Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone for October 2020?

On 9/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, Orchidlover said:

Hey everyone. I haven't been on this page in what seems like forever. I have really been struggling you guys. I stopped losing weight after month 6 and it's really discouraged me. It could be because I started back working so I made excuses for why I couldn't go walk my 2 miles or go to Pilates class or eat healthier choices since I have a sedentary job. I was wondering if anyone else was struggling and what you did to get back on track.

My highest weight was 465lbs and on surgery day I was 457. I got down to 357 and then shot right up to 378lbs. I wasn't really eating if at all when I got to 357 due to my depression. But then I was put on a new med that actually causes its users to gain weight and I was taken off of it. Thank God. I don't eat much and get full fast but I guess like the nutritionist said it still matters what I put in my body.

I hope all my fellow Oct 2020 people are doing great as we approach our 1 year anniversary. FYI I was sleeved on Oct.5,2020

Hi Orchidlover - hope things are going better for you now. It's hard fitting everything in with full time work and I really sympathise. Try to think of your original goal and how well you've done already to lose 100lbs! That's a huge achievement.

I think that all of us who have gastric surgery are going to have to treat the eating/exercise as a lifelong thing, and inevitably we'll slip at times. We just have to get back on track by prioritising our health over everything else. I know it's easy to say, but not always easy to do. My diet has definitely slipped and while I'm not putting on weight I'm definitely not eating right. As for exercise - I did well at first but now that's almost non-existent. You're definitely not alone in struggling but you can get back on track and do it!!

On 9/2/2021 at 4:33 PM, Orchidlover said:

Hey everyone. I haven't been on this page in what seems like forever. I have really been struggling you guys. I stopped losing weight after month 6 and it's really discouraged me. It could be because I started back working so I made excuses for why I couldn't go walk my 2 miles or go to Pilates class or eat healthier choices since I have a sedentary job. I was wondering if anyone else was struggling and what you did to get back on track.

My highest weight was 465lbs and on surgery day I was 457. I got down to 357 and then shot right up to 378lbs. I wasn't really eating if at all when I got to 357 due to my depression. But then I was put on a new med that actually causes its users to gain weight and I was taken off of it. Thank God. I don't eat much and get full fast but I guess like the nutritionist said it still matters what I put in my body.

I hope all my fellow Oct 2020 people are doing great as we approach our 1 year anniversary. FYI I was sleeved on Oct.5,2020

Hi Orchidlover

Hopefully by now you've figured out how to get and stay back on track. How was Thanksgiving for you? I am also struggling and stopped losing, as a matter of fact I've gained a few pounds. I was in a really bad car accident in July which caused me to be home and not doing any exercising other than physical therapy. I have now restarted as of last week doing a little walking. I actually pushed myself yesterday to do a little more than walk slowly and I felt OK. I have been home since my accident. Prior to the accident I was losing but very slowly, I mean extremely slow. I still took it as a win cuz at least I want gaining. We have to take all our victory laps regardless. I especially do this because, I have been and still am dealing with back issues and being on steroids all the time didn't help me. I also have not been eating right lately. I find myself ALWAYS hungry and always snacking and not always on healthy stuff that'll be conducive to weightloss. We know what we're doing wrong, we have the tools to do what's right but we are so much in our heads when we get off track, it blocks us from clearly seeing those said tools that'll help us to get back where we know we can abs want to be. Let's start today by not doing the things we have been doing lately, whether it's eating badly or not exercising and making excuses why we're doing these things. Once we put our minds to doing it we can. you've done it before to be able to lose 100 pounds.. which is a huge deal, congrats on that. I have only lost a total of 58 pounds and that's over two surgeries. I have had major setbacks but I'm not giving up and I'm going to stop letting those things get in the way of my success to get to a 100lb loss. Fight for this, you got it and you know how to. Good luck.

Ah, its nice to see ppl checking back on this thread. Its been over a year and I ve had my ups and downs like everyone. Had started a new job and the stress caused me to eat badly for 3 weeks. But I went back to my food plan after. Every time I messed up I always went back to the plan.

I wish I could do more for my diet and exercise , develop good life long eating habits....

I havent reached my goal weight yet and weight loss is real slow now. Hopefully by the start of 2022 I'll have implemented some changes to kick start the weight loss again.

Take care everyone.

I haven't reached goal weight either and had some gain - 6lbs. :( But not giving up and getting back on the wagon and going to get it right Still happy where I am as same clothes fit with the small gain. I know I can do this and am going to work hard to get it together.

I am post op bypass 13 months ( surgery was 10/07/2020) ) and am I now drinking alcohol every night . I have gained back a few pounds Like 8 and am scared to death. I feel like I am heading back toward terrible habits and need to regain back control now. I am working with a Psychologist that's not very good for PTSD issues and major depressive disorder. I have got control of that but I have now a new problem= alcohol! A year ago, I would never think of drinking on a week night or much at all but now it's become my new addiction and it leads to me over eating and then the dreaded weight gain. I have now drank every night for the past two months and I can't seem too let it go. This had never been me before as my family is filled with alcoholics and I could never understand it and now I do? It kills pain and drowns out so much. It definitely affects me differently after surgery and takes very little to have any affect at all. I am drunk or affected at sip 3. It is such a great escapism and good lord with Covid and the way of the world all I want to do is escape in a legal way and alcohol is legal. I am on disability and have a lot of pain issues and the doctors and psych's try to say its a lot mental / PTSD/ Stress related but they haven't lived in my body. I have had over 15 surgeries and have had many scars and all kinds of mesh - They don't live this body and don't feel my pain. They tell me I need to learn to live with it. Well hell , I am doing the best I can and alcohol does a great job of dimming that. But I know I need to find a better answer and am looking to my community as I know I can't be alone in my pain or journey. My New Year's resolution is to get back to that person that doesn't drink in response to pain. That learns to deal with it. That get's her weight under control in the meantime. Sending out an SOS to my community and asking for good advice or just shared empathy to know I am not the only one and that we do not travel on this journey alone.

57 minutes ago, Coexister said:

I am post op bypass 13 months ( surgery was 10/07/2020) ) and am I now drinking alcohol every night . I have gained back a few pounds Like 8 and am scared to death. I feel like I am heading back toward terrible habits and need to regain back control now. I am working with a Psychologist that's not very good for PTSD issues and major depressive disorder. I have got control of that but I have now a new problem= alcohol! A year ago, I would never think of drinking on a week night or much at all but now it's become my new addiction and it leads to me over eating and then the dreaded weight gain. I have now drank every night for the past two months and I can't seem too let it go. This had never been me before as my family is filled with alcoholics and I could never understand it and now I do? It kills pain and drowns out so much. It definitely affects me differently after surgery and takes very little to have any affect at all. I am drunk or affected at sip 3. It is such a great escapism and good lord with Covid and the way of the world all I want to do is escape in a legal way and alcohol is legal. I am on disability and have a lot of pain issues and the doctors and psych's try to say its a lot mental / PTSD/ Stress related but they haven't lived in my body. I have had over 15 surgeries and have had many scars and all kinds of mesh - They don't live this body and don't feel my pain. They tell me I need to learn to live with it. Well hell , I am doing the best I can and alcohol does a great job of dimming that. But I know I need to find a better answer and am looking to my community as I know I can't be alone in my pain or journey. My New Year's resolution is to get back to that person that doesn't drink in response to pain. That learns to deal with it. That get's her weight under control in the meantime. Sending out an SOS to my community and asking for good advice or just shared empathy to know I am not the only one and that we do not travel on this journey alone.

Hey,

I am sorry to hear you're going through this. Just to say a few things if I can ?

Youve lost so much weight in roughly a year and that's no easy achievement so well done you.

If your psychologist isn't suited for you then you need to see someone else. I am not from the US so I don't know how it works , but definitely request a change.

You say you drink because of escapism / pain which is two different things right ? In regards to the pain, keep seeking medical advice, maybe look into alternative medicine that's more homeopathic ? Either way it needs to be addressed, don't give up on finding help.

I know these times are difficult, covid and isolation is making it a struggle. Keep your support systems close to you, whether that be certain family members or friends or online communities. Keep reaching out for positive support.

Please take care and keep us updated.

16 hours ago, Coexister said:

So sorry to hear you're having these problems. If you haven't seen it already I'd suggest watching Dr Weiner's Youtube video about alcohol use after gastric bypass - the video and the comments are very interesting. Judging by what he says it seems that gastric surgery can trigger alcohol abuse, and that the same amount of alcohol will affect more strongly after surgery.

He suggests that zero alcohol after gastric bypass is the best way - maybe keeping no alcohol at home at all?

You're definitely not alone. I've been teetotal for nearly 35 years - I just wasn't interested in drinking alcohol at all - and I found his video a few months ago because I was trying to work out why all of a sudden after surgery I was craving an alcoholic drink - it's bizarre! The last thing I expected.

But you've already overcome the food addiction and lost loads of weight - you can definitely overcome these cravings. Stay strong - life has been so rubbish with covid, but hopefully we're coming out the other side now.

Hi everyone just checking in since all of us have or are near our 2 year anniversary date.

Started at 220
I stopped loosing weight current weight fluctuates 146-140

My eating habits have been pretty much the same eating every 2-3 hrs and my drinking of fluids is about 40-50 oz some days more some days not even close but try to stay on track with that as I noticed when I don’t drink enough fluids I eat more junk.

Started to develop dumping síndrome or what ever it might be but mid morning I have to rush to Amy bathroom afraid of an accident :(

How’s everyone else????

I settled around 135-140. I get obscenely tired if I eat bad food, too much, or too fast - like so tired I literally feel like I will die if I don’t lie down!!! I feel like it is my version of “dumping”. I avoid high fat and sugary foods on work days to keep this from happening at work. When I eat too many carbs over a few days I get very lethargic. If something isn’t going to agree with me I start burping and get the hiccups within about 5 mins. I cannot eat ice cream 😭😭😭 It is the only sweet food so far that I cannot touch without feeling like death! Not even a bite or two. Also, I need to have a drink with electrolytes twice a day. I have noticed a huge difference in my mood and energy level when I don’t have them. I drink 60-90oz a day.

I didn’t end up with much loose skin, but my boobs hang super low haha 😂 . I also have “four butt” (like four boob, but on my butt). Any underwear I put on has part of my cheeks inside and then the rest of it hanging below the panty line. Four butt cheeks 🤣.

A guy in my support group developed bad dumping syndrome between 2 and 2.5 years out. He said he could only eat 12 grams of sugar in one sitting or else he would dump. You may want to check how much you’re having - you may still be able to eat some sugar if you count it out.

On 10/22/2022 at 20:51, Lilfootie said:

I settled around 135-140. I get obscenely tired if I eat bad food, too much, or too fast - like so tired I literally feel like I will die if I don’t lie down!!! I feel like it is my version of “dumping”. I avoid high fat and sugary foods on work days to keep this from happening at work. When I eat too many carbs over a few days I get very lethargic. If something isn’t going to agree with me I start burping and get the hiccups within about 5 mins. I cannot eat ice cream 😭😭😭 It is the only sweet food so far that I cannot touch without feeling like death! Not even a bite or two. Also, I need to have a drink with electrolytes twice a day. I have noticed a huge difference in my mood and energy level when I don’t have them. I drink 60-90oz a day.

I didn’t end up with much loose skin, but my boobs hang super low haha 😂 . I also have “four butt” (like four boob, but on my butt). Any underwear I put on has part of my cheeks inside and then the rest of it hanging below the panty line. Four butt cheeks 🤣.

A guy in my support group developed bad dumping syndrome between 2 and 2.5 years out. He said he could only eat 12 grams of sugar in one sitting or else he would dump. You may want to check how much you’re having - you may still be able to eat some sugar if you count it out.

Hahaha my my ass and boons are not a glimpse of what they use to be!!!!

I didn’t end up with to much loose skin either.

I do work out too try to a minimum of 3 days week.

Hi there wondering how everyone is doing????
Current weight is 142
5”3
I eat every 2-3 hrs snack and have three bigger meals which is Breakfast lunch and dinner. Still could only have about 5-7 spoon fool of the larger meals. Rice does not agree with me I figure it may never. Alcohol hits me super fast so I have to be very careful!

Got my date and insurance approval. Monday dec 4