Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet from program includes bread for breakfast and lunch anyone else

Dear all

I am 8 weeks post op today and my program and dietician have given me a meal plan that has bread in for Breakfast and lunch. I have not followed it until now. I have lost about 25lbs and they say this is because I am not consuming bread. It is about 2 slices per meal so 4 per day. I must also say that I am not a bread person. I feel like this is wrong. Does anyone else have such a program?

Edited by NewWorldMe

No, my new stomach won't tolerate bread. I can get in about 1/2 a piece but then I really feel full and can't eat anything else and I'll get the "foamies" if I eat anymore. That's surprising. Maybe you just need more Fiber, which you can get in things besides bread.

Hi!

My program allowed whole grain breads/rice/cereals...but I chose NOT to have any throughout weight loss phase (my team was aware and had no serious objections).

Now, I was definitely a bread person, but I found I didn’t even miss it, and I lost plenty of weight just fine.

The concept of not losing weight because one isn’t eating bread, is a new one for me...this is the first i’ve heard of this. But then again, there are many, many different opinions/positions about how to lose weight effectively...need to find one that works for you (we are not one size fits all!)

Good Luck!

P.S. 25 lbs in 8 weeks sounds about the average expected loss for the average person. You are doing great!

Thank you. I needed this. I feel like it is not moving or moving extremely slow. I know there is no one size fits all. I just wish I knew what size fits me.

That seems very strange! My plan specifically says no bread for the first year. They said this is because it is hard for the pouch to digest and tends to sit in the stomach like a rock. I don't know how you could even have room to eat two slices in one meal 8 weeks out.

my program wasn't ultra-low carb - it was balanced, so I suppose they might have allowed bread (although I didn't really eat bread until around year 3 post op) - but four slices a day seems like a lot. Even now, bread sometimes feels like a brick in my stomach. I'll have a piece occasionally - but things like bread and white rice and Pasta (all things I avoided at first - but eat occasionally now), kind of just sit there like a Gummy glob in my stomach. Plus they're not particularly nutritionally dense, and they take up a lot of stomach real estate to boot...

At 8 weeks my rny bypass plan would be the soft eating and the diet sheet I've been given includes carb options at each meal. At the evening meal, 1 slice of wholegrain bread is one of the carb options i.e. at the evening meal you can choose between 1/2 cup mashed potato/sweet potato/risotto/4-6 wholegrain crackers/1 slice wholegrain bread. The amount of bread you've been told to have does sound a lot? But it always surprises me how different the eating plans are from one doctor to another. Fwiw, I think that 25lbs weight loss in 8 weeks sounds pretty good!

Congrats on your weight loss so far.

So they’re saying not eating bread is the only reason you’ve lost weight??? So your reduced caloric intake, your healthier food choices, healthier cooking methods, smaller portions, increased activity, etc. has had no impact on your weight loss??? Bizarre.

I had a no bread plan too. I was only allowed rolled oats during weight loss. I was allowed to add whole or multi grain crackers when I reached maintenance but still no bread. I was told because it is so filling & you have trouble getting in your Protein & other nutrients.

I still don’t eat bread, wraps etc. at all & don’t miss it (no Pasta or rice either). But that is my choice now & what works for me. You may find adding some bread once you’re in maintenance works for you.

Good luck on your journey.

I did not add grain based carbs until I was very close to goal weight. I keep at or below goal by adjusting my daily grain and nut intake.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

So they’re saying not eating bread is the only reason you’ve lost weight??? So your reduced caloric intake, your healthier food choices, healthier cooking methods, smaller portions, increased activity, etc. has had no impact on your weight loss??? Bizarre.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure OP is dissatisfied with her weight loss and is being told her weight loss is slow because she’s not eating bread, which I think is even more absurd than being told her weight loss success is due mainly to avoiding bread.

21 hours ago, NewWorldMe said:

Dear all

I am 8 weeks post op today and my program and dietician have given me a meal plan that has bread in for Breakfast and lunch. I have not followed it until now. I have lost about 25lbs and they say this is because I am not consuming bread. It is about 2 slices per meal so 4 per day. I must also say that I am not a bread person. I feel like this is wrong. Does anyone else have such a program?

There is no way a WLS patient 8 weeks out can eat 2 pieces of bread in a sitting and I highly doubt they could eat even 1 piece without getting sick. Be careful and good luck to you.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:08 PM, Deb9386 said:

At 8 weeks my rny bypass plan would be the soft eating and the diet sheet I've been given includes carb options at each meal. At the evening meal, 1 slice of wholegrain bread is one of the carb options i.e. at the evening meal you can choose between 1/2 cup mashed potato/sweet potato/risotto/4-6 wholegrain crackers/1 slice wholegrain bread. The amount of bread you've been told to have does sound a lot? But it always surprises me how different the eating plans are from one doctor to another. Fwiw, I think that 25lbs weight loss in 8 weeks sounds pretty good!

This was my plan at 8 weeks as well but my NUT was more concerned with my just getting my Protein in and pretty flexible with what I ate or didn't eat. Having to eat bread is a new concept to me too.

I do eat bread and have been for about 2 weeks now (3 months post op) because I worry about my fiber and I will eat Aldi zero carb bread. It also seems to be something I can take down if I toast and have something moist on it (I like smashed up turkey meatballs with a bit of Tomato sauce and seasoning). I don't like enough to really want it but enough where it satisfies. I think it's most important to just try to get foods down that can lead to balanced and healthy mostly. I would be sure to check back with your NUT on that.

Thank you all for your feedback and support. The saga continues as they recommend carbs wholewheat crackers with tuna or chicken for Breakfast and lunch and potatoes or rice with dinner. My weightloss is stuck at .8kg per week. I have told the NUT that I do not agree with the plan and have received no alternatives so I have opted to do it alone as the hospital team had no alternative. I am not ignoring carbs as they are in fruit, yogurt, etc but I do not feel good incorporating this into my daily diet. Hopefully I am making the right decision for myself

2 hours ago, NewWorldMe said:

Thank you all for your feedback and support. The saga continues as they recommend carbs wholewheat crackers with tuna or chicken for Breakfast and lunch and potatoes or rice with dinner. My weightloss is stuck at .8kg per week. I have told the NUT that I do not agree with the plan and have received no alternatives so I have opted to do it alone as the hospital team had no alternative. I am not ignoring carbs as they are in fruit, yogurt, etc but I do not feel good incorporating this into my daily diet. Hopefully I am making the right decision for myself

Every body is different and there is no "one size fits all" plan that will work for everyone. You live in your body, so you are in the best position to know how it reacts to things like bread, potatoes and rice. Personally, those things kick off cravings for me and I wouldn't eat them regularly even if they were allowed on my plan (which they aren't).

I'm entering the maintenance phase now and I still probably won't eat bread regularly. Not because I think it will make me gain weight right away but because I know from experience that it will make me crave carbs and THAT will cause me to gain weight. I've come so far, I don't want something like bread to send me into a downward spiral.

My plan isn't super low carb but the carbs are supposed to come from veggies, dairy and fruit rather than grains. Aside from rare treats (such as on Thanksgiving), I don't eat bread. But there are other people who can with no problem. In the end, your plan has to be tailored for your own needs.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:41 AM, NewWorldMe said:

Dear all

Well my plan is Protein gram based w little carb so no. On top of that I have digestion motility issues so they dont want me eating anything that might further slow things down so my situation is a little more strict on the intake. Make appointment with your dietician there who did the nutrition session for advice. Could be a psychological fear of carb but could also be a natural concern (for diabetes). I tend to speak to the members on my healthcare team for their advice because they have seen it all before. Your concerns are probably common to them