Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm curious to know how your tastebuds changed after surgery. What do you like to eat now that you didn't before? What did you use to enjoy but can't tolerate now?

I don't remember my tastes changing. But I'm old and forget things.

Well, obviously, I don't do sugar or overmuch fat as I dump. I have moderately severe OCD so one manifestation is that if one is good ten is better. So, for me, it was about ending the binging. My favorites were Proteins so I could keep most of my favorites post-op.

But, folks do report taste changes, which is why completely understanding our food plans is so important. When everything you thought you liked tastes like crap what are you going to eat? If you know why your plan is your plan you will be able to identify other foods that are on your plan.

Good luck,

Tek

I’m four months post op and my tastes haven’t changed at all (as in what food tastes like). What has changed is my desire for the crap that put me in the operating room in the first place, hunger level, and of course my capacity.

I never did have much of a sweet tooth but after surgery I really hated sweet stuff. The shakes were fine before and disgusting after, and also had this weird meaty flavor. Most things I like I still like, but for some reason cottage cheese, which I love, doesn't taste the same. I still like it but it doesn't taste as good as it did, which is disappointing.
Overall, I still like all the things I liked before though.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using BariatricPal mobile app

My preferences for things remain the same pretty much. Though i do find that i have a lower tolerance for spicy foods. Also, my pre-op level of sweetness acceptability has reduced. I'm 2 years post op.

I’m 6 weeks out, but anything that has a sugary taste does not agree with my tastebuds anymore. It’s been a challenge with the shakes and sugar free drinks.

Edited by Roxy21

i couldn't stand Protein Shakes (except the Cookies and cream premier one) after surgery and they tasted like garbage.. i gagged on them.. which was weird bc i loved them before surgery.

i find my tolerance to spice to be a lot less, which sucks w/the 30-30-30 rule. and sometimes if i have a real sugar-treat, it doesn't taste the same.. not as good as i remember.

9 minutes ago, Roxy21 said:

I’m 6 weeks out, but anything that has a sugary taste does not agree with my tastebuds anymore. It’s been a challenge with the shakes and sugar free drinks.

6 minutes ago, chunkarella said:

i couldn't stand Protein Shakes (except the Cookies and cream premier one) after surgery and they tasted like garbage.. i gagged on them.. which was weird bc i loved them before surgery.

i find my tolerance to spice to be a lot less, which sucks w/the 30-30-30 rule. and sometimes if i have a real sugar-treat, it doesn't taste the same.. not as good as i remember.

I stocked up on Protein Shakes in preparation hoping I'm able to keep them down and at least slightly enjoy

Edited by beautifullyblessed

35 minutes ago, beautifullyblessed said:

I stocked up on Protein Shakes in preparation hoping I'm able to keep them down and at least slightly enjoy

Yea. Me too. That, and sugar free ice pops are on the way.

Pre surgery I liked almost everything, bar some fish and offal. Post surgery loads of foods just don't taste good, sometimes I think I want something but end up not liking it. Most of the Protein powders I stocked up in will probably go to waste, I can't stand the sweetness now. I think this is probably a good thing in the long run!

I'm only 5 days post-op but finding it hard to drink the Protein Shakes and some of the Protein waters - they all taste incredibly sweet and sickly. I'd had them before surgery and they were fine. The only protein Water I can tolerate is a Vieve citrus apple & mint. Their other flavours now taste too sickly. I am trying to get protein in through that and also For Goodness shakes Protein Shots which are 25g of protein in 60ml - they still taste far too sweet but it's not much Fluid so I can manage it. I have tons of protein shakes I can't use!

I don't like the taste of milk on its own and am therefore struggling to get calories in. I might try some milk liquidised with smooth Peanut Butter later.

Edited by Deb9386

I used to hate smooth Peanut Butter by itself (as opposed to in baked goods) and now find it’s ok with pretzels or on a wasa cracker. For a while after my VSG the only liquid aside from Protein Shakes I could drink was grape Powerade zero (super weird). After my revision though Water tastes so good so it’s much easier now.
There have definitely been times I craved something and it turned out to be just meh. I’m just glad I haven’t lost my love of spinach! And oddly, my tolerance for spicy foods has gone up and I enjoy it more. 🤷‍♀️