Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you notice the scale moving?

Hi everyone! I had my RNY surgery 2 weeks ago to this date and haven't experienced the scale budging but I've lost enough inches that I feel lighter and clothes fit better. From reading about surgery and results, it seems that people tend to lose weight and then stall out at week 3-6 (I know everyone is different!) I'm curious if there's anyone out there who lost no weight following surgery and continued to have favorable results down the road?

I understand that everyone's journey is different, I just don't want to feel alone in this. I know I'm still in the healing phase just want to talk to people who have had similar starts to this journey ❤️

Thanks

Hi everyone! I had my RNY surgery 2 weeks ago to this date and haven't experienced the scale budging but I've lost enough inches that I feel lighter and clothes fit better. From reading about surgery and results, it seems that people tend to lose weight and then stall out at week 3-6 (I know everyone is different!) I'm curious if there's anyone out there who lost no weight following surgery and continued to have favorable results down the road?
I understand that everyone's journey is different, I just don't want to feel alone in this. I know I'm still in the healing phase just want to talk to people who have had similar starts to this journey [emoji3590]
Thanks

I am 4 weeks postop. I've been working out and hitting the gym..and of course eating right. The scale seem to be not favorable at this time. My weight loss is at a stall. My dietitian and surgeon said not to worry but I don't understand why is taking this long. I hope next month isn't as bad. I continue to work out 6 days of the week. My calorie intake is 500 to 600 a day...and even with that... I don't get it. I want to believe this shall pass and people seem to also agree that this is just a phase. Hope this helps..just stay positive and never give up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, PerezL84 said:

I am 4 weeks postop. I've been working out and hitting the gym..and of course eating right. The scale seem to be not favorable at this time. My weight loss is at a stall. My dietitian and surgeon said not to worry but I don't understand why is taking this long. I hope next month isn't as bad. I continue to work out 6 days of the week. My calorie intake is 500 to 600 a day...and even with that... I don't get it. I want to believe this shall pass and people seem to also agree that this is just a phase. Hope this helps..just stay positive and never give up.

I know this sound strange, but your body might not be getting enough calories to lose fat. How is your Protein intake?

You are doing great, and keep the faith - the journey works!

Edited by scoutmom

1 minute ago, PerezL84 said:

Thank you for replying! Im glad Im not the only one. Im not working out, just doing casual walks that are long in duration. My surgical team suggests to wait on doing strenuous work outs because the low amount of calories we take in, if we burn more than we take in, we are putting bodies in starvation mode.

I hope next week you start seeing the scale move, its disheartening considering we've both spent a lot of time seeing results from other users and the weight has fallen off of them, starting right after surgery. We will get there, our bodies are just stubborn and holding us hostage.

Good luck with everything!

2 minutes ago, scoutmom said:

I know this sound strange, but your body might not be getting enough calories to lose fat. How is your Protein intake?

I'm getting 60-70g of Protein, Im taking all my Vitamins and getting between 60-80oz of Water a day. Im following my bariatric bible!

Thank you scoutmom. Those words of encouragement are always needed. My daily protein is around 80 grams. I normally drink 1 and 1 and 1/2 of Isopure. It does me well. I will continue to track it and hope to see that scale dropping. Keep you posted.

I was too large to fit on any scale but my surgeons, so I had no way of knowing if I lost weight until my first weigh in, a month after surgery. Spoiler, I lost weight. Ultimately, it all worked out ok for me.

scales lie. Every day if you give them the chance.

Scale comes from two greek roots: 'Sca' (Ska) meaning 'crap' and 'Le' (Lie) meaning 'to mislead', so 'misleading crap.'

Good luck,

Tek

50 minutes ago, PerezL84 said:

almost everyone has their first major stall within the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. Just stick to your plan and stay off the scale if you have to. Your weight loss WILL start up again!

Congrats on your surgery.

Sometimes it’s not about the number on the scales but about changes in the fit of your clothes, on the tape measure or with your health.

You’ve just had surgery, your body is still in shock & may be holding on to surgical fluids. Give your body time to catch up with the changes. (I think this is why we have stalls - our body saying let me stop for a moment & catch up with what you’re doing to me.) Stay away from the scales for a few days. You will start to lose & then you’ll see those numbers on the scales decrease.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, Leafy said:

I understand that everyone's journey is different, I just don't want to feel alone in this. I know I'm still in the healing phase just want to talk to people who have had similar starts to this journey ❤️

Thanks

I have not had similar result but just wanted to pop in and wish you luck with struggle. Id think it might be surgery fluids or med related. We really dont know your cormobities or your intakes w carbs n things. I recommend leaning on team w nutritionist. Also bowels are they holding. Just speak to med team see what they got for you

I'm a scale wh*re...... i weigh myself every day... it started my first go around. My scale is digital so i can see the Oz's and i counted that. So no real "stall"..... but i did find that i would go days with losing ounces..... and then bam 2-3lbs. The body is such a crazy marvelous thing..... I also found that the more i moved the more weight disappeared.

Keep a positive outlook and surround yourself with positive people. Remind yourself that every day is a new start.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Going the other way - you are to new to this journey to be focusing on the scale moving

I have said this a million times The scale is going to put you in a rubber room with a jacket that buckles from the back.

During my journey someone here suggested i weigh myself on the first of every month, Record the progress also you will very quickly realize when you pants fall off that you are killing it. It will come so do not get discouraged if you stay on your plan.

Good luck and copy this post cuz in a year you will be posting for the next scale stalker

55 minutes ago, Mr Alley Gator said:

Going the other way - you are to new to this journey to be focusing on the scale moving

I have said this a million times The scale is going to put you in a rubber room with a jacket that buckles from the back.

During my journey someone here suggested i weigh myself on the first of every month, Record the progress also you will very quickly realize when you pants fall off that you are killing it. It will come so do not get discouraged if you stay on your plan.

Good luck and copy this post cuz in a year you will be posting for the next scale stalker

No, Im not focussing on the scale Im simply asking when others noticed their weight loss, as I feel a stall immediately after surgery doesn't seem to be very common.

4 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

I have not had similar result but just wanted to pop in and wish you luck with struggle. Id think it might be surgery fluids or med related. We really dont know your cormobities or your intakes w carbs n things. I recommend leaning on team w nutritionist. Also bowels are they holding. Just speak to med team see what they got for you

I don't take meds, I don't have other health issues, carbs are around 20-30g. I'm going number 2 once a day. I'm having no issues

4 hours ago, Leafy said:

I don't take meds, I don't have other health issues, carbs are around 20-30g. I'm going number 2 once a day. I'm having no issues

5-15 lb a week is average for the first few months. If you arent losing its between you and your team to figure out whats going on. Im not the food exercise or bm police thats their jobs lol