Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a food addict. And Bypass isn't a cure.

I also want to add that my comments are not directed at or a jab at any particular person or group either. My point is that surgery is easy compared to trying to "fix" years of destructive behavior. And that starvation is no less destructive than overeating.

On 12/31/2020 at 17:28, OAGBPal said:

Thank you. I want to make sure to add that this is not a jab at anyone or any group on my end, at all. I have deep respect for the struggles people are having, and I truly understand needing to find one's own path.

I hear of all these US insurance company regimens; liquid diets that last for weeks and month pre op (making zero sense, as long as the pt. shrinks that liver, who cares where the calories come from?!). Patients being told to sip Water months before surgery because 'they need to learn that'. That kind of approach is found in the same box as 'tell the super obese patient to eat less to lose weight'. No sh*t, Sherlock!

At zero point is

• weight stability

• de-coupling eating from emotions

• self-care

being taught.

What if patients learned why their relationship with food is so strained and then were told to maintain their weight for a bit, just to learn what that is ... and subsequently gain confidence they'll be able to do it after WLS? Nope, Optifast Ultra Plus for you. For 2 months. Because we can.

Anyway. It's nice there's at least a few other heretics here. :)

Loving all the heretics haha! I’m learning so much even before I start my classes. I’ve been reading an Intuitive eating book and I was so confused on how IE and bypass would work together. I’m learning a lot.

9 hours ago, Midearsweetheart said:

I’ve been reading an Intuitive eating book and I was so confused on how IE and bypass would work together.

Once the healing phase is over the two can work together quite fine.

I’m 17 years out and have had issues in wanting certain things like candy and fast food but Soda I truly used to drink it all day long after surgery not once did I crave it or want it I thought I would have problems with wanting soda as well @Dadorf5 but truly mind over matter try not to think about it yes it’s hard but you can do it