Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walking shoes recommendations

I cannot get enough of my Ryka slip on sneakers. I run in them, go hiking in them, and my feet never hurt. Low cost and comfortable.

Asics Gel Quantum 180 4 Sneakers.
Tiosebon Athletic Walking Shoes.
New Balance FuelCore Nergize Sneakers.
Adidas Ultraboost 19 Sneakers.

These have been my favorites for a while (Altra): https://www.altrarunning.com/homepage.html

However, a podiatrist told me the best thing you could do is go to a running store, or a shoe store that still actually fits you for a shoe and have them do that. You can find out what kind of shoe you need, and that will help you get the best shoe for your gait and feet.

I use Brooks. Unfortunately they cost more but I think you get what you pay for when you need support. I get them on sale at sporting goods stores as long as you are not picky about the color.

My husband and I both love New Balance, but I also enjoy Skechers. I think either would be a great affordable choice!

Brooks Levitate 3s are my favorite shoes. I walk a lot as I’m a nurse who works 12 hour shifts. Three days a week at work I walk 3-5 miles per day. I used to love ASICS, but now they feel too narrow. I had some Sauconys that were great for awhile, but they stopped making that model a few years ago. The Brooks Ghost model I also find comfortable. It’s hard to give a blanket recommendation because the models change so often. If you are unable to get to a shoe store for a fitting you might want to try Amazon. Sometimes I can find a good deal on an older model of shoe. Try the shoe on a clean surface and return it if it doesn’t work out. Check the return policy on any shoes you might buy from Amazon because sometimes there is a 3rd party seller, but in general, I’ve been able to return shoes easily.

I swear by ASICS or Reebok DMX because they run wider. I worked on my feet as an ophthalmic technician for about 15 years and those shoes were the only ones that wouldn’t cause joint pain in my knees, ankles, and feet. I usually get them through Kohl’s when I get a really good coupon or Amazon on sale. However, if you’re still having intense pain I would go to a walking shoe store and have shoes fitted or maybe even see a podiatrist.

Hi everyone! So I am hoping to maybe get some recommendations from this lovely community. I need good walking shoes, I am supposed to be at 60 minutes of exercise a day, 6 days a week by the time I have surgery(I have about a month and a half left of supervised diet, 2 visits left!) The issue is I have been putting off new shoes for months but had my wake up call when I took my dog for a brisk 15 minute walk last night and today my feet and leg muscles hurt so much(I even tried my work slip on Crocs thinking I had issues from my sneakers due to support and it made zero difference last night). I can get the exercise in (I love hiking and walking my dog now that I no longer live on the surface of the sun) but shoes have to be addressed.
From what the internet tells me, I have supination-I tend to walk on the outside of my feet(evident in the countless pairs of shoes ruined when I wore through the material on the sides). If anyone can throw me recommendations based on what worked for you personally I would be eternally grateful! I can only read so many "lists of best walking shoes for overweight women with supination" since they are all over the place...I plan to check out the Asics outlet store by my work and maybe Academy for New Balance(did I mention I'm on a super tight budget?[][]budget for shoes is around 50-100)
Thanks so much, y'all are the best!
Sent from my SM-N986U using BariatricPal mobile app

New balance and reebok helped me since my feet were super swollen and barely fit in anything I just recently bought walking pumas all.less than 65 buck each. New balance had special in qvc i bought less than 45. Good luck[emoji1696][emoji106][emoji122][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree with catwoman7 and Arimi, Brooks and Saucony make excellent walking shoes but everyone's needs are a little different. If you can find a running/ walking shoe store that offers free fittings, I'd recommend it. I had a shoe fitting years ago and they were able to identify my gait, pronation, and high arch. Wherever you go, I'd make sure they offer a good return policy. Also, your feet may shrink as you lose weight and your once great shoes may not offer the right support anymore. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I eventually went with the Brooks' Ghost shoes with separate insoles for supination and those have worked very well. 😊

Brooks all the way! I don’t wear anything else. More expensive but worth it. I buy extra in soles too for my arches.

When I was 340 the Hoka One One Clifton 8s were my go-to. They held up well with the weight and were incredibly soft to walk on. Now that I’m at 195 I switched to basic Nike running sneakers that are light as air and still soft. They probably wouldn’t have survived long at my previous weight though. The hoka were really durable and never seemed to give up cushioning.

Everybody's feet are different and you need to find what is best for your particular foot shape, amount of pronation or supination, and comfort. Another factor is the change in foot size and musculature as your weight comes off. I didn't really think about the budget, but I have spent way too much on shoes over the past year. A good pair of running shoes is good for 300-400 miles for someone of "normal" weight, and probably less when you are heavy. So if you are walking as your doctor likely recommends (if you can), expect to be buying many pairs of shoes over the next few years. The good news is that you selection right now isn't permanent. If you don't love the ones you have, you get the chance to buy something else in a few months :). I'm walking about 50 miles a week, so I replace my shoes every 8 weeks or so. Because of that, shortly after I get a pair, I'm already thinking about the next one and looking for a good deal or sale online so I'm ready when it is time to jump to the new pair.

I also have fallen arches (including forefoot arch), so I have to add in insoles. I keep several pair that I can swap around to whatever shoes I'm wearing.

My progression since I started this journey a year ago: Brooks Ravenna 10> Brooks Adrenaline GTS > Hoka One One Arahi 4 (had surgery here) > Hoka One One Arahi 4 > Hoka One One Arahi 4 > Asics GT-2000 > (decided to not get "stability" shoes) Hoka One One Clifton 7 > Hoka One One Clifton 7

I don't want to think about how much money I've spent on shoes. I remember when a good pair of shoes would last a year or more. I guess that says a lot about how little I used to exercise.

Edited by billho