Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin

Hey lovely ladies, my RNY date has been scheduled for December 11th and I’m actually not worried about things with the surgery but I am terrified of having loose skin. Has anyone that has had the surgery and dropped a lot of weight having an issue?

This has been addressed in a lot of threads. If you do a search, you will find more info than you ever wanted to know. After losing more than a hundred pounds at age 62, yes I had (and still have loose skin.) however, by 6 months post op and even more by a year post op, a lot of it sort of tightened up. My arms are not as floppy. Neither are my thighs, neck, for belly. My boobs never came back - still rocks in socks. I went from a 44DD to 34 A, and they hang down to my elbows. Many people really get obsessed with it and it is all they can see. I was in that camp, too, but other people didn't seem to notice as much as I did, and sooooo many people said I looked great and actually looked younger. I do not begrudge any one for getting plastic surgery after WLS, but I do recommend that you wait a year, for a couple of reasons. First, your skin will tighten up a bit on its own. Second, you are going to feel differently about it. Plastics was all I could think about for a while, and then my brain caught up with my body and I started feeling better about my NEW body and all it could do, sags and all. It doesn't matter at all to me now. A good bra and well fitted clothing do wonders. I will never wear a bikini and at my age, I am not trying to attract attention from anyone, and I have truly learned to be comfortable with what I have. You are going to have sags and loose skin. There is no getting around that. But it is not something to be terrified of! Be terrified of dying from the complications of morbid obesity! Having a new body that can do literally anything you want, with a few sags is way better than smooth skin and being obese. It's all a matter of perspective, but give yourself time to figure that out.

Save up for a boob job and tummy tuck!! After you lose all that weight, you deserve it!! South Beach, here I come!!! LOL!!!

Loose skin is pretty much a given with drastic weight loss for most. Like what @AZhiker said, it may not bother you either immediately or eventually.

On the other hand (a la @ChubRub) IF it is in your means to do so, then getting the plastic surgery is a total game changer, in my opinion.

I am thoroughly satisfied with my plastics-provided flat tummy, skinny arms and gravity-defying boobs, lol. But I do still have a saggy butt and soft-looking inner thighs...but I can live with those just fine.

Whatever your path, my guess is you will look AND feel better than you do now with the excess weight, loose skin or not.

Good Luck!

that's a common concern of newbies, but I think the majority of us who are several years out now view it as a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I think most of us would take the loose skin ANY DAY over being morbidly obese again. Plus, it's easy enough for most of us to hide. And if it really bothers you, there's always plastic surgery...

There's pretty much no avoiding loose skin when you lose a massive amount of weight (especially if you lose it quickly). It varies from one person to the next depending on a lot of factors, but you just have to take it into account with the pros and cons of surgery. To most people, loose skin is far better than the alternative of keeping the excess fat. I've lost 130 pounds, and although I still have a ways to go, I have some loose skin, and I'm grateful for it because it's an amazing improvement from where I started. I don't look as good as someone my size who has never been bigger than this, but I look a heck of a lot better than I did at 341 pounds.

Loose skin doesn't really show under the right clothing, so for the most part, people can't even tell if you have it. If it bothers you, plastic surgery is an option, but insurance doesn't typically cover it, so it's very expensive, and from what I hear, very painful.

On 11/17/2020 at 23:19, catwoman7 said:

that's a common concern of newbies, but I think the majority of us who are several years out now view it as a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I think most of us would take the loose skin ANY DAY over being morbidly obese again. Plus, it's easy enough for most of us to hide. And if it really bothers you, there's always plastic surgery...

Lol yes I’m sure it’s a popular question but I would definitely take the loose skin over being obese

On 11/18/2020 at 01:37, BigSue said:

There's pretty much no avoiding loose skin when you lose a massive amount of weight (especially if you lose it quickly). It varies from one person to the next depending on a lot of factors, but you just have to take it into account with the pros and cons of surgery. To most people, loose skin is far better than the alternative of keeping the excess fat. I've lost 130 pounds, and although I still have a ways to go, I have some loose skin, and I'm grateful for it because it's an amazing improvement from where I started. I don't look as good as someone my size who has never been bigger than this, but I look a heck of a lot better than I did at 341 pounds.

Loose skin doesn't really show under the right clothing, so for the most part, people can't even tell if you have it. If it bothers you, plastic surgery is an option, but insurance doesn't typically cover it, so it's very expensive, and from what I hear, very painful.

I completely understand! Thank you thank you

Plastic surgery is a total game changer when it comes to fixing very loose skin but you may not need it.

Try to focus on the positive changes you'll experience from WLS and cross that bridge when you get there.

Edited by GreenTealael

I only lost 65 pounds (so far) but my skin didn't get loose and floppy.