Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this okay? So I was super hungry and today for Breakfast I ate an egg muffin just one and it went down slowly and I chewed it into little tiny tiny pieces so far no backups! Is this okay? I don’t see my surgeon until a week or so. I’m supposed to be on purée but that say well but now I feel like my body wants a foods. I’m not in any pain or so I wonder if this should be okay. I’m going to text my doctor and let him know I ate one in a half lol but just wondering if anyone did this at 6days post op as in trying anything small out ?

So long as you're not in any pain I don't think there's any immediate worry. But the primary reason for the slow introduction of solid foods is to ensure that nothing interferes with your stomach's healing. Each time you deviate from your surgeon's recommendations is taking a risk that could jeopardize your recovery. I'm only one month out and fortunately haven't had any issues, but I did try a pistachio too early on for my stomach... I was sick for hours. Afterwards I've been following my doctor's instructions to the letter and have been doing well.

The post-op diet is bland and boring, but it's manageable and will get much more interesting in the coming weeks. I couldn't handle pureed meat, so I spent some time working on some high-protein recipes to keep me going until then:

• Blend 1c low-fat ricotta, 1-2 T caramelized onions, and some finely chopped rosemary using a hand blender for a great whipped ricotta dip.
  • Pressure cooked some cannelini Beans and blended with a touch of olive oil, lemon juice and zest for a white bean dip.
  • Straight up refried beans from my local tex-mex place. 1 side portion lasted several meals. Not really a recipe...
  • Scrape vanilla bean seeds & add pod to low-fat milk and steep over low heat. Remove pod, combine with sugar-free cheesecake pudding and a little bit of almond extract. Tasted like an amaretto cheesecake!

This was my entire diet along with cottage cheese and shakes. In fact, this was way too much- I could only finish a couple of these before my soft foods stage. Best of luck 🤗

Well there is nothing you can do about it now, but no - your sutures are still healing and this could be very harmful.

I wouldn't do this again. The first few weeks - you will have "head hunger" bad.. Where your mind has not caught up with your stomach & you'll THINK you're hungry and crave all the bad foods you previously ate. You have to work through that stage, because it's not safe to eat solid foods at this point.

Just monitor yourself for a few days to make sure you haven't harmed yourself. And be very gentle with your tummy/body -- it is healing right now.

Good luck.

Well, you're supposed to still be on liquids so it wasn't the best idea, but it's too late now. You shouldn't be eating egg muffins probably until soft foods stage which for me was week 3.

Edited by NovaLuna

I dont mind that you ate an egg Mcmuffin. Im more concerned that you said you were hungry 6 days post op. You shouldn't be hungry at all.

11 minutes ago, summerset said:

Says who? The interwebz?

Yup. I had that "head hunger" bad in the first few weeks & it really makes you believe you're hungry. MANY people on here have discussed having this on here. It is not uncommon at all. For most - it is all in your head, but perception is reality..

Nope, not OK. One slip leads to another.

Omg! Thanks you guys ! Yes okay so after I finished chewing for darn near two hours on tiny pieces I noticed I got super full super fast . And was Super uncomfortable my back started hurting to no end. To combat the back ache I had to walk a mile around the back yard and therefore You guys are right ! Won’t try that again! I’ll stick to my purée for now. And yes! It’s so weird I still get hungry but I’m not on a specific regime and I think that’s my problem. I started to write down a schedule to eat but 4-6x 4oz meals and Snacks of Protein in between. Thank god I am meeting with my dietician this week. I honestly need help in developing the correct diet for me. For everyone I had the modified duodenal switch which includes the gastric sleeve a bit bigger than the norm. So far the best thing about my procedure is that I can keep up to 60z down of Water down with no problem as of today. But I truly appreciate you all for your comments. This is a new road untraveled for me 🤍

4 hours ago, MsMocie said:

My question is how do you handle it? eggs was a huge no-no for me for a long, long time, and boiled eggs are even now way down on things I manage to eat.

It went down okay until my back said Hey?! What are You Doing to Mi Bones !! 🤣🤣Oh! MsMocie! I did follow your page because I read that you are pescatarian/vegan! I am willing to try this route. Being that all of my aunts are! I even screenshot the post of purée veggies into soups! Great idea ! And thanks for the knowledge 🌟

You ask if it was ok to eat an egg mcmuffin for Breakfast. So I ask you...does your program allow you to eat egg mcmuffins in the first 6 days of post op? What would your doctor say if you told him? These programs are designed for your safety as well as to help you lose weight. Just my opinion but considering the amount of money people shell out for this surgery...why not do the right thing and stick to the program?? Seems like a waste trying to lose weight if your going to go and eat crappy food right after surgery. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Scooterbugg said:

why not do the right thing and stick to the program?? Seems like a waste trying to lose weight if your going to go and eat crappy food right after surgery. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yeah, why not do the right thing and simply "stick to the program"?

1) She thought it would be fun and perfectly ok to eat an egg mcmuffin that early out.

2) She wanted to sabotage her success on purpose.

3) Disordered eating got the better of her.

I opt for number 3!

Stop being so damn self-righteous about this!

Same thing with alcohol or nicotine while still in the healing phase. Addiction/dependency got the better of people.

Luckily most of the time no serious consequences.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:35 AM, KrissyNY said:

Is this okay? So I was super hungry and today for Breakfast I ate an egg muffin just one and it went down slowly and I chewed it into little tiny tiny pieces so far no backups! Is this okay? I don’t see my surgeon until a week or so. I’m supposed to be on purée but that say well but now I feel like my body wants a foods. I’m not in any pain or so I wonder if this should be okay. I’m going to text my doctor and let him know I ate one in a half lol but just wondering if anyone did this at 6days post op as in trying anything small out ?

Its not the first time ive seen it on here. Still amazes me that people can get it down