Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just the thought of it makes me barf

On 9/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, The Greater Fool said:

Does anyone NOT know what their plan is post-op?

If people knew their plan/expectations/after-math to a "t", there wouldn't be a need for a forum. There's a lot of info-chill.

1 hour ago, Keatsy said:

Does anyone NOT know what their plan is post-op?

The best laid plans of mice and (wo)men... I have a great plan with my surgeon for afterward that involves Protein Shakes, but if I would be gagging at the thought of them, I'd need to make a plan B pretty quick... and when surgeons are busy and dieticians are scheduling 2 months out we need a little help from our friends.

1 hour ago, minimamaz00m said:

The best laid plans of mice and (wo)men... I have a great plan with my surgeon for afterward that involves Protein Shakes, but if I would be gagging at the thought of them, I'd need to make a plan B pretty quick... and when surgeons are busy and dieticians are scheduling 2 months out we need a little help from our friends.

Yeah but in this day and age a quick email especially with telehealth might be a good idea. Though i love this threead for all the suggestions and am currently about to try to go choke down another shake myself lol i think the best thing is to try to get all the grams from real food but i did not do that today so nast shake it is

On 9/24/2020 at 4:17 AM, tarotcardreader said:

Not necessarily the person may be 600 lb so losing bigger. 5-15 lb a week is average statistically (univ of mich study) for the first few months. Hope that helps!

Except he's not 600-lbs, which one can easily see via the information stated on his member stats. Statistics are all over the place. Thanks Pandemonium for clearing that up.

1 hour ago, Keatsy said:

Except he's not 600-lbs, which one can easily see via the information stated on his member stats. Statistics are all over the place. Thanks Pandemonium for clearing that up.

So you could see how much more he weighed and asked a dumb q anyway? Lets see what ? you post tomorrow

5 hours ago, tarotcardreader said:

So you could see how much more he weighed and asked a dumb q anyway? Lets see what ? you post tomorrow

Folks, do the site a favor and report the quoted post to bring it to the attention of the mods. There is no place for derogatory insults on this site.

1 hour ago, Pandemonium said:

Folks, do the site a favor and report the quoted post to bring it to the attention of the mods. There is no place for derogatory insults on this site.

Yes make sure to report him (pandemonium) for being unnecessary yet again

Edited by tarotcardreader
Report pandemonium for unnecessary posts

3 hours ago, MsMocie said:

OK, I read this thread again.

I gotta admit I find some of the answers here quite disturbing - aside lots of suggestions to Protein alternatives though.

But in the end, bodies are individuals. If the poster cannot stand Protein Shakes, why on earth should he/she force it down. It is just wrong in so many ways. Both physical and mentally.

A Protein Shake is not alpha and Omega for a WLS patient. Getting in adequate Protein is alpha and Omega for everyone though, but it can be done in so many ways that does not destroy you by trying to chug something your stomach, tastebuds or mind doesn't want.

My five cents: (You can disagree with it as much as you want, as long as you disagree with a reasoning)

Screw the protein shakes. Everyone says this. Just don't use energy on forcing things down that isn't water/liquids in the 1-4 week phases. Your stomach is healing, your body is healing - you have all this new stuff thrown at you at the blink of an eye no matter how much you prepared for this. If you can stomach Protein Shakes, by all means, take one or five, or ten - if not, let it be. Let protein be protein, no stress over it in this phase - because nothing dangerous is gonna happen if you don't get your protein intake - but something dangerous will happen if you don't get in some clear liquids/water. So Water first, then protein. After you feel better, and is over the liquids phase and the mashed phase, then you can start the journey with a sustainable diet.

Other suggestions to a commercial protein shake here: You can make anything liquid with a high power blender

- broth

- Soup; For example, make a chicken Soup with slow cooked chicken and broth, then smash it in the blender. It is just protein and much better for you than the Protein Shake.< br />
- smoothies out of keso/quark/greek youhurt with what you can stomach of veggie/fruit - remember to strain it. If you cannot stomach veggie/fruit, add some Water and a stevia flavour. Maybe a raw egg, or just the whites

- Watered out yoghurt. Strain out the lumps

- Nutridrinks

- Veggiepuree with added in unflavoured protein powder

- Ice popsicals made out of lemonade Protein Powder or crystal light

- Fruitpure with added unflavoured protein powder

- Protein Jello or just Jello out of crystal light and gelatin
- Protein Mouse/protein fromage made out of keso/quark/greek youghurt and jello
- At 2 weeks + out, crisp bread and cream cheese, omelette, whisked eggs, Beans, any type of mash, youghurt etc

There are so many things to digest instead of the that protein shake, and many things have more protein than that bottle where it says "protein rich/protein shake" that many people think is necessary.

I think you might b onto something with the eggs

On 9/22/2020 at 11:37 AM, mrshenry said:

Hi All. I'm new to the group as of today! I am a week postt op and I can't get down Protein shakes! They make me gag to even smell them. I literally gag. I have tried several flavors and varieties in different forms...even making my own. Nothing works.default_sad.png&key=eede538cefacefd5b09bc3209f264a659ab0a07f9d0c9c28b43ddf136bc5059a For my pre-op doctor's visit , my doctor is going to flip his lid of I tell him I can't do the Protein shakes....HELP!!!!!!
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

There are several different types of bariatric surgeries. The requirement for Protein Shakes will vary by the type of surgery. I had RNY and dropped 120 pounds in around 7 months. Weight loss is a function of meal volume control. Right after surgery I was limited to 2 ounces of food per meal. It was impossible for me to get in enough Protein from my meals alone. Thus I began using protein shakes. I didn't like them but I drank them. And I figured ways to improve the taste.

So the first comment is do not be too concerned if you fail to meet your protein and Fluid requirements in the beginning. During the first few weeks your body is in a major heal mode. Just keep working towards your goals and eventually you will get there.

In the following article, I discussed my approach to protein. As far as protein shakes are concerned, I found that by blending in a half a banana into the shake helped improve its taste substantially. There are many different types of protein shakes, experiment and try the various types until you find one that you can tolerate. You do not have to like them, just tolerate them. And there are many different tricks to enhance the flavor.

How
I
Survived
Bariatric
Surgery

7 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

@James Marusek @Alex Brecher or any other I belive is a mod:
Time to close up shop here.

tarotcardreader and Pandemonium This site is for the benefit of bariatric patients not to wage your own personal war.

This thread is now closed.