Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any October Sleevers?

20 hours ago, keudaeyeo said:

I'm a week and three days out of surgery, and four days away from broth and rice Water. POTATOES. I feel bad as it's my partner's birthday but I'll be just waiting for my dietitian to say "yes potatoes" as my first check-in is that day too XD

Other than that, I feel okay? Some pain in the suture where my stomach was removed (TMI) but the gas has finally gone thankfully. Still some pain when I sleep but I think it's just because I am a very on-stomach or the side-sleeper.

Happy to hear of everyone's success so far!

Great job and keep it up. Just started soft foods today and cottage cheese never tasted so good. :)

On 11/1/2020 at 2:15 PM, Doug:) said:

My friend pointed me here sooo happy she did. Being able to read about other people experience is nice I feel less alone

I had my op on the 15th but thing never go as expected lol seems i had a hiatus hernia, they fixed it but as I started to awake I found I could not draw breath (15 days down I can just now pull 3000ml on the flow thingy)kind of scary ,has any one else had this ?

Thanks in advance and hi all :)

Doug

I was in the same boat with both the hernia and the reduced lung capacity which they said was a side effect of the anesthesia. Things got back to normal pretty quickly using the flow contraption. Keep up the great progress.

Hello Soft Foods! Started Wk 3 diet today and per my doctor's diet I can introduce the soft foods like loose grits, yogurt, cottage cheese. All I can say is GLORIOUS after several weeks of a liquid diet. I was feeling so incredible weak and was wiped out after walking around with the kids trick/treating. Although I am still on the Protein Shake, I had plain greek yogurt this morning for Breakfast, some cottage cheese with a sprinkle of pepper for lunch, and grits tonight. I feel like I cheated last night as we made pork butt in the pressure cooker with chicken broth as the base and I siphoned off some of the liquid for dinner. I had to take an extra step to skim the fat and remove the chunks with a sieve and towel, but it was a naughty pleasure. Mrs made beef vegetable Soup tonight so I plan on using some of the broth as the base for my grits that will be dinner. As a home chef, I gotta have some flavor and using all kinds of stock to cook things is a great way while staying healthy since I can't add in butter, cheese, or the like. I opted for grits to keep things gluten free and am using the stone ground organic from Bob's Red Mill organic grits (aka polenta) since the instant tend to get a little bland and gelatinous. Should be yummy if only a teaspoon worth.

Anxious to see what happens with the weight loss after reintroducing solids. Walked three miles with the Mrs. this morning to try and compensate for reintroducing solids but shooting for at least another 20 gone by xmas. That might be a little ambitious and I'm not rushing it. Love the fact I am 30lbs down coming out of liquids. I do feel like I loss some muscle and I'll be anxious to start resistance training after week 4 (bands at first).

To everyone out there in bariatric land, you can do this and I'm so excited for everyone who decided to take the initiative to begin the path towards a healthier and longer life. Hang in there.

6 minutes ago, Stephers84 said:

I just had my sleeve on 10/30. I’m struggling a bit with drinking. It hurts when the liquid hits my stomach. Will this go away?

It should. Very very careful with the size of the swallows and take a little sip, sit down the cup and wait a minute or so, then take another being mindful you're new tummy fills up quickly. You are still healing so give it time. If it still hurts to a point where it becomes difficult to drink and it is keeping you from getting in your daily amounts, you may want to call your Dr. As they likely warning of dehydration, the first week is about small sips all day. I know it gets rather tedious and my Dr. recommended I take time off of work just to focus on my drinking. He was right and it's quite the arm workout sipping, putting it down, sipping again a couple minutes later, sitting it down. I used the little cups the hospital gave me the first couple days to keep track, then shifted to a Nalgene bottle with the gauge on the side to keep track. Give it time and you'll get there. We are with you on this journey.

I just had my sleeve on 10/30. I’m struggling a bit with drinking. It hurts when the liquid hits my stomach. Will this go away?
Maybe you're taking too big of a drink? Try taking an even smaller sip and see if that helps any for you

Sent from my SM-G781U using BariatricPal mobile app

It should. Very very careful with the size of the swallows and take a little sip, sit down the cup and wait a minute or so, then take another being mindful you're new tummy fills up quickly. You are still healing so give it time. If it still hurts to a point where it becomes difficult to drink and it is keeping you from getting in your daily amounts, you may want to call your Dr. As they likely warning of dehydration, the first week is about small sips all day. I know it gets rather tedious and my Dr. recommended I take time off of work just to focus on my drinking. He was right and it's quite the arm workout sipping, putting it down, sipping again a couple minutes later, sitting it down. I used the little cups the hospital gave me the first couple days to keep track, then shifted to a Nalgene bottle with the gauge on the side to keep track. Give it time and you'll get there. We are with you on this journey.
Are you able to drink a little more than just the little sips as some time passes?

20 minutes ago, JoanneLaRusch said:

Are you able to drink a little more than just the little sips as some time passes?

In time yes and it is a lot of trial and error. If you take too big of a sip it feels like a mule kick to the sternum and very uncomfortable. I will sometimes take more, but then hold it in my mouth and swallow a little at a time. Everyone is a little different and once you are healed you can experiment with different amount. Please take it easy and just sip now so you don’t risk any complications to the healing.

On 9/28/2020 at 5:30 PM, samiaam25 said:

I am scheduled for October 14th. I’m so excited but also so scared for surgery.

Same date..hope you are feeling well now?

57 minutes ago, Chikichaca21 said:

October 22, 2020 here!
I’m almost 2 weeks post op anyone else have issues with keeping hydrated? It’s been so hard for me to get fluids in including Protein

Hi there I'm on week 3 with all the best will in the world I cant get 60g of Protein. I do the shake in the morning but it takes an hr to drink 200ml , monday I started eating protein yogurt for lunch 17-20g. dinner a plain Soup, I should mix some plain protein in but the texture it adds to plain soup 🤢

As for hydrated some days I run clear others darker I found Sarsaparilla or orange in the Water makes it a little easer to keep sipping

20 hours ago, SabanFan said:

I was in the same boat with both the hernia and the reduced lung capacity which they said was a side effect of the anesthesia. Things got back to normal pretty quickly using the flow contraption. Keep up the great progress.

Hi sabanfan I'm glade to hear it passed fast for you ,it nice to see light at the end of the tunnel:)

19 hours ago, Stephers84 said:

I was not allowed any fluids for 24hr post op the next day when I tryed it felt like the Water was just sitting in the pipes, keep your sips small very small as your new stomach starts to open it will get easer just take it slow and listen to your body we will all make it :)

On 11/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, Stephers84 said:

I haven't experienced the stomach pain but I have heard from others that sometimes the temperature of what you are drinking makes a difference. Maybe try cold if you're drinking hot or vice versa, or maybe even room temp. I hope things are better for you now. Congrats on your surgery. I had VSG on 10/27/20.