Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

URGENT - Before Going To Mexico

I wouldn't have been able to get a band in Vegas. It's $28,000 here, and my insurance wouldn't cover it. I was able to get a loan for $7,500 though, which is what I paid in Mexico. We go there because it's the only way some of us can afford it.

I have had a lot of complications that could have been avoided if I had the orginal surgery here, but the bottom line is that Mexico was my only option.

I read about all of the problems you had, and I felt so badly for you. It is a sad statement that women must take potential health risks going over the border (this is not to say that there aren't some great surgeons, etc.) But, what about quality aftercare, and support-which is so important.

I was really lucky that my husband's insurance covers the whole procedure, and I don't know exactly how much it costs. It scared me to read your post, and I am glad you did it so you could help everyone to make a better informed decision.

Joan

I am new to this board, and have a question. Why does everyone go to Mexico to get their Lap Band placed when there are so many qualified surgeons in the U.S. who specialize in it? I am going to get mine from Dr. Santiago Horgan in Chicago, and he only charges $250 for fills.

Joan

Most people being banded in Mexico do not have the co-morbidities (health problems) that the American health insurance companies consider for someone to qualify for WLS here in the States. There are several American health insurance companies that have specific exclusions about WLS - regardless of your need. Hopefully, more and more U.S. insurance companies will realize that this is a life-saving surgery, reduces current (or prevents future) health concerns (such as diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma, heart disease, depression, etc.). Better health saves them $$ in hospitalizations, surgeries, prescriptions, and office visits.

You're right, there are many qualified U.S. surgeons. But if somene is a cash-pay patient, those fees vary greatly from dr. to dr. (U.S. and Mexico). The lowest I've seen in the States is $12,000. The bandster has to also figure in the long-term costs to maintain their band. If they're fortunate enough to live close to Mexico, that's not an issue. But if they live a long distance, they have to budget for: time off work, air/drive travel, hotel, food. They must have a local follow-up dr. (confirmed direct) available (BEFORE) they're banded - in the event of complications.

Even being banded in the U.S., a banded patient can have problems getting another band surgeon to accept them (unless, again, it's been directly preconfirmed beforehand). Things happen...patients move, the original band dr. moves or retires, etc., and the patient is left scrambling for a dr. to accept them. If they do find one, they're usually hit w/extremely high charges.

WLS is something that a person really needs to take the time to fully understand...preband, banding surgery, and post-band care. It's not just about what surgeon has the cheapest price, but also about that surgeon's experience, his/her patients' feedback, hospital facility used, surgeon's availability, his/her staff, and after-care quality.

The lapband is a life-changing tool that (hopefully) will last a patient a lifetime and give that person the power to take back their health and get out there and live life to it's fullest.

Hi Joanie, I'm glad I posted this, too. When is your surgery date? New Hope made a good point that many American patients end up losing their original surgeon for one reason or another. Those people might end up in Mexico, afterall, if they aren't able to find a local doctor that will take them on as patients. I said a lot of nasty things about some Mexican surgeons, but that was probably a mistake since Mexico might be our only option at one time or another. I'm just not the kinda gal that holds back when I have something to say. Some times you gotta have a big mouth to get heard.

Most of the people getting Bands when I did were morbidly obese and chose Mexico for the price and the experience of the surgeons. There was only one person out of 6 that was turned down by the FDA, but she was only 13.

Joan,

Hello everybody,

I had my surgery in Mexico. It wasn't a great experience but I have been problem free too. I was smart enough to find a wonderful fill doctor within a couple hours of my home BEFORE I had surgery who accepted Mexico patients and has reasonable prices but I didn't even think of getting my medical records while I was down there. It took 6 months to finally get them thanks to the help of Diane Beck. AND they came in English. The only thing I am pissed that I didn't do was get my serial number for my band. Otherwise my overall Mexico surgical experience has been VERY positive. It did seem a little sketchy and stressful when I was there for the surgery but I have no complaints since the surgery. Definitely do your research and find a local doctor before going south for the band. Teresa