Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone 30-31 BMI pre op?



Recommended Posts

Who did you find that would do your surgery with a low BMI? I called all around in the state I live (Utah) and they all say I need a BMI of at least 35 to be able to have the surgery and I would have to pay out of pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lovely2020 said:

I have a low BMI and I had to pay out of pocket. BMI 30.

Where did you go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2020 at 3:57 AM, Lovely2020 said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just joined this group last night and you all have been very helpful. I am currently 186 and my goal long term weight is 130.
My sleeve procedure is oct 7. I meet with the nutritionist today and she works with me for a year in my program. So ready to get this done next week and get in the other side of it all 🙂

How did your surgery go? How are you doing now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BMI was 31.9 when I had my surgery and almost 5 months later - I am only at 145lbs.

5'5" / 145lbs is barely in the "normal" category. It translates into 24,1 BMI and anything over 25 BMI is considered overweight.

I am losing VERY slowly now, even though I do 1½ hours of cardio 6 times a week.

If you're worried about getting too thin, then you can add some carbs into your diet to help you gain a little weight.

Edited by Lanie992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My BMI 37 at surgery in July 2020. I was at 41 when I started my surgeons program.

I’m at a total of 56+ pound weight loss total for about 1lb a week. I’m 20lbs from my surgeons goal at 157.2.

The weight has come off quickly but I would say I haven’t lost as much as my cohorts that we’re higher than me. I was also highly resistant to weight-loss before this started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2020 at 9:23 PM, Lanie992 said:

My BMI was 31.9 when I had my surgery and almost 5 months later - I am only at 145lbs.

5'5" / 145lbs is barely in the "normal" category. It translates into 24,1 BMI and anything over 25 BMI is considered overweight.

I am losing VERY slowly now, even though I do 1½ hours of cardio 6 times a week.

If you're worried about getting too thin, then you can add some carbs into your diet to help you gain a little weight.

Wow, congratulations! From 192 to 145 is a 47 pound difference in 5 months. It's amazing! I would be ecstatic with a loss like that. You should feel very proud of yourself.

You work out a lot, so I bet some of that weight is muscle. Did you start working out as soon as the restrictions were lifted? Did you go into it slowly or the full 1.5 hours 6 times a week? I'd love to have the same success you did.

I heard some of that Dr. V's youtube videos and now it's now making me second guess my planned approached to exercise.

Can anyone share how soon you returned/started to exercise and how was the intensity level? Has anyone lost a lot of weight just by walking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was 37 BMI on surgery day, am now 20 BMI at 12 months post surgery. I lost 100 pounds in 9 months, and have been maintaining the loss for the last three months. Generally people who start at lower BMIs have better results than those who start higher, according to the research on previous patients my surgeon is tracking. I didn't start at the gym until at least 6 months out of surgery, I was too tired and my food intake was not high enough to sustain exercise. Now I go to the gym and do bodypump 3 days a week, and Pilates once a week, and I feel amazing. I lost he majority of my weight doing no formal exercise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I have noticed that with an increase in exercise, I have an increase in hunger to fuel it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, CTexas said:

My starting weight for the sleeve was 204, I am now 185. Having the lapband for so long slowed my metabolism to almost nothing. I believe that is my biggest problem. Interesting to hear what your doctor and dietician said.

I had a lap Band for 12 years and loved it. As yours, mine had to be removed and 45 lbs later I am scheduled to have RNY on November 5th. My dr never mentioned having the band slowed my metabolism but I can’t seem to lose weight no matter what. Although I was leaning toward the sleeve, Because of past reflux issues, we decided RNY was the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, kalí̱ ygeía said:

Wow, congratulations! From 192 to 145 is a 47 pound difference in 5 months. It's amazing! I would be ecstatic with a loss like that. You should feel very proud of yourself.

You work out a lot, so I bet some of that weight is muscle. Did you start working out as soon as the restrictions were lifted? Did you go into it slowly or the full 1.5 hours 6 times a week? I'd love to have the same success you did.

I heard some of that Dr. V's youtube videos and now it's now making me second guess my planned approached to exercise.

Can anyone share how soon you returned/started to exercise and how was the intensity level? Has anyone lost a lot of weight just by walking?

I started doing weights for my arms about 4 weeks after surgery, then slowly started walking around my neighborhood a few times a week.. only about a mile each time. Then about 2 months ago - I joined a 24 hr gym (Planet Fitness - it actually is only 24 hrs from Monday - Thursday, then on weekends - it is open 7am-7pm). I went super late at night or super early in the morning when there was barely anyone there - so I felt more comfortable. It is only $10/month plus a yearly fee ( I think like $45?? can't remember but it is so worth it).

I started on the stationary bike for 30 minutes and kept increasing my time. I usually do the stationary bike for part of my cardio, then walk on the treadmill. I probably could burn the same amount of calories in less time - if I simply ran on the treadmill, but I do NOT like running. Never have, never will. So I do slower and steady cardio.

I usually do around 50 minutes on the bike, then 40 minutes on the treadmill. It fluctuates - sometimes I will do an hour on the bike, then 30 minutes on the treadmill, etc. Just depends on my mood.

If you decide to join a gym - I suggest starting out on a stationary bike.

At first, I would use music to keep me motivated, but now I watch videos and it distracts me so I can work out for longer periods of time without getting bored.

ETA- I just wanted to thank you for the compliment. I have been at a stand still in my weight loss & get down on myself a lot. Your post made me feel better. I appreciate the support. ❤️

Edited by Lanie992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lanie992 said:

I started doing weights for my arms about 4 weeks after surgery, then slowly started walking around my neighborhood a few times a week.. only about a mile each time. Then about 2 months ago - I joined a 24 hr gym (Planet Fitness - it actually is only 24 hrs from Monday - Thursday, then on weekends - it is open 7am-7pm). I went super late at night or super early in the morning when there was barely anyone there - so I felt more comfortable. It is only $10/month plus a yearly fee ( I think like $45?? can't remember but it is so worth it).

I started on the stationary bike for 30 minutes and kept increasing my time. I usually do the stationary bike for part of my cardio, then walk on the treadmill. I probably could burn the same amount of calories in less time - if I simply ran on the treadmill, but I do NOT like running. Never have, never will. So I do slower and steady cardio.

I usually do around 50 minutes on the bike, then 40 minutes on the treadmill. It fluctuates - sometimes I will do an hour on the bike, then 30 minutes on the treadmill, etc. Just depends on my mood.

If you decide to join a gym - I suggest starting out on a stationary bike.

At first, I would use music to keep me motivated, but now I watch videos and it distracts me so I can work out for longer periods of time without getting bored.

ETA- I just wanted to thank you for the compliment. I have been at a stand still in my weight loss & get down on myself a lot. Your post made me feel better. I appreciate the support. ❤️

You're welcome! I love this forum. My words picked you up and yours gave me hope and excitement!

Last year I had muscles because I was lifting, but haven't done anything since then! I'm definitely going to start doing arm exercises at 4 weeks to avoid bat wings if possible and walking until I have the energy to do more.

I'm sorry to hear that you've hit a stall. I've read so much about these stalls, but I see that you're ten pounds away from your goal weight! Hang in there....try to focus on your success and don't dwell on not losing as you have envisioned it. The attachment to our vision of success often causes unnecessary pain.

I wish I had sound advice for you, but I'm so early in the process. I have read that some people far out from surgery date break stalls by changing up the diet and exercise pattern. They play around fluctuating calorie intake. I've read some interesting posts on that. You may want to look into it to see if that helps, but the most important thing right now is that you love and appreciate your hard work, dedication, and determination. Always Celebrate how far you've come! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×