammie2 said:

Thanks for your input. I wouldn’t want to undo this operation, but I’ll certainly be interested to see how this all plays out over time. Congratulations on all your weightloss!! You are an awesome example of how to go about it!!! How long did it take for you to meet your goal? I’m going very slowly right now. Had started at 4 lbs. a week for 3 weeks or so, and went down to 2 then 1 for the last couple weeks. I struggle so much with getting Water and Protein. Now that I’m on regular food I don’t drink those stinkin high Protein Shakes anymore, and I know that’s probably a lot of it, but I’m not hungry most of the time. I know my taste has changed. But if I can keep losing at least 1 pound a week I’ll get there........just slower...... YOU ROCK!

I think you'll be fine if you are scheduling regular dental checkups and cleanings. We can't predict our dental outcomes but we can prevent many problems by being vigilant, taking our vitamins/minerals, and investing financially in our dental health.

As for my weight loss, even my surgeon does not know how I got down to 121 lbs. He had predicted I would end up at about 150 lbs. I did no more or less than any other WLS patient in terms of diet and exercise, but since surgery, I've struggled a lot with nausea problems and noticed that after extended bouts that lasted a few days (when I hardly ate anything) I would drop several pounds. I'm actually in a weird situation right now where I am working with my nutritionist to stabilize my weight by increasing healthy fats, drinking Ensure during nausea bouts, and eating very small meals before bedtime.

Don't be discouraged about losing 1 lb. a week. We all reach a point in our weight loss when it slows down quite a bit. Keep up the good habits and you'll reach your goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prestonandme said:

I think you'll be fine if you are scheduling regular dental checkups and cleanings. We can't predict our dental outcomes but we can prevent many problems by being vigilant, taking our vitamins/minerals, and investing financially in our dental health.

As for my weight loss, even my surgeon does not know how I got down to 121 lbs. He had predicted I would end up at about 150 lbs. I did no more or less than any other WLS patient in terms of diet and exercise, but since surgery, I've struggled a lot with nausea problems and noticed that after extended bouts that lasted a few days (when I hardly ate anything) I would drop several pounds. I'm actually in a weird situation right now where I am working with my nutritionist to stabilize my weight by increasing healthy fats, drinking Ensure during nausea bouts, and eating very small meals before bedtime.

Don't be discouraged about losing 1 lb. a week. We all reach a point in our weight loss when it slows down quite a bit. Keep up the good habits and you'll reach your goal!

Is the Ensure in addition to all your Vitamin supplements? I sometimes have nausea, but only threw up once. But my nausea isn’t 24/7 or anything like that. Has the advice of the nutrition helped you a lot? Which Ensure do you drink?

Edited by Grammie2
Forgot to ask a ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grammie2 said:

Is the Ensure in addition to all your Vitamin supplements? I sometimes have nausea, but only threw up once. But my nausea isn’t 24/7 or anything like that. Has the advice of the nutrition helped you a lot? Which Ensure do you drink?

Absolutely. Even on my worst nausea days, I make sure I take my vitamin/mineral supplements. My nutritionist is fantastic. She makes herself available by email/phone five days a week and does not charge for the updated short consultations.

I drink Ensure Plus on nausea days. I prefer the strawberry flavor. It's very inexpensive and doesn't taste too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×