Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How mobile were you post op?

I am 4 days post op from the sleeve. I’m still in pain and having a hard time getting fluids in which is making me feel pretty lazy and not very mobile. How mobile were you 4 days out? Were you back to normal activities or just sitting around? I hate this feeling, I want to be up and getting back to a normal routine but I just don’t have the energy.

I certainly wasn't up to normal activities by day four, I think you need to be a bit kinder to yourself, give yourself time to recover. I wasn't sitting around though, even though I was in compulsory 14 day quarantine once I was home by day four - I got up every hour and walked loops around my house/garden.

Yes there are some people who may have been up to some normal things, but we are all different, listen to your body, be patient.

Three days post op I worked at my computer for 6 hours, which was a mistake, because on the 4th day I slept the entire day. At 8 days out I felt pretty much back to normal, except I got tired very quickly. I'm 16 days out and still get very tired, but I think everyone is different. Just keep focusing on your long term goal. And keep walking as much as you can.

I pretty much just sat around for the first several days. I had surgery on a Thursday, went home the next day (Friday) and didn't do much over the weekend. At that point, just trying to get your fluids and Protein and track everything is basically a full-time job. On Monday, I did a little work on the computer, and on Tuesday, I was close to feeling back to normal. I worked most of the day (at home on the computer). I had almost no pain aside from the gas pain the first couple of days. I was walking around the house periodically from the day I got home, but nothing more strenuous than that for the first week or so. Everyone heals differently and your body has been through a lot, so try not to rush it!

At 4 days out I was still feeling pretty rotten/sick, but I could move around, and get up and down just fine. It definitely took me by surprise how tired I was, which I put down as not reacting well to the anesthesia. (Maybe it takes a while to get all that anesthesia out of your system??? Just a theory.). I took naps during the day that would last 3-4 hours — deep, deep sleep. That alone was weird because I don’t normally nap. I took the first week off from work, which was absolutely necessary, and worked half-days the second week. I felt pretty much okay by then, but I was still needing those long naps in the afternoon. By the 3rd week my energy level felt back to normal.

I'm 4 days post op and I feel pretty good. I had surgery on Wednesday the 14th and on Thursday I told them no more hard narcotics. I couldn't wake up, all I wanted to do was sleep. My stomach was sore but never really hurt but my back was killing me. Try to walk as much as possible. I'm still gassy and sometimes it hurts when I burp but I feel great. Give yourself time.

Sent from my QTAXIA1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was "mobile" within about three days of surgery, which meant I could get up, walk around and basically take care of myself. However, I was nowhere near back to normal activities--that took about three weeks. I was also completely exhausted and didn't walk around much even though I could.

Relax, take it slow and be kind to yourself. You've been through a lot!

Hi! I'm 174cm tall and weighed 105kgs pre-op, dropped down to 99kgs from the 2 week pre-op diet (I was really surprised at this. All that torture paid off!). I just had my sleeve surgery last night around 5pm. Woke up 6:30pm and kept drifting in and out of sleep. Then woke up around 9pm and found myself in my ward. I felt the tiniest amount of pain (2/10 MAX) and had no trouble walking around. Today there's barely any pain, however I'm unable to sleep on my side as it's uncomfortable.

One of my friends also had gastric sleeve surgery around 3 years ago and his was the complete opposite of my experience. He couldn't walk without help for a week! But he told me the larger you are, the more pain you'll feel (he was 180kgs and 197cm tall). Not sure if that theory is true tho.

I am 4 days post op from the sleeve. I’m still in pain and having a hard time getting fluids in which is making me feel pretty lazy and not very mobile. How mobile were you 4 days out? Were you back to normal activities or just sitting around? I hate this feeling, I want to be up and getting back to a normal routine but I just don’t have the energy.
You just had major surgery, it's gonna take time. I had to fly to another state for my surgery and flew back home the next day. I still have some pain, almost 4 weeks out, I just try and work through it. At one week out I mostly chilled in my recliner but would walk back and forth from my car to my gate with help from my hubs. Take your time, till get there.

Sent from my SM-J810M using BariatricPal mobile app

I moved as much as I could, but I didn't feel well enough to go back to work as a teacher until the third week out. My friend was out for two months (also a teacher). Everyone is different, so just listen to your body and do what you can to move around. It's important to avoid blood clots!

So post op the day of surgery I was up and walking for 15 mins every 15 minutes until I started feeling extra sore around 11pm. It was hard being mobile after that, I think I over did it. Then when I was recovering the next 3 days I could only tolerate walking to the mailbox and back. By day 5 I was walking up 3 flights of stairs to my apt(slowly) so I made an effort to at least do that a few times a day until week 2. Then my doctor wanted me to walk a mile every day. Man it was rough!! lots of resting as well though. Like I said earlier, I think I had overdone it lol.

Edited by Em_Evolves